2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should the ac compressor cycle on and off or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 01:19 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony G
Hi, i took the blend door motor out to look at the plastic piece, it looked good i turned the door by hand and it moved freely so I put everything back together and when I turned the **** from cold to hot to check it it made a popping noise so I stopped moving the dial, what could cause this? When I put the actuator back on i made sure it was where it was when I took it off but it was a little resistance to rotate the actuator housing to get the screws back in.
That pop could be it hitting. It's common and not a problem. You should only hear it when going from max heat to max cold

Old 06-08-2020, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,280 Likes on 3,027 Posts

I do believe there is a specific procedure to 'index' the stepper motor at installation...... Should be in the service manual.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Tony G
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it on max cold and started turning the dial and it started making that sound right away. Before it never did that, is it possible for the door inside to come off in any way? Should I make it do a full rotation and see if it stops making that noise?

Old 06-08-2020, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Read the replacement procedure for the stepper motor in the service manual. (get one here.) There have been cases where the door breaks away from the axle, but, not real common.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:18 AM
Tony G
Amateur

I could turn it by hand to max cold to hot. When I put it make in the shaft of the door went up to is that normal. And should I make it go from max cold to max hot to see if the popping stops?

Old 06-08-2020, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Turn ignition on, turn your temp control **** to the 12 O'clock position. Wait 10 seconds. Turn ignition off. Remove the blend door actuator, (the service manual would have you remove the dash for that....... not really necessary, just fun....) Make sure the blend door can travel its full sweep. (if you can turn it hard enough, you should hear it 'thump' all the way open/closed.) Put it back together... you *might* have to take the actuator apart, and re-index it, so it goes on close to the center position of the blend door, and actually aligns with its mounting holes...... It's also possible the popping noise you hear is the coupler cracked...... making funny noises when the motor is trying to move the door.....

Old 06-08-2020, 10:59 AM
Tony G
Amateur

Ok, when I took it out the first time the coupler wasn't cracked but I already had the system on max cold and took it out i saw that nothing was cracked turned the shaft by hand and everything was fine probably messed up when I put it back together because I had to turn the motor a little bit to get it to align with the mounting holes.

Quick Reply: Should the ac compressor cycle on and off or not