2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Stock is like .460 or something or other, max without changing other parts is .480.

With stock heads/bottom end, I would stick with a cam that wanted to play in the 1000-5000 RPM range, designed for towing/RV. What intake ya have on there? If you are still running the kegger, then you REALLY want to stick with a cam that builds its power down low, as if you try and run higher RPM, the kegger will choke you out. I think it maxs out at around 4500 or so...... (mainly due to runner length.)
I am going to change the springs as they float around 5000. I do plan on changing the kegger to the FI Airgap. I am going to call Hughes, Comp, and UTAWESOME Performance and see what they recommend. I did make turbo manifolds for a dual turbo setup on the 360 apparently they will handle 10 pounds of boost on the bottom end.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

You want an entirely different style of cam profile if you are going to run boost. Minimal overlap. No point blowing your fuel/air charge right out the exhaust valve.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

You want an entirely different style of cam profile if you are going to run boost. Minimal overlap. No point blowing your fuel/air charge right out the exhaust valve.
That's not until I get the 408 done or the Hemi comes (whichever comes first) I just thought it was pretty neat that stock they can run 10 pounds of boost.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
That's not until I get the 408 done or the Hemi comes (whichever comes first) I just thought it was pretty neat that stock they can run 10 pounds of boost.
Yeah, the bottom end is stout, too bad Dodge scrimped so much on the heads.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:33 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yeah, the bottom end is stout, too bad Dodge scrimped so much on the heads.
That is true
What do you think about this? Just called Hughes and they recommended the this cam along with their custom tune, upgraded springs, cam bolt and washer, and camshaft key.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, that looks tasty. Do you still have the stock converter in there?

Old 05-26-2020, 10:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yeah, that looks tasty. Do you still have the stock converter in there?
Yeah I was going to replace it with a stock one from the company MonteC recommended. What did you have in mind? Also according to their instructions they want me to use a very specific break in oil and regular oil. I'm just a little confused here lol.

Also do I lost the tune before talking it to the dealer to set the fuel sync?

Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I was thinking maybe bumping stall up a couple hundred RPM.... Maybe around 2k or so? I think stock is 1600-1800 or some such...... Let the engine get further into the power band before putting too much demand on it.

I think Hughes just has an oil additive for break-in, but, not 100% sure on that. Best to ask 'em. Seems they DON'T want synthetic oil though.

I think you can go either way with the tune. It would run better with it though, which might make life easier, both getting it TO the shop, and having it idle properly while they are setting it up. You don't have a scanner that can read fuel sync??

Old 05-26-2020, 10:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I was thinking maybe bumping stall up a couple hundred RPM.... Maybe around 2k or so? I think stock is 1600-1800 or some such...... Let the engine get further into the power band before putting too much demand on it.

I think Hughes just has an oil additive for break-in, but, not 100% sure on that. Best to ask 'em. Seems they DON'T want synthetic oil though.

I think you can go either way with the tune. It would run better with it though, which might make life easier, both getting it TO the shop, and having it idle properly while they are setting it up. You don't have a scanner that can read fuel sync??
No both my MT2500 and DRBlll took a dump and I sent them away to get them fixed. I wish I knew someone who would let me borrow it as all you do it turn the distributor. I do plan on calling them. They did say that it won't run without a tune.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I also have to figure out what their cam key is about. This will be my first Magnum build (haven't started on the 408 yet). My father even said it's junk because of the fuel sync . I do believe with that cam, headers, tunes, converter (can you find one you recommend), and eventually their intake and throttle body should net me some noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: Another Cam question