2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 24v rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 05:48 PM
Ceejaydee88
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably looked crazy. Was 23 out when I got to power wash it but got a lot of the dirt and grime off it.

Few spots of concern. Machine shops will get some calls from me tomorrow. Price out a good check on the block and cylinder walls, cleaning of the block, balance and polish of the crank, freeze plugs and get that top flattened.

Look concerning to anyone?

Cylinder 6 and 1 have these light marks on the bottom of them.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Mic 'em out, see how they spec. That probably isn't too bad.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:54 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That heater thingy is an heat exchanger for the automatic transmission, cummins don't use the rad for cooling/warming up the transmission oil. You transmission will run hot and/or take forever to warm-up. It makes quite a difference in regulating the transmission temperature. You could install a third gen heat exchanger (its on the opposite side) of the engine. I just relocated mine to just behind the front bumper, because I had twin turbos on my truck.

Check the head for cracks, 24v VP engine that been modified (big injectors, sluggish turbos) make for lots of egt's. Its common that there will be crackes between the intake and exhaust seats. I would also get the head decked, I typically found the head to be warped 3-4 thou, same goes for the block deck. Having a straight deck/block will prevent head gasket failure.

The newer gearbox housing are modified to prevent KDP issues. That mostly for older 12v's.

The piston skirts look ok, so the engine has never really been hot.

Replace the cam bearing, its looks worn. The cylinder look good, just ball hone them. I ran more piston clearance on #6 cylinder, as that cylinder runs hotter than the rest.

Find a 12v camshaft, as it will have a lift pump lobe and you can then dump the crappy electric pump and run a 12v VE lift pump.

I've rebuilt a ton of 5.9/6.7's engines over the years.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
That heater thingy is an heat exchanger for the automatic transmission, cummins don't use the rad for cooling/warming up the transmission oil. You transmission will run hot and/or take forever to warm-up. It makes quite a difference in regulating the transmission temperature. You could install a third gen heat exchanger (its on the opposite side) of the engine. I just relocated mine to just behind the front bumper, because I had twin turbos on my truck.

Check the head for cracks, 24v VP engine that been modified (big injectors, sluggish turbos) make for lots of egt's. Its common that there will be crackes between the intake and exhaust seats. I would also get the head decked, I typically found the head to be warped 3-4 thou, same goes for the block deck. Having a straight deck/block will prevent head gasket failure.

The newer gearbox housing are modified to prevent KDP issues. That mostly for older 12v's.

The piston skirts look ok, so the engine has never really been hot.

Replace the cam bearing, its looks worn. The cylinder look good, just ball hone them. I ran more piston clearance on #6 cylinder, as that cylinder runs hotter than the rest.

Find a 12v camshaft, as it will have a lift pump lobe and you can then dump the crappy electric pump and run a 12v VE lift pump.

I've rebuilt a ton of 5.9/6.7's engines over the years.
I'm not a diesel guy and I'm curious how would twin turbos work on @ inline diesel?

Old 01-30-2021, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Compound turbos, the first feeds the second, and then the motor. (at least, that's one method.)

Old 01-30-2021, 12:19 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Compound turbos, the first feeds the second, and then the motor. (at least, that's one method.)
Compound turbos main purpose though is to eliminate turbo lag with a small and large turbo. I thought they might have did a 2 piece exhaust manifold to mount the 2 turbos to

Old 01-30-2021, 04:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Compound turbos main purpose though is to eliminate turbo lag with a small and large turbo. I thought they might have did a 2 piece exhaust manifold to mount the 2 turbos to
That would be another way of doing it. Two smaller turbos spin up faster than one big one.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That would be another way of doing it. Two smaller turbos spin up faster than one big one.
Absolutely but run out of boost quickly

Old 02-01-2021, 09:49 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional

Here are a few pictures of few builds that I've done. Twin Garrett GT3782R/T3 over Borg S475/T6. Uses internal waste gate with in boost cab controller.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:57 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional

Here is a set-up for 5.9L CR truck, just mocked up. These twins actually work pretty good (spooled faster than stock). Garrett GTX3582R over Garrett GT4505R, 50 mm external wastegate. Once you figure out the right turbo combo, twins work awesome. Seen a few triple turbo trucks.

Quick Reply: 02 24v rebuild