2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Poor performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 08:44 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Poor performance

*** This thread originally started because I thought my coil packs were bad, I have since checked that out and the problem has progressed into something very strange... please read down several posts to understand what the current issues are. Below is a brief summary of the current issues and I will continue to update this top post for those new here.***

Current Updates:
when idling my truck runs totally fine. I can rev the engine to 4.5K no problem. And sounds fine, no codes. As soon as I put it in drive and go the gas pedal is VERY hard to push, and a loud hiss becomes apparent. it won’t rev past 1.5K on the dash and it feels like I’m towing a yacht! I can get it up to 50mph but it takes minutes to get there, the transmission shifts through it’s gears but at a low RPM of 1.5K if I play with the pedal. I’ve checked for vacuum leaks using a gauge on multiple points and all is fine there, my cat is brand new but I unplugged it anyway just to check, no dice, I’ve checked my transfer case and it’s fine, my rear differential has a small pinion leak but it still has plenty of fluid in it, yesterday I noticed my front differential has almost no fluid in it and my CAD is leaking... I just filled with with fluid and will try to drive it in a little bit. The pedal is very hard to push even with ignition on and engine off..

FINAL UPDATE!
the new catalytic converter I put on 2 weeks ago fell apart inside and plugged up my exhaust. Ripped it out and voila! Problem fixed! What a relief!!

original thread start:
So the other day my MSD coil pack bracket broke and the cap (power tower it’s called) was loose. I fixed the bracket and tightened the power tower per the manual and now it’s snug.

but ever since I’ve had an uneasy feeling about it. Today on my drive home I started hearing a loud whistle/hiss upon acceleration and a severe power loss. With no codes

i initially thought oh, vacuum leak. But then I remember hearing once that a bad coil pack/coil wire connection can make a hiss and or whistle sound.

the specs for my pack are .7ohms for primary and 4.5k ohms for secondary

when I tested mine I’m getting 1.1ohms at primary and 5.1k ohms are secondary..

obviously I’m going to check for vacuum leaks tomorrow but would my resistance tests be an indicator of a bad coil pack?

97 ram 1500 5.2L

Last edited by Packwood Digital; 08-18-2020 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Edited title to better describe problem
Old 08-15-2020, 09:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

In your other thread, didn't you find the specs for your coil?

Old 08-15-2020, 09:45 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In your other thread, didn't you find the specs for your coil?
yea and I figure out how to tighten it which I did it’s no longer loose. The proper specs are 1.7ohm primary and 4.5ohm secondary according to spec. I’m going to call Holley who makes MSD and ask a tech Monday if all else fails. And in the meantime check for vacuum leaks.

i swear it’s one thing after another with this truck LoL

Old 08-16-2020, 12:53 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Ok so tested for vacuum leaks using my vacuum gauge setup and everything is looks fine. -19hg SUPER steady also checked everything according to the attached guide and nothing seems out of whack.

It sounds like the whine/whistle is coming from underneath the engine or maybe the transmission

it sounds like front underside of the truck basically even in park (im by myself right now and can’t have anyone rev it while I’m under to confirm)

but if under the hood and I pull the throttle still sounds like under the truck

i can hear it slightly when idling but it’s more pronounced when revved between 1-3K when I’m park

This is driving me crazy!

Old 08-16-2020, 02:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Might be normal....... Would have to hear it to be sure though.

If it's a whistle, check and make sure the airbox is tightly clamped to the throttle body.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:30 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Might be normal....... Would have to hear it to be sure though.

If it's a whistle, check and make sure the airbox is tightly clamped to the throttle body.
i guess it’s more of a whine than a whistle when I listen closely. Checked the air box gasket and it’s seated nice and tight. And even so I don’t think airbox issue would cause power loss right? Power as in it feels like I’m towing something not electrical btw

im going to drive it to the party store in a few and see if I can notice any more discernible patterns.

maybe alternator going out? Imma check it with a multimeter but I’ve read if the bearings are going out it could squeal and that could be it.

using the screwdriver to the ear tech I can hear it lightly growling but no squeal but only on idle haven’t tried it while under load.

i would consider it normal on this old of a truck except I had a noticeable power loss as soon as it happened which made my think vacuum leak initially.

Last edited by Packwood Digital; 08-16-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you want to eliminate all the belt driven accessories from your hunt, just take the belt off, and run the engine for a little bit. (preferably when the engine is cold......) Noise gone? It's one of the accessories. Still there? Need to look elsewhere.

Where in Michigan? (I think I asked this before, but, just don't recall..... )

Old 08-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

If you want to eliminate all the belt driven accessories from your hunt, just take the belt off, and run the engine for a little bit. (preferably when the engine is cold......) Noise gone? It's one of the accessories. Still there? Need to look elsewhere.

Where in Michigan? (I think I asked this before, but, just don't recall..... )
ok so driving it from a. Cold start it has no noise and drove fine but after about 3 miles it started again and got worse as the engine got warmer.

it almost felt like it wanted to stumble a couple times when I played with the throttle...

it ONLY does it while driving not in park and not in neutral while sitting still only while rolling in drive... which sucks cause how am I supposed to find it lol drive with my feet and hang upside down out the window? LoL

im in Howell for the most part.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, not too far away. Could come for a visit, and we could go for a ride.

I am thinkin' strappin' yourself to the underside of the truck, and going for a ride is just a REALLY bad idea.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:17 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Ok, not too far away. Could come for a visit, and we could go for a ride.

I am thinkin' strappin' yourself to the underside of the truck, and going for a ride is just a REALLY bad idea.

that would be rad, hey I feel like I owe you a drink anyway since you’ve already helped me out of a couple jams like my transfer case issue (swapped that out and my 4x4 is back to normal again btw

I was reading it could be my plenum so I took a couple quick pics of the inside of my throttle body. but it doesn’t look that bad compared to what I’ve seen.

i did notice I was a little low on oil though which I thought was strange. Only about half a quart but it could mean something maybe not?

Quick Reply: Poor performance