2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Poor performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:34 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you don't have inspections/emissions testing where you live, hollow out the cat, and put it back on, call it a day. (these engines typically pass emissions even without the cat anyway...) The PCM may or may not whine about it. My 96 never did......

I suspected that was the issue with the throttle cable. Seen that before.... The cables DO stretch over time though..... the zip tie trick works just fine for it. Since yours is frayed like that though, I would be tempted to replace it.
yea I’m definitely going to replace the cable and the only reason I even have the cat is to make the truck quiet. And the increase in low end power. My wife always complains when it’s loud. Will hollowing it out still keep it quiet at all? I suspect not right?

Old 08-18-2020, 08:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
yea I’m definitely going to replace the cable and the only reason I even have the cat is to make the truck quiet. And the increase in low end power. My wife always complains when it’s loud. Will hollowing it out still keep it quiet at all? I suspect not right?
Muffler controls the sound an how loud or quiet it is. Hollowing it the car shouldn't cause it to be more loud. As for that cable they are a son of a gun to pull. I pulled one and never used it lol

Old 08-18-2020, 09:14 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Muffler controls the sound an how loud or quiet it is. Hollowing it the car shouldn't cause it to be more loud. As for that cable they are a son of a gun to pull. I pulled one and never used it lol

weird I always thought the cat still helped make it quiet well in that case what is the most quiet muffler for these trucks? I don’t care about what it sounds like more than hearing my wife complain. I ran straight pipes for years on other cars and she hated it lol kid love it on the truck though

Old 08-18-2020, 09:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Yeah, the cat DOES make a difference. (any large, baffled chamber will.....) Could always just put a bigger muffler on it.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:41 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Yeah, the cat DOES make a difference. (any large, baffled chamber will.....) Could always just put a bigger muffler on it.
Is that a good rule of thumb? The larger the muffler the more quiet? I couldn’t care less what brand or type as long as my wife doesn’t give me “the look” I

Old 08-18-2020, 10:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Is that a good rule of thumb? The larger the muffler the more quiet? I couldn’t care less what brand or type as long as my wife doesn’t give me “the look” I
Usually yep

Old 08-18-2020, 10:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I didn't think it would, but that is good to know!

Old 08-19-2020, 01:44 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

There it is boys and girls!

proof that just because you just replaced something doesn’t mean it’s not the culprit!

she’s loud but she hauls *** now!

now, there’s a chance it’s still my fault... could be anything from injectors sending too much fuel to spark plugs being awry and causing excessive heat to exit the engine and literally just melting my cat to hell...

luckily I got a new pack of plugs gonna swap them later today while I get a new cat and out it on myself this time. Then check the injectors
Ugh brings back memories of July when mine clogged across eastern Montana. Had to hollow it out in a Oreilly's parking lot at closing time in Belle Fourche, SD. But I'm just running straight pipe now with a single glass pack and it is definitely louder but has kind of a raspy clangy old car sound which I don't like. There are aftermarket y-pipes that I briefly considered but eh, why spend the dough. Just be sure to tie up the 2nd sensor on the trans support or somewhere so it reads differently. Off you go!

Quick Reply: Poor performance