2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal weird behavior - rears only on 97 1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:08 PM
jpilk99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is that just a junction there?
I would say "Yes" but I ain't an expert. But, it has 5 available slots for wire-terminations to come in, though on my truck only 4 terminated wires were in it - and then on the ...top side, where you can open & close it, there was a 5-way insert that effectively connected them all together. And then that 5-way insert has a tab, if you will, with a hole in it and it was bolted to side of inner fender well to ground ALL of the wires. I tested all the wires in this junction block and the last 3 are in fact grounded, or ohm-out when I check continuity back at the black battery connector. It's that first wire - the one on the left (that's actually 2 small ones together) do not ground out....

Also wondering if that buzzer that I pulled out of my fuse block (got tired of listening too it scream at me while I do all this testing) if that is someone involved in any of the circuits I'm testing. What an absolute mess. Turn signal work fine with out headlights on, or brakes. But start turning on lights, hitting brakes, or putting in reverse ---- with turn signals on, and it's like the 4th of July. No idea what to check/test. Can't drive truck!

Old 09-30-2020, 07:10 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Yeah a bunch of things ground there
Would you think this is in the Service Manual so I can figure out which wire(s) is the one that is not grounded?

Old 09-30-2020, 07:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by jpilk99
Would you think this is in the Service Manual so I can figure out which wire(s) is the one that is not grounded?
Absolutely in will be in section 8W. They all get ground. Check the ground also. A common issue is where the towing harness meets the long harness

Old 09-30-2020, 08:02 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Absolutely in will be in section 8W. They all get ground. Check the ground also. A common issue is where the towing harness meets the long harness
Hahhaaaaa. Every time I think I'm getting closer to understanding, the my brain blows up and I'm back at the beginning.

Attached is the page in the service manual that I believe I should find the information on the junction block, ground wires, etc. that involve the rear lights (license lights, turn signals, back up, brake), but, I don't see that junction block noted above, in the engine compartment and I certainly don't have a ...nice graphic that shows an actual picture of the truck, and where things are (sample attached from another website on BMWs).

I hate to appear completely useless, but, could you folks possibly reference the actual page in the service manual that shows me what you're talking about? Thank you SO much for your help.

Jay

Old 09-30-2020, 08:10 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

I saw a video on youtube with this exact situation. So, I checked the trailer connector and it looks clean. Then I checked where it connects to the rest of the harness, and it looks clean. Then I disconnected it at that connection point, to remove it from consideration and still had all the problems. So I don't believe my trailer/towing wiring is part of the problem.

Just so weird - when I turn on the left turn signal - to have a minor blink/glow coming from the back up lights, as well as from the right side turn bulb.... Doesn't that mean - either my wiring harness is an absolute disaster, with wires exposed and touching other exposed wires - to be able to send current to bulbs that are ABSOLUTELY not supposed to be getting current? Or, is it the turn signal/multi-function switch that is the culprit and sending current/power to all these other bulbs inappropriately?

And that my turn signals work fine, without headlights or running lights. But if I hit the brakes while having turn signal all, then problems occur....

Old 09-30-2020, 08:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

The ground is G100. It's at the bottom of the page. Look in the ground location section, it'll show ya where it's at.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:28 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The ground is G100. It's at the bottom of the page. Look in the ground location section, it'll show ya where it's at.
Goodness, I must be dumb as a stump. I went to the Ground Location section, found G100, and it just says "Left Fender Side Shield" and "Figure 16". I can't find any drawings of a "left fender side shield" or "Figure 16" to show the ground location. I'm guess it's that picture I inserted above of the black plastic junction block that is bolted to the ...(wait for it) inner fender of the left (drivers' side) fender?

Here's the info in the manual. (I'm sorry I'm just not understanding the Dodge vernacular... I really want to, and I'm 55 years old and have worked on 100s of cars. Done full body off restos ...yet I am just not understanding how to speak Dodge :-).

Old 09-30-2020, 08:29 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Is there any website or source that actually shows a drawing of a Gen 2 Dodge RAM with wiring harnesses, components, etc.? That would race me right to the front of the line, in my humble opinion :-)

Old 09-30-2020, 08:46 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

You should have 4 wires running to the back of the truck. A ground, black/yellow is the park lights. Find out what color each side turn signal is. Pull the cover and use a test light to check one side at a time. Then if it is indeed sending power to the rear text at the tail light plug.
Hi MoparFanatic21. I assume you mean, within that big ol' wiring harness that runs along the drivers' side frame rail, from the front, passes the gas tank, and then gets to about where the spare tire hangs ...and it splits off to the passenger side brake/back up/turn signal, but, as it keeps coming toward the drivers' side rear, it splits out the drivers's side brake/back up/turn signal and then continues on to the license plate lights and the towing/trailer connector. The 4 wires you're referring to are the ones going to the brake/backup/turn, right? Well, I just went back under the truck and found em :-). What do you mean by "pull the cover"? Remove some of the insulation covering the wire?

And the other confusing part is: I'm definitely getting power to these wires, but, honestly ....TOO MUCH. The driver's will flash when the passenger signal is turned on and vise verse. I get power when the headlights & running lights are on, but, the blinking slows waaaay down, but, both sides still flash intermittently --- and I'm getting a tiny tiny flash on one of the filaments in the back up bulb. (Why are there 2 filaments in the back up bulb???).

I think a monkey owned my truck before me. Actually, I'm kinda feeling chimpish at this point.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

The 'figure' should be listed further down in the section. They are basically just drawings, but, they give you a pretty good idea of where to find them.

Quick Reply: Turn signal weird behavior - rears only on 97 1500