2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Alright! So tapped new hole and swapped sensors and boom! I have my gauge back! Its only been 5 years without! I changed out both rad hoses and thermostat while I was in there. BUT I have a leak in that area now. What do you recommend to seal the thread on sensors ? I Hope's that's where it's coming from
It's most likely from the thermostat housing as it's common to leak there. I used thread sealer on the sensors and rtv plus a CORK gasket (it's thicker) on the thermostat housing

Old 07-14-2020, 12:18 AM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
It's most likely from the thermostat housing as it's common to leak there. I used thread sealer on the sensors and rtv plus a CORK gasket (it's thicker) on the thermostat housing
Rtv on the cork gasket? Is it common to leak where the sensors are?

Old 07-14-2020, 12:19 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'll have to track down a cork one. This one was like a stick on style

Old 07-14-2020, 08:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Verify where the leak is coming from first. You *should* need to use anything on the threads...... Most that I have seen, if they are not dependent on contact with the manifold for their ground, they already have some thread sealer on them, right out of the box. If it IS leaking around the sensor, just tighten it up a bit more.

And yeah, the thermostat housing is notorious for being difficult to seal......

Old 07-14-2020, 08:33 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Verify where the leak is coming from first. You *should* need to use anything on the threads...... Most that I have seen, if they are not dependent on contact with the manifold for their ground, they already have some thread sealer on them, right out of the box. If it IS leaking around the sensor, just tighten it up a bit more.

And yeah, the thermostat housing is notorious for being difficult to seal......

Ok ya after work I'll try to tighten them a bit more. Maybe I should find correct torque specs for thermostat housing
the last gasket that was on here looks like same material as one I have on now and didnt have any leaks beforehand .

Old 07-14-2020, 08:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Ok ya after work I'll try to tighten them a bit more. Maybe I should find correct torque specs for thermostat housing
the last gasket that was on here looks like same material as one I have on now and didnt have any leaks beforehand .
That was supposed to be *shouldn't*....... Darn keyboard.

I usually put a think coat of RTV on both sides of the thermostat gasket......

Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That was supposed to be *shouldn't*....... Darn keyboard.

I usually put a think coat of RTV on both sides of the thermostat gasket......
Ok ya. Looks like I'm tearing it off again. It's hard to tell where its leaking when there all so close together lol

Old 07-14-2020, 08:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull the a/c compressor out of the way, makes seeing in there much easier. Also lets you look at the bypass hose. (notorious for 'mystery' coolant leaks. )

Old 07-14-2020, 09:30 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I forgot about grounding to the case, so thread sealer would be a bad idea! As HeyYou said verify where the leak is first

Old 07-14-2020, 09:50 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Years back, an old dinosaur mechanic told me to stop using "any kind of sealer" on the thermostat gasket. Use the plain paper style gasket with no sealer. The paper gasket swells from the antifrz encroachment and it swells up n, voila! I've been doing it on these stupid mopar thermostat housings for 3 decades now. No leaks. Just don't over torque your bolts and crush the gasket.

Quick Reply: Overheating issue