2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear brakes shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 05:44 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear brakes shudder

Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I've been on here, not that anyone probably noticed lol. Anyways, I've got an issue I think with my rear drum brakes. Whenever i slow down from highway speeds applying my brakes, it feels like my rear end starts to shudder. Like the pads are grabbing, then not grabbing really quick. It also feels like maybe the drum is out of round, but I got new drums, had them turned, new shoe hardware, cylinders, the whole nine yards. I can't for the life of me figure out why it does this. When I get below 35ish mph it goes away, it's just braking from faster speeds really. It's even had a suspension check and everything is tight. Can there be something I'm missing?

Old 11-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Any issue with the anti lock brakes?

Old 11-19-2020, 05:55 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by Moparite
Any issue with the anti lock brakes?
No issue I'm aware of. No ABS light on in the cab. I think it's only 2 wheel abs. Don't know if the two wheels that do it are in the front or rear. Either way, the ABS on these old trucks have a lot to be desired.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:35 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by chromed95
No issue I'm aware of. No ABS light on in the cab. I think it's only 2 wheel abs. Don't know if the two wheels that do it are in the front or rear. Either way, the ABS on these old trucks have a lot to be desired.

If you have 2 wheel ABS it works off a sensor on your rear differential. Have someone follow you and watch the rear wheels. I spent a week working on a customers car once and couldn't find the problem. I had one of the guys drive it while I followed. Then I noticed one wheel wobbling. It had a bent axle but you didn't notice it unless you were watching it.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 11-20-2020 at 06:05 AM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 11-19-2020, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Have you check the rear brakes, to see what kind of condition they are in? When mine was doing that, it's because the shoes were worn down to the rivets......

Old 11-19-2020, 11:30 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Is that regardless how hard you brake ? Or how much weight is in the bed ? Does it feel the same when you slightly apply the parking brake ?

Old 11-20-2020, 12:53 PM
Jimmy Peabody

Mine did that too. It was a warped brake drum. I am an experienced mechanic. I took the drums off , and went through it with a fine tooth micrometers. They looked fine. I bought one drum, and it got a little better ... I bought 2 , and it disappeared. The problems seemed to have started when I let someone else drive it . They said it was a really sluggish truck. Then it dawned on me !!?? The idiot somehow left the E- brake on !!! Might as well change the axle seals while you're down there if its old

Old 11-23-2020, 04:19 PM
chromed95
Captain

Sorry guys, been without a computer for a couple days.

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you have 2 wheel ABS it works off a sensor on your rear differential. Have someone follow you and watch the rear wheels. I spent a week working on a customers car once and couldn't find the problem. I had one of the guys drive it while I followed. Then I noticed one wheel wobbling. It had a bent axle but you didn't notice it unless you were watching it.
I had my wife drive it while I followed and to my naked eye it looked just fine. I even put all 4 wheels in the air on jack stands and inspected them while it was set on cruise at 45. That's pretty nerve racking I'll tell you what. Note, the brakes work real well and quick when there's no weight on them....

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have you check the rear brakes, to see what kind of condition they are in? When mine was doing that, it's because the shoes were worn down to the rivets......
Yeah, like I said, everything was new and everything looks new still.

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Is that regardless how hard you brake ? Or how much weight is in the bed ? Does it feel the same when you slightly apply the parking brake ?
When I brake hard, like from 60 I'll hit the brakes hard to stop vs progressively harder it actually seems to be better, but still slightly feels like it's shuddering.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Peabody
Mine did that too. It was a warped brake drum. I am an experienced mechanic. I took the drums off , and went through it with a fine tooth micrometers. They looked fine. I bought one drum, and it got a little better ... I bought 2 , and it disappeared. The problems seemed to have started when I let someone else drive it . They said it was a really sluggish truck. Then it dawned on me !!?? The idiot somehow left the E- brake on !!! Might as well change the axle seals while you're down there if its old
Oh boy I'd hate to open up a can of worms if it's not broken with the axles seals.

Could there be air in the wheel cylinders causing this? They were bled, but maybe some air got in there?

Last edited by chromed95; 11-23-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Air in the lines would give you a spongy pedal. If the pedal feels good, I wouldn't worry about that. They *may* just be breaking in. Might try a couple hard stops from 45 mph, and see if they don't improve. (after letting them cool)

Old 11-23-2020, 07:30 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I wonder if we're over thinking this. If you have, or can get, a dial indicator gauge, put the truck on stands and remove the rear wheels and drums. Clean the drums really well with brake cleaner. You could have a spot of gooky stuff (<---fancy technical term) like a small spot of brake fluid. Bolt the drum on inside out so the brake surface is out. Set a dial indicator up and rotate the drum by hand. Look to see how much run out shows. Something simple like cleaning or a VERY light dressing will stop the shudder.

You aren't letting the truck watch horror movies in the garage are you? It might be shuddering from fear.

Quick Reply: rear brakes shudder