2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal weird behavior - rears only on 97 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 06:53 PM
jpilk99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The various switches operate by supplying power to the correct bulb/filament. So, I think the hot ticket here is to pull all your bulbs, and test one system at a time. Do you get power to the socket on one of the terminals in there, when you apply the brake? Do you get power to that same terminal (switch on/off) with the turn signal for that side activated? Do you get power at the correct spot with the parking lights on?
So, on my first test, (I have all 4 bulbs out in both rear tail lights - license plate lights still in ...), I turned left signal on:

Got a flashing pulse of 12V on the lower right terminal as you look into the socket with the 3 wires sticking out the top. No other power on the other 3 terminals.
Turned off turn signal and engaged brake. Got constant 12V ON THE SAME TERMINAL, and nothing on the other 3.

Stopped testing and came in to report :-)

Old 10-02-2020, 08:43 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jpilk99
Okay. Very interesting. Ran a long wire from the negative terminal/cable at battery back to rear of truck and connected to one of my ohm meter wires. Then:

Disconnected the rear tail light connectors for both Driver & Passenger and ...it's a mess: Testing for continuity on the 4 wires - there was no continuity for the Black Ground wire, however, there was for both the Black & Yellow (Power?) striped wire as well as the Brown & Violet(Pink) on the Drivers side and same on Passenger where the Black Ground had no continuity, but, the Black & Yellow did as did the Green & Red. The other wire in both connector had no continuity.
The license plate lite(s), both black wires had continuity.

Didn't bother putting bulbs in one at a time as I know my wiring is screwed up. Just not sure what to do next.
Please don't confuse yourself. The black not having a ground connection *IS* a problem. The black/yellow connect all the tail/marker lights and will find ground via the front light bulbs or license plate bulbs so that's no cause for concern. The green/red and brown/pink should be connected to each other with the turn signals off, but shouldn't see ground. By any chance do you have a trailer hitch with the 4 and/or 7 pin connection ?

Last edited by DerTruck; 10-02-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:13 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Please don't confuse yourself. The black not having a ground connection *IS* a problem. The black/yellow connect all the tail/marker lights and will find ground via the front light bulbs or license plate bulbs so that's no cause for concern. The green/red and brown/pink should be connected to each other with the turn signals off, but shouldn't see ground. By any chance do you have a trailer hitch with the 4 and/or 7 pin connection ?
The truck does have a trailer hitch, not the "traditional" 4 pin, but, a round config. Not sure how many pins but 7 sounds right. Should I go confirm? For what it's worth, I disconnect the trailer hitch connector(s) prior to my tests...

Old 10-02-2020, 09:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

Ok, so you are getting power in the correct spots on that one at least. Do you have continuity to ground on the rear light sockets?? (my guess would be 'no'...... )

Old 10-02-2020, 09:49 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

Ok, so you are getting power in the correct spots on that one at least. Do you have continuity to ground on the rear light sockets?? (my guess would be 'no'...... )
I don't understand. I already said I was getting continuity to ground on the black & yellow as well as the green & red or brown & violet... Do you mean for the back up light sockets?

Old 10-02-2020, 09:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't understand. I already said I was getting continuity to ground on the black & yellow as well as the green & red or brown & violet... Do you mean for the back up light sockets?
With all the bulb out??

Old 10-02-2020, 09:56 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

I did go and check a back up light socket and neither post/terminal has continuity to ground :-)

Old 10-02-2020, 09:59 PM
jpilk99
Rookie

With all the bulb out??
yes. In both sockets, the bulbs were out

Old 10-02-2020, 10:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Front ones need to be out as well.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:06 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

The truck does have a trailer hitch, not the "traditional" 4 pin, but, a round config. Not sure how many pins but 7 sounds right. Should I go confirm? For what it's worth, I disconnect the trailer hitch connector(s) prior to my tests...
Ok sounds like you have the factory setup if you can disconnect it. That eliminates the possibility there's something wrong in there (which isn't uncommon).

There are two things off: All black wires should have ground connection, and you state only the license plate ones do. The brake/turn signal wires should be "floating open" unless the brakes are applied or one of the turn signals is on. Just to make sure, you are looking towards the truck, not the lights ?

I'd say it's time to bite the bullet and drop the spare tire. The wiring harness splits somewhere on the driver side above the spare. The splice for all the ground connections is hiding somewhere near the junction according to the FSM. Open up the loom a bit and look for corrosion or rubbed through wiring.

Quick Reply: Turn signal weird behavior - rears only on 97 1500