2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal weird behavior - rears only on 97 1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 10:11 PM
jpilk99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal weird behavior - rears only on 97 1500

Sorry if this has been covered in here, but, I can't find anything that answers my situation. For what it's worth, this truck is 'new' to me after having sat for 6 years. She's on the road now, running great, but, there is odd behavior going on with turn signal lights and it varies when the brakes or headlights/running lights are on.

At first, I just had basic issues getting ANY turn signal bulbs to light up. So, I went to the junk yard and got the 'Turn Signal/Multi-function control' switch, which I think came out of an '01. Turn signals then worked perfectly ...or seemed to. I hadn't driven at night, so didn't test what things were like with the running/head-lights - and after doing do, I have a mixture of:
  • Very slow turn signals with lights on
  • With lights AND brakes, no turn signals
  • Sometimes, when I turn Right turn signal either Both or left blinker blink....
I bought 2 new signal Flashers, with a tiiiiiiiiiiiny difference - blinkers blink a little quicker, but, still all the odd lighting/non-lighting of the tail light bulbs. I also checked all relevant fuses - all good.

With lights (running or headlights) - the passenger side rear license plate light is out. It's not the bulb, it's the harness. Working back up through the harness to where the license plate wires meet the larger harness that has the brake & back up lights, and trailer connector...

Assuming that wherever the license plate wire is compromised, I'll likely find one of the other wires similarly compromised.

Thoughts?

Thinking the 'turn signal/multifunction control' switch may either have issues or just not compatible with my year?? But, after reading that this is a relatively common issue, I didn't want to start buying parts left 'n right without some of you all weighing in.

Thank you,

Jay

Last edited by jpilk99; 09-30-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:20 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Well you already started throwing parts at it... Symptoms like these are almost always some sort of wiring issue, first guess would be ground connection. While it's hard to believe according to the FSM the ground for all the lights in the rear is near the horns in the front (G106). The grounds from the individual lights come together in splice S312 which is where the wiring harness splits up between the left and right side in the rear and then run all the way back to the front.

For troubleshooting purposes connect one of the solid black wires in the rear harness to a good ground (careful there are also black/yellow wires which carry power to the lights).

The following users liked this post:
jpilk99 (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 03:34 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Well you already started throwing parts at it... Symptoms like these are almost always some sort of wiring issue, first guess would be ground connection. While it's hard to believe according to the FSM the ground for all the lights in the rear is near the horns in the front (G106). The grounds from the individual lights come together in splice S312 which is where the wiring harness splits up between the left and right side in the rear and then run all the way back to the front.

For troubleshooting purposes connect one of the solid black wires in the rear harness to a good ground (careful there are also black/yellow wires which carry power to the lights).
So, I found the ground up by the horns. Took it off, didn't look too bad, but, cleaned both the round connector at end of wire and frame where it was bolted in. Also cleaned the heck out of the ground connector on the battery and the ground terminal itself. Checked for continuity = perfect. Went back and no change to license plate light on passenger side. Wired in a new ground wire and now license plate light works.

Blinkers still have same problem.

Thinking I should buy a brand new "multi function/turn signal switch" and remove that from equation, and/or possibly fix problem.?

Old 09-30-2020, 04:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by jpilk99
So, I found the ground up by the horns. Took it off, didn't look too bad, but, cleaned both the round connector at end of wire and frame where it was bolted in. Also cleaned the heck out of the ground connector on the battery and the ground terminal itself. Checked for continuity = perfect. Went back and no change to license plate light on passenger side. Wired in a new ground wire and now license plate light works.

Blinkers still have same problem.

Thinking I should buy a brand new "multi function/turn signal switch" and remove that from equation, and/or possibly fix problem.?
Check to see if you are getting power out of the switch and back to the tail lights. If you are getting it out of the switch but not too the tail lights then you have a wire broken somewhere

Old 09-30-2020, 04:44 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Check to see if you are getting power out of the switch and back to the tail lights. If you are getting it out of the switch but not too the tail lights then you have a wire broken somewhere
forgive my ignorance but ...how do I test that? Take steering wheel black cover off and find black/yellow coming out of multi-function switch?

Thank you.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by jpilk99
forgive my ignorance but ...how do I test that? Take steering wheel black cover off and find black/yellow coming out of multi-function switch?

Thank you.
You should have 4 wires running to the back of the truck. A ground, black/yellow is the park lights. Find out what color each side turn signal is. Pull the cover and use a test light to check one side at a time. Then if it is indeed sending power to the rear text at the tail light plug.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:02 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Originally Posted by DerTruck

Hi DerTruck. I am not finding an G106 or S312 in my 1997 manual. Is it possible that is from another year? I do have S311, 313, 314 etc. all related to the rear tails.

Last edited by jpilk99; 09-30-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:38 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Does anyone know what each ground wire in this "block", bolted to inner driver's fender rail next to Power Distribution Center & Battery, goes to? Especially the first one on the left? All the others are indeed grounded - that first one is not and assuming that is my problem, or part of it.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Is that just a junction there?

Old 09-30-2020, 06:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is that just a junction there?