2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal weird behavior - rears only on 97 1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 09:57 PM
jpilk99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What is actually happening??
I can fully document the exact happenings, but, basically - and only with the REARS:
  1. With no headlights or brakes on, and not in reverse - turn signals work fine. Not the brightest in the world, but, blink properly. (I think if I look closely, I can see the opposite side blinking ever so slightly - will confirm tomorrow).
  2. With headlights or running lights on, blinking slows down considerably, and if turning right (passenger), I can clearly see the drivers' side blinker ...blinking. Same for when turning left (drivers) I can see right/passenger side blinking. I also believe I can faintly see - on the smaller filament - the reverse lights blinking. (I'll confirm).
  3. With lights on and then step on brake, with turn signals on, I get NO tail lights, however the brake light at top of cab goes on.
  4. If I'm in reverse with turn signals on, none of them work (again, I will confirm 100% what happens tomorrow - but essentially this is what's going on).

Old 09-30-2020, 09:58 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Also, it seems that switch changed for 98.........
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHH. I would have to believe this is the reason for my #$%&(! crazy situation. I am 99% sure I pulled the part off a 2001. What a DONKEY!!!!

Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

O'Rielly has 'em for like 70 bucks. Might solve all your problems.....

Old 09-30-2020, 10:36 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jpilk99
I can fully document the exact happenings, but, basically - and only with the REARS:
  1. With no headlights or brakes on, and not in reverse - turn signals work fine. Not the brightest in the world, but, blink properly. (I think if I look closely, I can see the opposite side blinking ever so slightly - will confirm tomorrow).
  2. With headlights or running lights on, blinking slows down considerably, and if turning right (passenger), I can clearly see the drivers' side blinker ...blinking. Same for when turning left (drivers) I can see right/passenger side blinking. I also believe I can faintly see - on the smaller filament - the reverse lights blinking. (I'll confirm).
  3. With lights on and then step on brake, with turn signals on, I get NO tail lights, however the brake light at top of cab goes on.
  4. If I'm in reverse with turn signals on, none of them work (again, I will confirm 100% what happens tomorrow - but essentially this is what's going on).
Again, this smells suspiciously like a ground issue. You could put the old multifunction switch back in just to eliminate the possibility that it causes some of the issues.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by jpilk99
Sorry I got busy with my truck so couldn't reply. It seems like you either have the wrong multi functional switch (I believe they are all the same but don't quote me on that) or bad wiring. You need to try to connect the dots here. And you may need two people. The brake switch I believe just connects it to ground. I can look through the manual and try to help you more specifically tomorrow. Check everything park lights, turns, reverse, and brake lights. And I will try and help

The following users liked this post:
jpilk99 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 02:11 AM
jpilk99
Rookie

Does anyone have the pin outs to the multi function switch? If I take the switch off the steering column, I could easily check continuity back to each bulb etc.

thank you folks!!!

Old 10-01-2020, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, the wiring diagram will tell you what the connector number is, then look in the connector pinout section of the service manual for that particular connector.

The following users liked this post:
jpilk99 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 12:21 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Got the new multifunction/turn signal switch and (you guessed it) it didn't fix the problem. I feel like I'm back to square one, but, worse in that I've checked the wiring harness at the rear of the truck and am not finding any problems with the wires. I have a gut feeling (as many others here have suggested) that the issue is grounding. That black plastic connector next to the Power Distribution Center and Battery has one wire (two together into one connector actually) that I could not get continuity to the ground attachment at the battery. The other 3 were fine.

BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS ONE (combo) GROUND IS FOR? I can't decipher the FSM as I am not seeing that level of "layman"s detail - a drawing of the engine compartment with that ground connector and then a direct picture or detail of where each ground wire goes. And especially since it would not ohm-out (no continuity) I'm assuming the wire is broken somewhere in the harness so how I can test for continuity at the end points (if that makes sense).

Can someone get me off the cliff here? I am so frustrated that I can't drive this awesome truck, (that I just spent 2 months bringing back to life - and it's running great), because without reliable blinkers/brakes/running lights etc. ...I'm a danger to other drivers. Sorry if I'm missing something basic here, but, I just don't know what to do, short of ripping out the entire wiring harness, unwrapping all the tape etc. and visually inspecting every inch of every wire...

Thank you for all the help folks!!!!

Jay

Old 10-02-2020, 01:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Which wire in the connector is it? There is a jumper wire from one connector, to that one, and I suspect that may be where the problem lies.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:28 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

I have it earlier in this thread/post with a picture. As it was bolted to fender, it was the left-most “slot” with 2 wires together in one slot. I can get another picture if helps.

Quick Reply: Turn signal weird behavior - rears only on 97 1500