2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 12:26 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Genos is just the retailer and I can't find anywhere a better deal then their price. Must be set by BD. That's the whole conversion kit for 495. Even ebay is more but I digress.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Genos is just the retailer and I can't find anywhere a better deal then their price. Must be set by BD. That's the whole conversion kit for 495. Even ebay is more but I digress.
I thought the Spohn came with everything to? I guess it really comes down to what you like. I've seen things on Genos get highly marked up. I do know that it can be straight and clear everything. Another option is buy just the bracket, and used a factory 3rd gen bar.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:00 PM
Ramman18
Champion

No, I have a 3" lift so I need an adjustable bar. Otherwise, yeah.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:36 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Ebay have adjustable 3rd generation track bars cheap. Personally I bought the bracket and will use a factory bar or the ebay adjustable ones for my lifted Ram. I will say this go with what you are comfortable with

Old 06-27-2021, 01:58 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Finally got the bar rebuilt. Took all week and lots of tools and tricks. Finally found a snap ring at fastenal. Also got the new tie rods installed but it was too hot today to finish. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:01 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Finished the alignment (zero toe) and tightened everything down. Took her for a spin. Definitely tighter over bumps and steering is a bit less loose. Not amazing but much better.

I put the castor at top dead noon, toe to zero, and straightened the steering wheel. Hopefully it proves to drive well. I've only buzzed around town a little since it's 108 out.

Overall:
- definitely would never rebuild the track bar again. It's just too much hassle to get all the individual parts, remove paint, remove old bushings, etc. Next time will be a 3rd gen kit.
- Delphi TREs are nice quality and definitely the same size bars/threads as the moog. I ended up getting new MasterPro sleeves from oreillys which fit perfectly as well. The Delphi ends are flat bushings to prevent rollover. Hopefully they last longer than the moog crap.
- I also took the time to scrape the old paint and rust off the Skyjacker springs and repainted red with tractor enamel. Hopefully they remain red for awhile.
- This is the newest everything under the truck has ever been since 1999. The steering gear is four years old, pump is one year old, hoses 1 year old, new track bar and TREs. I'm crossing my fingers!

Old 06-28-2021, 04:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Got pics of the GM TREs?? That sounds like a good upgrade for my truck.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Still fighting the lack of power assisted steering? I'm going to order the Sophn kit. I can let you know how it is if you want.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:37 AM
Ramman18
Champion

I'll get some pics tomorrow. I was too worn out today. The heat here is unbearable and no AC. Been really bad.

It seemed to steer smoother, the power assist was different but I don't know how much better. Couldn't hear the pump cause the AC was cranked on high so who knows. When I left the driveway the steering wheel cocked at about 10 oclock so I had to do more adjusting. Kinda feels dead in a way but maybe it will settle in. More to come I'm sure.

Where do you have your caster bolts? Long time ago I read to put them top noon but I've tried forward and rearward and there doesn't seem to be a difference. I can't figure which way is positive or negative. I'm a musician, not an engineer. Thanks, guys.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:01 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I'll get some pics tomorrow. I was too worn out today. The heat here is unbearable and no AC. Been really bad.

It seemed to steer smoother, the power assist was different but I don't know how much better. Couldn't hear the pump cause the AC was cranked on high so who knows. When I left the driveway the steering wheel cocked at about 10 oclock so I had to do more adjusting. Kinda feels dead in a way but maybe it will settle in. More to come I'm sure.

Where do you have your caster bolts? Long time ago I read to put them top noon but I've tried forward and rearward and there doesn't seem to be a difference. I can't figure which way is positive or negative. I'm a musician, not an engineer. Thanks, guys.
I have adjustable arms so no caster bolts. I run about 3-4 degrees positive with 35s. When the bigger part of the "washer" is facing the rear of the truck that's a positive caster, when it's pointing at the top that's neutral, when it's pointing towards the front of the truck that's negative. If that helps.

Quick Reply: As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga