2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water pump Spanner wrench, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 AM
KevinK
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump Spanner wrench, which one?

I'm changing out the water pump on my '97 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.9 liter) and wondering what clutch fan tool people are using? (ie. one with spanner pins spaced at 4 1/4")

I purchased the Lisle 44180 Fan Clutch spanner wrench ahead of the job, but it doesn't appear it's the one. Noting there are two sets of pins on this tool, one pair spaced at 2 1/2", the others at 3".
Just to note, the factory water pump was still on the truck, which (for those who may not know) does not have holes for spanner wrench pins, the pump pulley is bolted (with 4 bolts) to the pump. Easy enough to remove the fan by placing a screw driver across two opposite bolts to hold the pulley, then using a (36mm) wrench on the large clutch fan bolt.
Anyway, looking at the replacement water pumps (even the OEM Mopar pump, PN# 53021018) the pulleys are not bolted as original, and a spanner wrench will be needed to reassemble the clutch fan. HENCE the need for a spanner wrench. If anyone can confirm the hole spacing on an OEM (replacement pump as shown below) please let me know. I believe this spacing is 4 1/4" based on measuring an ACDelco (PN# DEL 252-1025) replacement pump.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin

Old 01-25-2020, 10:45 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinK
I'm changing out the water pump on my '97 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.9 liter) and wondering what clutch fan tool people are using? (ie. one with spanner pins spaced at 4 1/4")

I purchased the Lisle 44180 Fan Clutch spanner wrench ahead of the job, but it doesn't appear it's the one. Noting there are two sets of pins on this tool, one pair spaced at 2 1/2", the others at 3".
Just to note, the factory water pump was still on the truck, which (for those who may not know) does not have holes for spanner wrench pins, the pump pulley is bolted (with 4 bolts) to the pump. Easy enough to remove the fan by placing a screw driver across two opposite bolts to hold the pulley, then using a (36mm) wrench on the large clutch fan bolt.
Anyway, looking at the replacement water pumps (even the OEM Mopar pump, PN# 53021018) the pulleys are not bolted as original, and a spanner wrench will be needed to reassemble the clutch fan. HENCE the need for a spanner wrench. If anyone can confirm the hole spacing on an OEM (replacement pump as shown below) please let me know. I believe this spacing is 4 1/4" based on measuring an ACDelco (PN# DEL 252-1025) replacement pump.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin

I used a pry bar and big channel locks

Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

When I did mine, I just put everything on the front of the engine together, including the serpentine belt...... threaded the fan on, and just let the belt hold the pulley in place. Fan stayed on.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:53 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

You can find the tool at any oreillys. I've also used a bug wrench and hammer.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:49 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

I've got a set of diesel fan wrenches and it uses the smaller one. I think it's 1 1/4. If I get time and think about it tomorrow, I measure it.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Usually all you need is a large adjustable wrench and a BFH to get it off and on. Serp belt needs to be on.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've got a set of diesel fan wrenches and it uses the smaller one. I think it's 1 1/4. If I get time and think about it tomorrow, I measure it.
I measured my wrench set. It looks to be 1 3/8. It's the long one in the picture.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:52 PM
KevinK
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post, I'm looking for what SPANNER TOOL with pin spacing of 4 1/4", not the large (36mm) wrench for the clutch fan nut.
I had no difficulty getting the (36mm) nut loose, again noting the original water pump pulley was BOLT on. Most of the replacement water pumps have PRESS on pulleys (and holes for a spanner wrench) that's why
I'm looking for what spanner wrench people may have used to hold the pulley while replacing the clutch fan.

Also noting, I've seen many references to use the Lisle 44180 spanner tool, but it has pin spacings of 2 1/2" and 3"............ but the hole spacing on the pump pulley is 4 1/4" (center to center).

If I don't find the proper spanner tool, then I'll go ahead and use a strap wrench (or belt in place to hold) but I'm holding out hopes I'll find one. Yes, there are spanner tools out there that are 'adjustable', but that comes back to my question, if someone has used one, I'd be interested to know of one that did work.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Old 01-26-2020, 04:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinK
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post, I'm looking for what SPANNER TOOL with pin spacing of 4 1/4", not the large (36mm) wrench for the clutch fan nut.
I had no difficulty getting the (36mm) nut loose, again noting the original water pump pulley was BOLT on. Most of the replacement water pumps have PRESS on pulleys (and holes for a spanner wrench) that's why
I'm looking for what spanner wrench people may have used to hold the pulley while replacing the clutch fan.

Also noting, I've seen many references to use the Lisle 44180 spanner tool, but it has pin spacings of 2 1/2" and 3"............ but the hole spacing on the pump pulley is 4 1/4" (center to center).

If I don't find the proper spanner tool, then I'll go ahead and use a strap wrench (or belt in place to hold) but I'm holding out hopes I'll find one. Yes, there are spanner tools out there that are 'adjustable', but that comes back to my question, if someone has used one, I'd be interested to know of one that did work.

Thanks again,

Kevin
The one I used I rented at Advance Auto but my last time there they had one where you have to put bolts into the holes (didn't supply the bolts) and it had two hooks that hooked the bolts

Old 01-26-2020, 04:07 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Get piece of flat stock, wide one. Grind recess for the pump hub, drill couple of holes and insert bolts through. Mount to the pulley and tighten the fan clutch.

Or, insert long bolt through the pulley hole, and use crow bar to hold the pulley while you tighten the fan clutch.

Quick Reply: Water pump Spanner wrench, which one?