2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Cummins 2500 Frankenstein Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 PM
MMark
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Will keep my eyes open out here for the manual, and good call. I am new to Diesels, but been interesting hearing about the Bosch being so easy to tune for quick gains.

For the KDP, I need to do that bad. First thing mechanically after the body will be the ball joints. They are all pretty shot. My uncle used this as his Baja runner for years and it was pretty abused. I will throw in some pics when we started and it was really rough. Testament to the 5.9 though after a simple tune up, new batteries, swapping the water separator, and the lift pump she runs like a top. Put this way, the tranni fluid was black and burnt worse than I have ever seen and I know the same care was given all the way around.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:47 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Before you swap out ball joints jack the truck up and check how much movement the wheel will move, when you a pry bar to physical move the wheel up/down and side/to side. chances are its just the steering linkage, pitman arm/drag link and/or track bar. Typically on dodges the upper ball joint goes and you can see it wiggling/moving. My 2016 chevy silverado z71 needed upper/lower arms, struts, and one front axle shaft cv ($4k) worth of parts in total. My main driver is a 01 dodge 1500, only options 4wd, rear posi and a massively under powered 5.2L magnum. Only reason is I get free gas from work. On my 2010 cummins the 351vgt turbo is broken and the rear tires have no tread left (sadly not from burn outs, just from haulin heavy crap). Your HX35 is way better turbo 57mm vs. my 59mm inducer size vgt crap.

The following users liked this post:
MMark (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 09:15 PM
MMark
Rookie

Here’s the test fit for the Gen 4 bumper swap. I am going to color match both front and rear bumpers with the 1H5 code Toyota Cement Gray. My one regret was going cheap on the brackets. I bought the 30.00 ones you see on Amazon/EBay and got what I paid for. The holes lined up perfect on bumper, but will need to modify the frame mounting. So far it’s working, but I am not happy with it.

Picked these up today from Escondido Plating. Highly recommend them for anyone here in SoCal. The owner is a good old salt, and so is his crew. True professionals. The haze is the soda used to neutralize the acid after it’s dipped. Was going to bead blast them, but a painter friend recommended stripping. The nickel is still left, but the primer should stick just fine.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by MMark
Mopar, thanks brother, would love to see what you are doing, and if you need spare parts let me know. I did three or four junk yard runs and have some extra stuff you may need.

Mike, thanks for the tips, definitely will be picking your brain on the tune up. She’s an auto, but not my first choice. Down the road I would like to swap it out. I plan on keeping her for life and with only 279,000 and clean motor it will be fun to see how many miles in my lifetime I can put on it.

Not a body guy, but learning from some pros. Definitely an art, but learning as best I can.
I have a thread titled "2001 2500 Restoration" i did the opposite as you built a cushion suspension lift and ajm now into the bodies. Bought it cheap ($400) and sold the Cummins engines and transmissions (auto and manual) swapped in a 360 V8 (5.9L) in preparation for the hellephant engine and it will run low 9s. You can buy the NV4500 freon rockauto for about 2K. I would buy it now because eventually you won't be able to. Im swapping in a new 8spd behind the Hellephant

The following users liked this post:
MMark (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

MMark, I like the newer 4th gen bumpers on the 2nd gen. I have buddy with a 1st gen power wagon, I got him to run the 3/4ton third gen wheels 33 in tires. He got them free off buddy from work. I had iron cross bumpers on my 4th gen, but I didn't like them. Made the truck look way too pretty for a work truck. I had 35in 20's on the truck. I will see if I can find pictures. I've had a pile of dodge pick-ups over the years, probably every four years. Probably average 60-100k miles per year, just got to really appreciate the 2nd gen dodge's for the quality value that they are. Diesel have way more power/torque than a gaser could ever dream about. Still love a sound of high reving 5.9 cummings grabin lots of boost.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:00 PM
MMark
Rookie

I’m with you, the sound of diesel and the idea of getting 600,000 to 900,000 on a motor. Your experience tuning them up, any issues if you keep the horse power modest at 330-360? Minus trans of course. Rear end, or drive shaft issues?

Mopar sounds good brother, will check out your thread but sounds like a nice build. If you need trim stuff or dash pieces let me know. Doubled up on a lot of pieces when the local pick a part had a 40% off sale.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I’m with you, the sound of diesel and the idea of getting 600,000 to 900,000 on a motor. Your experience tuning them up, any issues if you keep the horse power modest at 330-360? Minus trans of course. Rear end, or drive shaft issues?

Mopar sounds good brother, will check out your thread but sounds like a nice build. If you need trim stuff or dash pieces let me know. Doubled up on a lot of pieces when the local pick a part had a 40% off sale.
40% off I would have done the same. I would have cleaned them out can't waiter to see what you do to this truck

Old 03-27-2020, 01:26 PM
MMark
Rookie

Got lucky indeed, the best part was they had a 1997 Laramie that was pretty pristine. Minimal wear on the seats clean dash frame (pad was junk like all of them) but frame was clean. They were using it as their yard runner and hadn’t allowed picking on it, but when I explained the build the yard manager gave me a crack at it.

So if you can imagine it, this donor was a complete driver two hours before. Grabbed the dash, steering column (had a leather wheel in good shape and mine is crap), seat foam both driver and passenger in good shape, complete doors, inside molding, under the seat cup holder, grill, tail lights, an old Kenwood Amp.

Now the surprise, taking the dash out there was a dead rat inside the dash. No joke. It must have been there for years as it looked was dry as a bone, but grabbing the lot described above for 275.00 bucks made it worth it.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Got lucky indeed, the best part was they had a 1997 Laramie that was pretty pristine. Minimal wear on the seats clean dash frame (pad was junk like all of them) but frame was clean. They were using it as their yard runner and hadn’t allowed picking on it, but when I explained the build the yard manager gave me a crack at it.

So if you can imagine it, this donor was a complete driver two hours before. Grabbed the dash, steering column (had a leather wheel in good shape and mine is crap), seat foam both driver and passenger in good shape, complete doors, inside molding, under the seat cup holder, grill, tail lights, an old Kenwood Amp.

Now the surprise, taking the dash out there was a dead rat inside the dash. No joke. It must have been there for years as it looked was dry as a bone, but grabbing the lot described above for 275.00 bucks made it worth it.
I would have been all over it to!

Old 03-27-2020, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

How much did they want for the rat?

Quick Reply: 1996 Cummins 2500 Frankenstein Build