2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:44 AM
Robb Conn
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will piggy back on this if I could. Mine goes into 4x4 but makes a clicking noise. I have never owned a CAD equipped vehicle before, so I am assuming that possibly the vacuum might have a leak and is not strong enough and is not fully connecting the axles together?

Old 02-10-2021, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb Conn
I will piggy back on this if I could. Mine goes into 4x4 but makes a clicking noise. I have never owned a CAD equipped vehicle before, so I am assuming that possibly the vacuum might have a leak and is not strong enough and is not fully connecting the axles together?
If the light comes on, the actuator is moving its full travel. Still, the little pads on the fork might be gone, giving it some slop, or a selection of other possible problems. Question becomes, WHERE is the noise coming from? U-joints can make a clicking noise as well.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:18 AM
Robb Conn

Great question. I come from the Jeep world and it doesn't sound like a ujoint click, but something that I will double check anyway. My initial thought was that the outside half-shaft might have chipped or worn splines but a ujoint would be better to deal with.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Great question. I come from the Jeep world and it doesn't sound like a ujoint click, but something that I will double check anyway. My initial thought was that the outside half-shaft might have chipped or worn splines but a ujoint would be better to deal with.
I had a noise I chased for weeks. U joints were tight and had light rust. Well after exhausting all other options I replaced them. I noticed they were dry and the needle bearing had flat spots. So sometimes you just have to change them

Old 02-10-2021, 11:58 AM
Robb Conn

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I had a noise I chased for weeks. U joints were tight and had light rust. Well after exhausting all other options I replaced them. I noticed they were dry and the needle bearing had flat spots. So sometimes you just have to change them
Yes, true story, been there before for certain!

Old 02-10-2021, 12:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes, true story, been there before for certain!
It drive me nuts lol. Just so you know EMS Off-road makes a chromoly axle shaft to get rid of the two piece shaft

Old 02-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

The front CV could certainly produce a clicking sound at the centering ball and this will often not show itself during the "grab 'n shake" test. Disconnect the driveshaft and work the CV around by hand to really inspect it. Should be smooth

Old 02-10-2021, 12:40 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

https://4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html I'm not a fan of vacuum operated 4x4. I bought the #1100 that permanently locks the CAD. The other problem our Dodges have is the snap ring on the output shaft of the transfer case. You need to remove the driveshaft and tail shaft housing to check the snap ring. Sometimes it breaks, sometimes it pops out of the groove. Check closely to make sure it's not next to the groove and not actually in it. https://www.drivetrain.com/parts-cat...fer-case-saver
The drive shaft will eventually push the shaft into the transfer case until it self destructs.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:51 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit
https://4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html I'm not a fan of vacuum operated 4x4. I bought the #1100 that permanently locks the CAD. The other problem our Dodges have is the snap ring on the output shaft of the transfer case. You need to remove the driveshaft and tail shaft housing to check the snap ring. Sometimes it breaks, sometimes it pops out of the groove. Check closely to make sure it's not next to the groove and not actually in it. https://www.drivetrain.com/parts-cat...fer-case-saver
The drive shaft will eventually push the shaft into the transfer case until it self destructs.
I've done both of these to my truck (1996 1500 with 225,000 miles on it) and have been very happy with both. Definitely glad I'm no longer having to worry about vacuum issues.

Quick Reply: 4x4 stopped working