2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 12:52 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm happy with my Bluetop box so far. A little over 2k miles and just as tight as installed. It returns to center after turns and I'm not hearing any extra noises from the factory pump. I'm running 35" generals with no lift.

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Oh, never mind. Bluetop's owner used to work for Redhead, apparently. I want nothing to do with that company, even an ex-employee. His gears will be just as bad. Here's a blurb from the website:In 2011, Ryan (Myron's son), purchased the business. During that time Ryan re-established the business in Stanton, North Dakota. He reorganized and started pushing the business area across the United States. Ryan's experience re-manufacturing steering gears with another large company in Seattle, Washington helped him with the understanding of many different types of steering components and the re-manufacturing process. With the new location, better facilities, and a lot of years ahead, he pushed harder expanding sales from coast to coast. By this time Ryan had updated most of the equipment and had purchased more machining equipment to be able to keep all work in-house. In 2017 Blue-Top Steering expanded into re-manufacturing steering valves and steering cylinders to add to the service abilities. Since 2017 the business has grown every month as more people look to have a quality product installed on their vehicle to keep them steering straight down the road.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:44 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Huh.

I ordered a brand new Lares box and intermediate shaft from RA about a month ago. Decided I would tackle it today.

Got the old shaft off (not easy) and compared to new one. Much different in thickness and the shaft telescopes the other end from OEM. Old one had zero play and telescoped much smoother. Almost didn't install it but it went on easier than the old one came off. Might as well try it at this point.

Moved on to the new gear. Took off the brace and started working on the pitman arm. I've removed it twice before but this time it wouldn't budge. Not even with a sledge. I even bent the stupid rent-a-puller POS. So I put the sway bar back on and the nut and ran up town to get a better puller. Lo and behold the pump doesn't whine anymore.

Huh. What.

Was the shaft causing issues with the gear/pump? Was the steering brace? What the heck. Oh, who knows. For the first time in 5 years I didn't hear my pump whine or hsssss when turning. I might try putting the brace back on and see if that did it. Although it wasn't on for years when it did previously so who knows. I'm gonna drive it another week and see what gives. Still want the new gearbox on at some point. Need a better puller.

Stay tuned for another episode.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Huh.

I ordered a brand new Lares box and intermediate shaft from RA about a month ago. Decided I would tackle it today.

Got the old shaft off (not easy) and compared to new one. Much different in thickness and the shaft telescopes the other end from OEM. Old one had zero play and telescoped much smoother. Almost didn't install it but it went on easier than the old one came off. Might as well try it at this point.

Moved on to the new gear. Took off the brace and started working on the pitman arm. I've removed it twice before but this time it wouldn't budge. Not even with a sledge. I even bent the stupid rent-a-puller POS. So I put the sway bar back on and the nut and ran up town to get a better puller. Lo and behold the pump doesn't whine anymore.

Huh. What.

Was the shaft causing issues with the gear/pump? Was the steering brace? What the heck. Oh, who knows. For the first time in 5 years I didn't hear my pump whine or hsssss when turning. I might try putting the brace back on and see if that did it. Although it wasn't on for years when it did previously so who knows. I'm gonna drive it another week and see what gives. Still want the new gearbox on at some point. Need a better puller.

Stay tuned for another episode.
Ran into the same issue with my pitman arm had to use a torch and just put a new one on with grease on the splines.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:16 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Ordered a heavy duty puller today. Drove to work and the steering is a lot better. Who knew the intermediate shaft was such a culprit. Still haven't heard the noise. So weird.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

It's been my experience that the rag joint at the bottom of the shaft ages out..... and becomes sloppy, as do the joints in the shaft.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:28 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Top of the shaft. But yeah, you'd think so but I worked and twisted it compared to the new one and didn't feel or see any movement. I nearly reinstalled the old one considering how much beefier it is. Not sure about the new one's longevity.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can apply a lot more torque to it with the steering wheel.

But yeah, you would think bad joints would be something you could feel with the shaft in your hands.....

Old 03-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou

But yeah, you would think bad joints would be something you could feel with the shaft in your hands.....
Easy now . . . .

Old 03-16-2022, 04:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Easy now . . . .
Do you think it might just be possible to bring your mind UP to the gutter?

Old 03-17-2022, 12:36 AM
Ramman18
Champion

C'mon, Ray Charles saw that one coming

Quick Reply: As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga