2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please school me on camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 09:32 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please school me on camshafts

I've got a 96 Ram 1500 4x4 Reg Cab SWB 5.2/auto. I bought it new, and now it has 230,000 miles and the engine runs good but is tired. Otherwise it almost looks new. In case you're wondering... 2" lift front/rear, 4.10 gears, 285/75/16" tires, True-tracks front/rear, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, ARE top. Repainted in 2015 Corvette Shark Gray.

Anyways, I'll be looking to get a rebuilt engine in the future probably from Jasper (that's what my shop uses). 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. I'm curious as to what camshafts are/were available from the factory for this 5.2 engine. I'm not looking for it to be a hotrod, but it does get used for towing and overlanding - think low end power. I've heard the term "R/T" camshaft, "Purple" (?) camshaft... somebody help me out here.

Thanks.

Last edited by armynurse; 10-02-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

So far as I know, there was only one cam offered in the 5.2/5.9..... There was an HD 5.9, but, don't know if it used a different cam or not. HP/TQ numbers were the same.....

Don't know if Jasper offers options for the cam either... trouble is, the PCM can only tolerate so much, and spending the coin on a 'computer friendly' cam simply isn't worth the expense, for the minor gains you get. If you go beyond that though, then a custom tune becomes necessary. Flyin' Ryan, and Hemifever both offer that particular service, but, it isn't exactly cheap..... (600 or so?)

Another problem is, the heads are your biggest limiting factor..... they just don't flow that well.

That said, going with the Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio (stock is 1.6) roller rockers, that's good for 10hp/tq pretty much across the board. They run around 400 or so, and don't require a tune.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:23 AM
armynurse
Veteran

Yeah... I didn't think Jasper would go for the Harlan Sharp 1.7's, but I thought they might go for some sort of R/T cam if it was a Dodge factory item. Seems like I heard about some sort of R/T cam years ago for these engines. I haven't contacted Jasper about it; I'm just looking into the future so when the engine does breath its last breath, I'll be ready.

And I have no idea even if there is such a cam, if it would make that much difference.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2020, 06:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

You can get a close replacement from Comp cams, I believe Engintech makes a exact replacement but I don't think i would trust them and they haven't been around long enough to have track record.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:20 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You ask to be schooled... So here is my limited knowledge in a 2 min. class!!
1. Cams are probably the most over hyped part on a car.... With names like thumper, 3/4 race cams, voodoo cams, fireball cams, Hotcams, etc. Makes one think there is a lot of magic..... But its not. Its design to fit the app.
2. The 2 main measurements are duration. and lift. duration is the time the valve is open. and lift is the distance off the seat the valve travels.
3. Generally, the more lift, and especially more duration, will make more power, but it also moves the operating design of the engine up the rpm range.
For example, your stock 5.2 cam , according to rockauto has a lift of .403 ex. &.387 intake. with duration of 193deg. ex. and 184 deg. intake.
The design is probably idle 700 rpm to 4000 or so.
If you used a cam with 550 lift and 230 degrees duration, you would make more hp, but your operating range is probably 2000-2500 rpm to 6500-7000 or so.
Not good on a daily street car, much less a truck.....
And all of this is assuming the rest of the motor matches the cam, ie. compression, fuel system, exhaust, etc.

Here is a suggestion to consider. If you are staying with a jasper engine, maybe go with a 5.9 rather then the 5.2. It would require a different flexplate or flywheel, and a different harmonic balancer. But it would make more torque and hp in the range you probably will be using the truck.
Someone such as Heyyou could probably advise you on tuning if needed etc.
But Ill bet, if you are going to try for more power, that is going to be your best bet.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:33 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Thank-you 93 ragtop! Yes I did ask to be schooled. What you say makes sense.

Quick Reply: Please school me on camshafts