2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 11:29 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks, fanatic, I have them at the top but will put them rearward one notch again. That's where they were before this tear down.

Here's some pics:

Fresh paint! Skyjacker used to paint their parts red.

Drag link at pitman arm is standard boot.

Driver side puck bushing.

Passenger side puck bushing. Drag link is sleeve boot that's open on the bottom.

Old Moog with my washers hack to prevent rollover.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Thanks, fanatic, I have them at the top but will put them rearward one notch again. That's where they were before this tear down.

Here's some pics:

Fresh paint! Skyjacker used to paint their parts red.

Drag link at pitman arm is standard boot.

Driver side puck bushing.

Passenger side puck bushing. Drag link is sleeve boot that's open on the bottom.

Old Moog with my washers hack to prevent rollover.
No problem! Happy to help! What lodging did you use those springs look really good! I am thinking about getting their 2.5 in springs to get rid of the puck and their m95 socks for the front.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:41 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Sorry, what lodging? I don't know what you mean.

Edit: I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Does that count?

Old 06-29-2021, 02:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Sorry, what lodging? I don't know what you mean.

Edit: I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Does that count?
This new phone I meant paint

Old 06-29-2021, 03:23 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Your phone turned "paint" into "lodging"? Wow, I thought my phone was bad.

I used ACE oil enamel. Basically tractor paint. On the track bar I used some red spray paint I had with etching primer underneath.

Took her for a longer drive today and it's definitely tighter in the suspension. I barely feel potholes or any road imperfections. The steering is smooth and quiet! The pump no longer whines. Apparently either or both the track bar and moogs were causing it undue stress. It still isn't real positive on center though. Not sure how to get that feel. When I drive my parents' Tahoe it always centers nice with good power either way. It's a steering gear as well but IFS so who knows. Drives like a car that thing.

But there's very little play now and it seems to have power assist both ways, just not very much. It reminds me of a brand new power wagon I test drove a couple years ago. Surprisingly didn't have very positive steering either. I'm okay with this and hope it will only improve as the joints break in. I'm debating re-installing the stabilizer shock on the new TREs . . . .

Old 06-29-2021, 03:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,398 Likes on 3,138 Posts

I used ACE oil enamel. Basically tractor paint. On the track bar I used some red spray paint I had with etching primer underneath.

Took her for a longer drive today and it's definitely tighter in the suspension. I barely feel potholes or any road imperfections. The steering is smooth and quiet! The pump no longer whines. Apparently either or both the track bar and moogs were causing it undue stress. It still isn't real positive on center though. Not sure how to get that feel. When I drive my parents' Tahoe it always centers nice with good power either way. It's a steering gear as well but IFS so who knows. Drives like a car that thing.

But there's very little play now and it seems to have power assist both ways, just not very much. It reminds me of a brand new power wagon I test drove a couple years ago. Surprisingly didn't have very positive steering either. I'm okay with this and hope it will only improve as the joints break in. I'm debating re-installing the stabilizer shock on the new TREs . . . .
I think phones universally HATE the Fanatic. Some of his posts are truly interesting to read.

So did the GM style tie rod ends solve the tie-rod roll problem?

The following users liked this post:
MoparFanatic21 (06-30-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 05:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Steering stabilizers I never cared for but I plan on running hydro assist steering. I'm glad you're situation improved man! I'm going to install a PSC steering box and if you want I'll let you know how that turns out as well.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think phones universally HATE the Fanatic. Some of his posts are truly interesting to read.

So did the GM style tie rod ends solve the tie-rod roll problem?
Seems to. The design doesn't allow the crossover tie rods to roll so, yeah. I can't turn them up and down while underneath like the moogs. It's almost a true crossover system.

You seem real curious about this for awhile so go ahead and get them. See what happens. It was like 180 bucks or so from rockauto.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:00 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Steering stabilizers I never cared for but I plan on running hydro assist steering. I'm glad you're situation improved man! I'm going to install a PSC steering box and if you want I'll let you know how that turns out as well.
PSC are still around? Thought they stopped making boxes like a decade ago. Or at least for the 2nd gens. There were a lot of posts before 2010 about them being bad. Yeah, keep us posted. Go ahead and put it here as well.

Drove around tonight and the truck is definitely better. My rebuild on the track bar is awesome. It's even better than when new. Had no idea that is was so shot and rusted solid. The suspension is now so tight yet supple and smooth. And the tie rods are feeling better. I'll update after a few hundred miles.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,398 Likes on 3,138 Posts

Seems to. The design doesn't allow the crossover tie rods to roll so, yeah. I can't turn them up and down while underneath like the moogs. It's almost a true crossover system.

You seem real curious about this for awhile so go ahead and get them. See what happens. It was like 180 bucks or so from rockauto.
Yeah, because my truck has a significant dead zone in the steering..... and it makes emergency maneuvers much more exciting than they need to be. And unfortunately, even in the tiny burg of Adrian, we seem to have more than out fair share of idiot drivers.

Quick Reply: As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga