2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

R46h Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R46h Rebuild

I have a 1994 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT. 2 wheel drive, 318v8, 192,000 miles. Bought it really cheap with Transmission trouble. Will not up shift without letting off gas pedal, then only to 2nd. I changed the fluid (from pan) did not flush system. Installed new Shift Solinoid, filter, had some shavings and small pieces of aluminum from (?). Researched ID#, came back R46H. No repair history. I pulled the tranny. QUESTION IS..how difficult is that model to rebuild. I've heard DON'T TRY IT, to easy as any.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Welcome to DF!

Actually, several members here have rebuilt their own transmissions, having never be inside an automatic before. There are LOTS of resources available on the web for how to go about it, there is even a youtube series on it.

Oh, and it's 46RH. (4 speed, 6 is "relative torque capacity" whatever that means..... R is rear drive, H is hydraulic control) TCC and O/D are controlled by the PCM, via the solenoids. Get yourself a GOOD rebuild kit, and torque converter, take your time, and you can do this. Only real tricky part is that 800 lb/in spring in the o/d housing...... Need a press and the right tool for that. (watch the videos. )

Old 03-22-2021, 09:03 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

I bought a Chilton manual on the truck but I'm going to order a rebuild manual on that particular transmission also. I have all the tools and have some skill.. nice clean place to work so I will order the manual for that tranny, but I would like to know where is the best place to buy a complete overhaul kit for that transmission...

Old 03-22-2021, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can download the factory service manual for your truck from here. I thought we had the trans manuals around here somewhere as well, but, I can't come up with 'em at the moment. (no idea if they are any better/worse than the service manual....)

Check out these guys for rebuild kits, and converters.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:15 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Thank you so much I will do a lot of Reading and watching videos and get prepped with all my parts and supplies and will post to this thread occasionally...again thank you so much

Old 03-23-2021, 06:38 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you happen to have a picture of the Aluminum that was in the pan? I changed the fluid in my trans a little while back for the second time since I have owned the truck. And had some in the bottom of my pan. But the trans seems to be shifting fine.
I’m interested to see where you find that it all came from.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:06 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

I have it out in the shop in a paint strainer all I have to do is find that paint strainer I can tell you now though it looked like a piston ring that had been broken into several pieces a half inch to maybe 1 in Long.. but it was aluminum, about five pieces.. I can send a photo of the transmission filter as well which has quite a bit of small shavings on it nothing large. The only history I got out of the seller was that the truck began to have shifting problems and then one morning it wouldn't shift at all..

Old 03-23-2021, 10:11 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Some of those pistons in that transmission are made of plastic and are weak points in the transmission. Its a good idea to install new aluminum accumulator pistons when rebuilding the transmission.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:39 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yessir, I plan on repairing or replacing EVERYTHING I can. I have rebuilt and beefed up some GM turbo valve bodies in my youth but NEVER an entire rebuild. In the Dallas Texas area the cost of a a SHOP REMOVE, REBUILD (?}, AN REPLACE IS 1600 TO 1800.. (I hope I'm allowed to say that), I'm retired military so I got the time. I'm a little intimidated but I think I can do it ESPECIALLY with technology. AND THIS FORUM. I'm ordering a manual. I'm posting a pic of it to get some input. But, THANK YOU, for input, that very likely where that "ring" looking shrapnel came from

I'm not representing or endorsing this product or any affiliate.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That is the correct book. Rumor has it, it is an invaluable resource.

And yep, pieces of a the large snap ring..... common failure in these transmissions.

Quick Reply: R46h Rebuild