2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 1500 4x4 lost brake pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 07:42 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 1500 4x4 lost brake pressure

I haven't made any brake repairs since about last July(replaced RF caliper and rotor, didn't replace LF because I couldn't get the rotor off, saved that trouble for another day, since the right side was good enough for me). Brakes have been working just fine since repair.

A few days ago, I noticed a spongy brake pedal. She was still stopping ok, though. Yesterday, I was getting off of the highway, coming to a red light, with a vehicle in front of me, pressed the brake pedal, spongy at first, then all the way to the floor, brake light and ABS light on dash came on and I barely got her stopped short of the tailgate of the truck in front of me. Cautiously drove to a parking lot, noticing that after a few seconds or minutes of driving, I had a good pedal(semi-stiff, that is), then she went back to the floor. Once safely parked, I checked the brake fluid. I thought, for sure, that I'd find the reservoir low or completely empty. It wasn't(level about halfway between full and add). After completing my grocery shopping, started the truck, no warning lights on the dash, good pedal before I put her in gear. Slowly backed out of the parking spot, both warning lights came back on and pedal went back to the floor.

Since I had a bunch of perishables in the truck, and since I have an aversion to working on cars in parking lots, and because I'm a bit of a daredevil(read: hard-headed moron), I, very carefully drove her home, making sure to allow plenty of space between vehicles, and plenty of time for stopping.

Again, after a few miles of driving, she had good pedal for a second, followed by very spongy for a second, followed by pedal to the floor(but still stopping).

I didn't check the fluid level when I got her home last night(had groceries to put away, dinner to make, then forgot about the issue). This morning, the brake reservoir is still about halfway between full and add.

Thoughts? Master cylinder? Prop valve? Booster?

Old 01-23-2020, 07:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Sounds a lot like a failed master cylinder.

The following users liked this post:
99CubbyBlue1500 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 07:55 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Sounds a lot like a failed master cylinder.
Big job? Keep in mind that I live in the lake effect snow belt of NW Indiana and that it's 30*.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Working outside in the snow and the cold makes ANY job somewhat less than what I would consider "pleasant".....

It's two bolts, two lines, and maybe an electrical connector. Need to bench-bleed the new master, and you will likely have to bleed the entire brake system as well, to get all the air out of it. (be prepared for bleeders to break off.......) That is just gonna suck working outside in the cold...... If you know someone that has a garage you could borrow for a few hours, that would make your life a WHOLE lot more pleasant.

If you have the option, pay someone else to deal with it.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:14 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

Working outside in the snow and the cold makes ANY job somewhat less than what I would consider "pleasant".....

It's two bolts, two lines, and maybe an electrical connector. Need to bench-bleed the new master, and you will likely have to bleed the entire brake system as well, to get all the air out of it. (be prepared for bleeders to break off.......) That is just gonna suck working outside in the cold...... If you know someone that has a garage you could borrow for a few hours, that would make your life a WHOLE lot more pleasant.

If you have the option, pay someone else to deal with it.
Any brand of master cylinder that I should avoid? From a bit of research, I see that reman masters are crap. Duralast? Dorman(does Dorman make anything that's not crap)? OEM?

Old 01-23-2020, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I am not really a fan of Duralast, or Dorman.... Cardone is kinda hit and miss....... Not sure who else is out there any more.....

May wanna have a look at the rear brake line first though. They tend to rust out, and break, back by the gas tank..... the fluid doesn't always make it to the ground right away...... so it isn't an obvious leak..... fluid loss may not be apparent right away either...... Wheel cylinders are also famous for that......

Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

I am not really a fan of Duralast, or Dorman.... Cardone is kinda hit and miss....... Not sure who else is out there any more.....

May wanna have a look at the rear brake line first though. They tend to rust out, and break, back by the gas tank..... the fluid doesn't always make it to the ground right away...... so it isn't an obvious leak..... fluid loss may not be apparent right away either...... Wheel cylinders are also famous for that......
Ugh! I was afraid you were gonna say that(the rear line). If it was a wheel cylinder, wouldn't it be losing fluid rather quickly?

Also, thoughts on AC Delco masters?

Old 01-23-2020, 12:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CubbyBlue1500
Ugh! I was afraid you were gonna say that(the rear line). If it was a wheel cylinder, wouldn't it be losing fluid rather quickly?

Also, thoughts on AC Delco masters?
I know ACDelco makes good steering components. Why not upgrade to the hydro boost setup? It will be more money but you will have better brakes.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:28 PM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I know ACDelco makes good steering components. Why not upgrade to the hydro boost setup? It will be more money but you will have better brakes.
I don't know what hydro boost is.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:52 PM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

Other than getting under the truck and climbing, somehow, to the top of the fuel tank, how do I check the rear line? Forgive my ignorance. I've never done this before(replaced rear brake lines).

Quick Reply: 99 1500 4x4 lost brake pressure