2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard knock after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 11:09 PM
Zach Carlson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard knock after oil change

Hey, I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24v 5.9L with P-Pump. new to this forum thought I would give it a try. Anyways before the oil change there was no knocking at all but now there is a loud knocking sound coming from the engine area. I put 15w-40 so it’s a heavier oil I’m not sure why it would be doing this? Maybe a noisy lifter and the oil just needs to get worn in? What do you guys think. Also I just bought this truck so I’m not sure if this has happened at any other oil changes.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:30 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach Carlson
Hey, I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24v 5.9L with P-Pump. new to this forum thought I would give it a try. Anyways before the oil change there was no knocking at all but now there is a loud knocking sound coming from the engine area. I put 15w-40 so it’s a heavier oil I’m not sure why it would be doing this? Maybe a noisy lifter and the oil just needs to get worn in? What do you guys think. Also I just bought this truck so I’m not sure if this has happened at any other oil changes.
A knocking usually means a bad connecting rod bearing

Old 06-02-2020, 12:54 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the knock start immediately after the oil change? I changed the oil in an early 2000s Grand Prix one time and used a wix oil filter. Apparently it was defective because the engine started knocking immediately and didn’t smooth out. Unscrewed the filter and put a new one on and it went away instantly. Just a thought and worth a try.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:15 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If the knocking sound started after the oil change. Try removing the filter and inspect for any oil in the filter. If no oil. Fill the filter with oil and install back on. You may have loss the oil pump prime.

Quick Reply: Hard knock after oil change