2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 3500 Solid Axle Swap SAS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 08:56 PM
Tucsontechie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram 3500 Solid Axle Swap SAS

I feel silly posting twice in just a couple days.Noob warning!

While this isn't an altogether, in general, hard to search topic. My particular situation appears to be.

I have done a lot of fab work before but never a SAS. I feel ready to take on the challenge and my Ram, who's front end completely needs to be rebuilt, seems like a great candidate to just swap out the axle for what I want.

My issue is, my truck is a 96 Ram 3500 Dually with the 5.9 Cummins and NV4500. I want a dually front axle with the same wheel/bolt pattern as my rear axle so I don't have to carry a spare (not to mention a non dually front wouldn't be ideal anyway.)

I see lots of info out there about using ford axles for the lockers at the hub. I do like the idea of not having the CAD but I am really lost as to my options. I can't recall ever finding a detailed article about a solid axle swap for a dually. Are all Dana 60s created equal and it's just the dually hub that makes the difference? Will ford and dodge 8 lug wheels interchange if I used a Ford axle? Did ford make manual hubs for duallys?

Can anybody please help?
I can really soak up the info if anyone has anything to offer me. I super appreciate any help I can get.

To clarify this rig, because of what it is, will never be a giant, lifted 4x6 but a little taller than stock with the capability to recover my offroader toys would be ideal. I also plan to SAS my 99 Durango in the future.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucsontechie
I feel silly posting twice in just a couple days.Noob warning!

While this isn't an altogether, in general, hard to search topic. My particular situation appears to be.

I have done a lot of fab work before but never a SAS. I feel ready to take on the challenge and my Ram, who's front end completely needs to be rebuilt, seems like a great candidate to just swap out the axle for what I want.

My issue is, my truck is a 96 Ram 3500 Dually with the 5.9 Cummins and NV4500. I want a dually front axle with the same wheel/bolt pattern as my rear axle so I don't have to carry a spare (not to mention a non dually front wouldn't be ideal anyway.)

I see lots of info out there about using ford axles for the lockers at the hub. I do like the idea of not having the CAD but I am really lost as to my options. I can't recall ever finding a detailed article about a solid axle swap for a dually. Are all Dana 60s created equal and it's just the dually hub that makes the difference? Will ford and dodge 8 lug wheels interchange if I used a Ford axle? Did ford make manual hubs for duallys?

Can anybody please help?
I can really soak up the info if anyone has anything to offer me. I super appreciate any help I can get.

To clarify this rig, because of what it is, will never be a giant, lifted 4x6 but a little taller than stock with the capability to recover my offroader toys would be ideal. I also plan to SAS my 99 Durango in the future.
To my knowledge all Dana 60s are the same

Old 02-06-2021, 07:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

The center section and the tubes are the same but there are some differences on knuckles and such depending on manufacturer. If you look at the break downs(dana axles) if it's not made by dana/spicer it says " Contact Vehicle Manufacture".

Old 02-06-2021, 10:20 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
The center section and the tubes are the same but there are some differences on knuckles and such depending on manufacturer. If you look at the break downs(dana axles) if it's not made by dana/spicer it says " Contact Vehicle Manufacture".
I meant all Dodge Dana 60s my mistake of not putting that critical part

Old 02-06-2021, 08:07 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Why are your swapping axles? The Ram 3500 has a front Dana 60 from the factory.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:40 PM
Tucsontechie
Amateur

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Why are your swapping axles? The Ram 3500 has a front Dana 60 from the factory.
My truck does not have a front axle at all. It's a rear wheel drive with independent front suspension.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:46 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucsontechie
My truck does not have a front axle at all. It's a rear wheel drive with independent front suspension.
That makes sense now, keep in mind the front frame section of a 2wd is different than a 4x4. You could find a donor truck and swap the frame, axle, transfer case and transmission over.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:47 PM
Tucsontechie
Amateur

Originally Posted by 00t444e
That makes sense now, keep in mind the front frame section of a 2wd is different than a 4x4. You could find a donor truck and swap the frame, axle, transfer case and transmission over.
Update. I had a 1996 2500 4x4 fall in my lap so I have almost everything I need now. Will 4x4 dually front pinion/hubs bolt right onto the non-dually 4x4 steering knuckles? Also, I've read the easiest option for this swap is to cut the front frame off both trucks and swap them that way. I have yet to see a video or write-up on anybody doing THAT. Like I said I'm not opposed to fab work but frame cutting and grafting seems... Complicated at best. Any sources available?

Old 02-10-2021, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I think just swapping the frame would be less work......

Old 02-10-2021, 11:42 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think just swapping the frame would be less work......
I concur with this. Just swap frames

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 3500 Solid Axle Swap SAS