2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alarm going off all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

You just need to convince the PCM that you aren't stealing the truck. So, need to disarm the security system. Usually, unlocking one of the doors with the key (twice??) will do it.

Run your VIN thru the equipment listing on Dodges website. See if your truck originally came with the secure key. (grey key. normal keys are black.)

The following users liked this post:
Lynn Wells (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alarms disabled. The headlights are no longer flashing and the horn isn’t honking anymore

Old 11-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

It says no records found

Old 11-20-2020, 01:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lynn Wells
It says no records found
For a 99??? That's odd..... It even pulls up my 96.....

Old 11-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

This is the tag on the drivers side with the vin. I have a friend who has a friend that is supposedly able to flash the PCM. We will see. Before I let him go messing with the electrical on my truck what should I check first before he gets here?i don’t have a clue what my next step is. Thanks

Old 11-20-2020, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, according to the build sheet, (it seems it is case sensitive....) you have remote keyless entry, but, I am not seeing anything about a security system.... Of course, I don't know if it is specifically mentioned or not.....

8 Liter? D70 rear? OOooooo. Nice.

Dealer should be able to program a fob for it, but, not inexpensive..... Don't know if the locksmith could do it as well.

The following users liked this post:
Lynn Wells (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 09:25 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

The locksmith that came out the other day said there is no radio signal coming from the skim halo thingy. He then deduced that my vehicle didn’t have a transponder at all despite what I told him. I think it was disabled or became irrelevant when the ctm was replaced by the previous owner. That ctm did not have the vtss enabled, so there fore there was no factory alarm going off. Sometime later, I replaced the ctm with a used one when my gauges quit working. 2 months later we accidentally manually armed the alarm then triggered it by opening the doors from the inside the next time we opened the truck. The ignition has been able to turn with almost any key that was thin enough to fit the slot as long as I’ve had it. I reinstalled the ctm that was in the truck when I bought it. That immediately stopped the alarm condition (horn, lights flashing), but it still won’t start. It doesn’t sound like it’s getting gas but we have pressure and can hear the pump initialize when turning the key. I’ve never had problems starting this truck. Earlier I posted part of the vtss section of the service manual where it mentions that a no start condition will cause the pcm to have to be replaced. Is that what’s happening here? Thanx

Old 11-20-2020, 11:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, according to the build sheet, (it seems it is case sensitive....) you have remote keyless entry, but, I am not seeing anything about a security system.... Of course, I don't know if it is specifically mentioned or not.....

8 Liter? D70 rear? OOooooo. Nice.

Dealer should be able to program a fob for it, but, not inexpensive..... Don't know if the locksmith could do it as well.
Keyless Entry is the alarm
Originally Posted by Lynn Wells
The locksmith that came out the other day said there is no radio signal coming from the skim halo thingy. He then deduced that my vehicle didn’t have a transponder at all despite what I told him. I think it was disabled or became irrelevant when the ctm was replaced by the previous owner. That ctm did not have the vtss enabled, so there fore there was no factory alarm going off. Sometime later, I replaced the ctm with a used one when my gauges quit working. 2 months later we accidentally manually armed the alarm then triggered it by opening the doors from the inside the next time we opened the truck. The ignition has been able to turn with almost any key that was thin enough to fit the slot as long as I’ve had it. I reinstalled the ctm that was in the truck when I bought it. That immediately stopped the alarm condition (horn, lights flashing), but it still won’t start. It doesn’t sound like it’s getting gas but we have pressure and can hear the pump initialize when turning the key. I’ve never had problems starting this truck. Earlier I posted part of the vtss section of the service manual where it mentions that a no start condition will cause the pcm to have to be replaced. Is that what’s happening here? Thanx
I can't remember what vehicle it was, but one you had to get the fob and do something in both the truck and fob for them to "shake hands" and there was another procedure where you programmed a code (you got from the CTM) into the fob and then they worked. The locksmith was using a Skim key scanner, which won't work on your truck. As most 2nd gens don't have a Skim key. Call an older locksmith if you can one they was around when these trucks where.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Procedure for 'mating' fob to truck should be in the service manual, but, I think you need the DRBIII to do the first one, if you don't already have one that works.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:37 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

I reinstalled the previous ctm and that turned the alarm off. Still won’t start.

Quick Reply: Alarm going off all of a sudden