2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Cummins 2500 Frankenstein Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 11:37 PM
MMark
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pristine used dash 75.00 dollars , almost squeezing a dead rat carcass when removing it not so priceless.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:37 PM
MMark
Rookie

Pristine used dash 75.00 dollars , almost squeezing a dead rat carcass when removing it not so priceless.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:42 PM
MMark
Rookie

I started working on the car audio today. Currently there’s a factory head unit, the front speakers are blown, and there’s no sound coming from the rear. The goal is to install a Kenwood Amp pulled from the pick a part and mount it along side a Tripp Lite Power Inverter on the rear panel.

Found the issue, instead of rear speakers I found bags of carpet padding. There are no wires so I will run some 18 gauge.

Here’s the Inverter and Amp mounted on the board. Used an old galvanized strap and some heat shrink to secure the inverter. Heat gun took a crap, but I will add a second strap and run the power and ground.

Used some attic Insulation from Home Depot and 3M adhesive spray to add a better heat barrier to the rear panel.

Some old galvanized metal strips lying around in the garage were used to secure the board to rear panel.

Will finish mounting it tomorrow, but here’s where I stopped.

Last edited by MMark; 03-28-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:08 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MMark
I’m with you, the sound of diesel and the idea of getting 600,000 to 900,000 on a motor. Your experience tuning them up, any issues if you keep the horse power modest at 330-360? Minus trans of course. Rear end, or drive shaft issues?
Hard to say depends on how the motor was taken care of and abused. Without doing compression checks/leakdown checks, it would be hard to say exactly. I would think that a 160HP cummins that be taken care of should easily do 1000000miles. Seen a few truck with more than on there original engines. The only issues is the driveshaft steady bearing (they then to wear out fast). The dana 70 aren't known to be overly strong, I've broken a few of them (pinion bearings/true trac's). I usually upgrade at that point to a dana 80.

Wow you lucked out on some decent interior parts, I wouldn't mind finding a better premium slt cloth seat for my truck as some point. I just have the basic 1500 half ton.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:59 PM
MMark
Rookie

For cloth, I will look around for you, buddy said there’s he’s got a connection out here that builds private jets. They sometimes have seat material left over (high end stuff that’s cheap to buy). Only issue is color is what you get but will keep your posted. If I find some will PM you the price.

Seats are getting upholstered this week locally out here in So Cal will let you know how it goes. Guy is really good, and has dodge fabric that was extra material so the price is reasonable. Guys in So Cal, and could probably make you an extra set of replacement covers, I guess the kick would be finding somewhere where you are at to install it. Will send you photos once complete.

Thanks for the Drive shaft tip, will look at doing that and the KDP at the same time. If you know a good tuner let me know too. Hoping to have the paint done early next week and the motor is step two.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Hard to say depends on how the motor was taken care of and abused. Without doing compression checks/leakdown checks, it would be hard to say exactly. I would think that a 160HP cummins that be taken care of should easily do 1000000miles. Seen a few truck with more than on there original engines. The only issues is the driveshaft steady bearing (they then to wear out fast). The dana 70 aren't known to be overly strong, I've broken a few of them (pinion bearings/true trac's). I usually upgrade at that point to a dana 80.

Wow you lucked out on some decent interior parts, I wouldn't mind finding a better premium slt cloth seat for my truck as some point. I just have the basic 1500 half ton.
Dana 80 is only moderately stronger than a 70.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

For cloth, I will look around for you, buddy said there’s he’s got a connection out here that builds private jets. They sometimes have seat material left over (high end stuff that’s cheap to buy). Only issue is color is what you get but will keep your posted. If I find some will PM you the price.

Seats are getting upholstered this week locally out here in So Cal will let you know how it goes. Guy is really good, and has dodge fabric that was extra material so the price is reasonable. Guys in So Cal, and could probably make you an extra set of replacement covers, I guess the kick would be finding somewhere where you are at to install it. Will send you photos once complete.

Thanks for the Drive shaft tip, will look at doing that and the KDP at the same time. If you know a good tuner let me know too. Hoping to have the paint done early next week and the motor is step two.
Most go with katskin leather upholstery

Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 PM
MMark
Rookie

Katzkin seems pretty decent for the all leather, the vinyl side with leather seems like a better price point for sure. If this connection works out though, you basically buy a whole hyde Local guy out here would upholster it. Should be about the same price as the Katzkin Vinyl leather side, but it’s Spanish leather. Will see though, did you install the Katzkin covers yourself or take it to a pro? Seems like a good set up if you can install them yourself. The center console seems like it would be a pain though.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Katzkin seems pretty decent for the all leather, the vinyl side with leather seems like a better price point for sure. If this connection works out though, you basically buy a whole hyde Local guy out here would upholster it. Should be about the same price as the Katzkin Vinyl leather side, but it’s Spanish leather. Will see though, did you install the Katzkin covers yourself or take it to a pro? Seems like a good set up if you can install them yourself. The center console seems like it would be a pain though.
I have them, just have to install them. I opted for heated and cooled seats, gel inserted, and massagers.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:44 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Dana 80 is only moderately stronger than a 70.
Larger pinion bearing, stronger axles. You can make a hybrid dana 70/80, but why dana 80 are available cheap. I doubt you can break one with a gasser.

Quick Reply: 1996 Cummins 2500 Frankenstein Build