2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 ram transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 ram transmission swap

So I got a tuff question here my 2001 ram 1500 with the 5.2l originally had a auto transmission and somewheres down the line someone out a manual in it, my question is when doing this swap does the engine computer need to be changed aswell? Because I noticed the front o2 sensor closest to the engine was unplugged and when I plugged in back in and the engine got up to temperature I noticed better fuel mileage and the truck seemed to run fine but when I stopped it had a very rough idle and was trying to stall out and the exhaust coming out the tip was burning hot! Like waySo I unplugged the sensor again and it started to work fine, so my question is is it maybe because the o2 sensor the sensor for the auto and they just never bothered replacing it? My local parts store said that the auto and manual have different o2 sensors, any help would be appreciated thanks!

Last edited by Joeyarsenault92; 05-18-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeyarsenault92
So I got a tuff question here my 2001 ram 1500 with the 5.2l originally had a auto transmission and somewheres down the line someone out a manual in it, my question is when doing this swap does the engine computer need to be changed aswell? Because I noticed the front o2 sensor closest to the engine was unplugged and when I plugged in back in and the engine got up to temperature I noticed better fuel mileage and the truck seemed to run fine but when I stopped it had a very rough idle and was trying to stall out and the exhaust coming out the tip was burning hot! So I unplugged the sensor again and it started to work fine, so my question is is it maybe because the o2 sensor the sensor for the auto and they just never bothered replacing it? My local parts store said that the auto and manual have different o2 sensors, any help would be appreciated thanks!
To my knowledge no. I am positive the O2 sensors are the same. When going from a Auto to Manual you have two options. Use the Auto PCM and just deal with the check engine light or get a Manual PCM/Flash.

After about 10 minutes of the truck running it starts to look at the O2 sensors and if they are bad it can cause issues. So a way to get around it is to unplug them.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:00 PM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
To my knowledge no. I am positive the O2 sensors are the same. When going from a Auto to Manual you have two options. Use the Auto PCM and just deal with the check engine light or get a Manual PCM/Flash.

After about 10 minutes of the truck running it starts to look at the O2 sensors and if they are bad it can cause issues. So a way to get around it is to unplug them.
I always did have a check engine light on but I also have the no bus where my miles should read, but all my dash gauges work, canadian tire listed 2 different sensors for the manual and the auto with different prices so I wanted to try a new sensor but was unsure of witch one I should get

Old 05-18-2020, 02:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I would go with the sensor for the original auto trans. There ARE two different sensors, but, so far as I know, the only difference between the two is the length of the pigtail, and maybe a different connector.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:31 PM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would go with the sensor for the original auto trans. There ARE two different sensors, but, so far as I know, the only difference between the two is the length of the pigtail, and maybe a different connector.
Thank you I will try that! So it sounds like it's just my sensor might be screwed?

Old 05-18-2020, 07:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think there's a good chance of that. NTK or Denso sensor only though. Skip Bosch, they tend to cause more problems than you are trying to solve.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:43 PM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think there's a good chance of that. NTK or Denso sensor only though. Skip Bosch, they tend to cause more problems than you are trying to solve.
I'll look into thoes for sure there is so much uncertainty with this truck but I love it haha, your really smart heyYou would you know why when I first start the truck I can see how many miles are on it then after a minutes the no bus shows up yet all my gauges work fine? Something to do with the tranny swap maybe?

Old 05-19-2020, 08:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That one, I don't know. Usually, the "no bus" means the cluster has lost communication with the PCM, but, as your gauges are still working..... it's obviously still talking to the PCM..... May be a fault with the cluster itself.... but, can't say for sure.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:59 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeyarsenault92
I'll look into thoes for sure there is so much uncertainty with this truck but I love it haha, your really smart heyYou would you know why when I first start the truck I can see how many miles are on it then after a minutes the no bus shows up yet all my gauges work fine? Something to do with the tranny swap maybe?
Pull the cluster codes

Old 05-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Pull the cluster codes
I tried hooking up my code reader and it wouldnt pick it up I figured it wasent communicating because of the can bus problem

Quick Reply: 2001 ram transmission swap