2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 11:38 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I have napa and oreillys. Yeah, prolly just get a full kit, either Delphi or AC Delco. Enough of moog crap.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Link to what you ordered??

I have looked at the true cross-over steering system, but, my major questions is: How are the different lengths of the drag link, and the track bar, going to interact, and is that going to be a problem?
I say that's blantely false. I run crossover I welded up on my 3rd and 4th gen for years now. 3rd gen with no stabilizer 4th with opposing stabilizers. Plus my buddy installs them daily on straight axles but here is the link!

Old 06-08-2021, 11:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The Advance Auto near me will price match Rock Auto.
That's lucky! Ours around here will not.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I say that's blantely false. I run crossover I welded up on my 3rd and 4th gen for years now. 3rd gen with no stabilizer 4th with opposing stabilizers. Plus my buddy installs them daily on straight axles but here is the link!
It was a question, not a statement. If you have ran the system, and it doesn't cause problems, all well and good. I note on the product page though, it says "Off Road Use Only"...... Though I am quite sure folks run it on the road.

That's lucky! Ours around here will not.
I have been doing business with them since the opened, more than 30 years ago..... So, I may NOT be the typical case.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:01 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

It was a question, not a statement. If you have ran the system, and it doesn't cause problems, all well and good. I note on the product page though, it says "Off Road Use Only"...... Though I am quite sure folks run it on the road.

I have been doing business with them since the opened, more than 30 years ago..... So, I may NOT be the typical case.
I knew it was a question. I was taking to the guy who told you that .
Yeah legally can't run anything but tie rods on steering. The only downside is the Heim joints I used, do give more feedback through the steering, not much at all and I believe it's you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice it. They came out with a insulated Heim joint I might try

Old 06-09-2021, 10:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I knew it was a question. I was taking to the guy who told you that .
Yeah legally can't run anything but tie rods on steering. The only downside is the Heim joints I used, do give more feedback through the steering, not much at all and I believe it's you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice it. They came out with a insulated Heim joint I might try
I have seen heims with delrin inserts.... Supposedly you get less vibration/road shock with those.. Only real problem I see with them is, they are open joints, so, subject to whatever slop you are driving through, thus, don't last as long as you would like. If they are rebuildable, all well and good, if not, they could get expensive in a hurry. (depending on how you use your truck....)

Old 06-09-2021, 11:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I have seen heims with delrin inserts.... Supposedly you get less vibration/road shock with those.. Only real problem I see with them is, they are open joints, so, subject to whatever slop you are driving through, thus, don't last as long as you would like. If they are rebuildable, all well and good, if not, they could get expensive in a hurry. (depending on how you use your truck....)
The ones in talking about are still new, and they are sealed. They cost about $180 for a joint

Old 06-14-2021, 03:01 PM
Ramman18
Champion

So I'm close to getting the Delphi T steering kit. Been studying the part numbers to assemble the set but I can't confirm the sleeves. From what I gather, there are two sizes: 1" - 18 and 1-1/8" - 18 which means I have those already with the Moog kit: big one on tie rods and smaller on drag link. It would be great if there was a part number cross reference place but I'll have to guess. If they are the same as the Moog, then all the Delphi rods should screw right in. Can't imagine one brand being different sizes.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Here's the Delphi parts at this point:
TA2794 drag link TRE
TA2789 pitman arm TRE
(should connect with 1"-18 sleeve)
TA2797 long TRE at passenger side with drag link hole
TA2790 short TRE at driver's knuckle
(should connect with 1-18" - 18 sleeve)

According to the pics on rockauto, both 2797 and 2790 have the flat bushings for the ***** to prevent rollover. Moog of course doesn't do this anymore and only one AC Delco tie rod shows it. I'm really on the fence but probably will try these Delphi parts. If they truly do bolt right in, I could get away with just new tie rods at the wheels and leave the drag link intact because I don't think they are shot yet. But who knows. Whatever I do won't make it steer any better anyway. Here's the Delphi:

And the Moog:

Moog sleeve:

Delphi sleeve:

Old 06-14-2021, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I not the moog part has a bend in it, and the delphi part does not. IS that going to clear the diff cover?

I would be REAL interested in how the new tie rods perform, and if your 'roll' is reduced/eliminated...... I'm gonna need to be doing this soon as well. Already have on tie rod that needs replaced.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:19 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Well, since it's designed for the larger Dana 60, it should fit. Besides, the pics on rockauto are not necessarily correct. Hence my hesitation.

Quick Reply: As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga