2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TCC lock up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 08:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Wonder if someone pulled the sensor, because it was constantly telling them the trans was too hot.....

Just out of idle curiosity, is the check valve still in the cooler line up by the radiator? If it is, I bet is plugged up. That'll smoke transmissions right quick.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Matthew Reeves
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wonder if someone pulled the sensor, because it was constantly telling them the trans was too hot.....

Just out of idle curiosity, is the check valve still in the cooler line up by the radiator? If it is, I bet is plugged up. That'll smoke transmissions right quick.
Nope, when I had this trans rebuilt the first time the guy told me to drill out that check valve and I did. But I still burnt up transmissions 3 times after that.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthew Reeves
Nope, when I had this trans rebuilt the first time the guy told me to drill out that check valve and I did. But I still burnt up transmissions 3 times after that.
Still the original radiator? Ever install an additional cooler? Unless you are REALLY abusing the trans, it shouldn't burn up that quick.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Matthew Reeves
Amateur

Still the original radiator? Ever install an additional cooler? Unless you are REALLY abusing the trans, it shouldn't burn up that quick.
no I replaced the radiator, cant exactly tell you when, but it was replaced. No doesnt have an external cooler although it's been on the list of things to add. And that's why I'm was curious about the sensor, from what I've read the tcc helps keep the trans cooler and if the temp sensor is telling the pcm not to engage the lock up then over a years time of daily driving over 70 miles a day the trans burns up and starts slipping...

Old 11-01-2020, 08:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it worked at one point, even with the sensor gone, but, doesn't work now..... I would guess it likely isn't a programming issue.

I am actually surprised that your truck had the sensor, but, didn't have the aux cooler......

Old 11-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Matthew Reeves
Amateur

If it worked at one point, even with the sensor gone, but, doesn't work now..... I would guess it likely isn't a programming issue.

I am actually surprised that your truck had the sensor, but, didn't have the aux cooler......
I'm not 100% sure it ever worked, I cant remember that far back. I havent driven this truck in over 3 years, so I cant really be 100% positive that it worked before. It half *** worked last weekend for a few miles when I drove it to the shop but I'm just wondering if that's not bc it sat for so long without a battery and lost the stored data saying it didnt need it. Bc I had a similar issue with this new engine, it ran like crap and I couldnt figure out why, took it to the shop and it turned out to be the o2 sensor that I had unplugged years before with the old engine that had gone bad and never had a problem, I knew the sensor needed to be changed, but didnt believe that was the issue bc I ran it for years like that with the old engine, but sitting so long without a battery cleared the pcm from stored parameters and then with the new engine it was "learning" all over again.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I wonder if the PCM is thinking the trans is TOO COLD, (since the sensor isn't there) and thus, not engaging TCC...... Would explain a lot..... and yeah, O/D and no TCC would get the fluid nice and toasty right quick. Maybe the programming on yours, actually worked the way it was intended......

I don't know what the resistance values of the temp sensor are though... so, may need to plumb it back in, to verify that is the fix. (and having it really isn't a bad idea anyway.....)

Old 11-01-2020, 09:19 PM
Matthew Reeves
Amateur

I wonder if the PCM is thinking the trans is TOO COLD, (since the sensor isn't there) and thus, not engaging TCC...... Would explain a lot..... and yeah, O/D and no TCC would get the fluid nice and toasty right quick. Maybe the programming on yours, actually worked the way it was intended......

I don't know what the resistance values of the temp sensor are though... so, may need to plumb it back in, to verify that is the fix. (and having it really isn't a bad idea anyway.....)
Yeah the plan is to change the line and reinstall the sensor, since its cheap enough anyway and apparently my truck was supposed to have it. Lol

Quick Reply: TCC lock up?