2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Non running to now running, backfire issue with a previous Water/Methanol installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 05:21 PM
Completespaz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were all equally fouled. Every single one of them.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I wonder if the injectors as just too big. I would expect they had been replaced when the huffer was installed... as I doubt the stock injectors would be able to keep up with a boosted motor. (depending on how much boost.....) Might wanna look at what injector pulse-width is at idle. Knowing the injector flow rate would be required for it to be meaningful though.

Yeah, ALL the plugs being fouled points to something other than a stuck injector..... unless they ALL are, and then I would expect you would have real trouble starting it, as it would flood as soon as you turned the key on.

Ran the same with the O2 sensors unplugged? Is there a piggy-back unit to increase fuel under boost?

Old 06-22-2021, 07:23 PM
Completespaz

EVERY single new plug I had installed was sooted up to hell. That is what I was wondering also with my original question if there is a unit to piggyback for more fuel what exactly would I be searching for as far as what it would look like? Any example pics I could go off for that type of setup. (with the fouled plugs at times it would keep cranking until it fired up) It was one of the reasons for yanking the plugs to take a look at them. Same backfire issue with O2's unplugged.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it has one, it should be somewhere between the engine, and the PCM, in the harness. I don't know if it would be right over(on?) the pcm itself, or if they would stash it somewhere else, but, the connection should be obvious. I would think..... It's entirely possible though, that the PCM was simply flashed for the blower, and any compensation for boost happens in there, so, it looks completely stock.....

Old 07-14-2021, 10:23 PM
Completespaz

So, was able to get back to working on my truck. Couple of things I spotted and took notice of. It took a step backwards while i was away from it. It went back to a lope idle like its cam'd and burning oil like crazy until it "reaches engine temp"... Then it idles perfectly fine with no smoke at all. Thing is it takes raising the RPMs up for way to long to have it start idling ok with the forward step of trying to solve the backfiring issue. I noticed that it was saying engine temp was at 170 (didnt go any higher after letting idle for a bit and im pretty sure it should be higher.) No overheating symptoms either even with that thought in mind of the gauge seeming slightly off. With that said, is it possible the temp sensor is telling the PCM that the truck is running an impossible low temp which is causing the idle surge issue? And could it also throw off other sensors if that sensor is faulty? Basically could this be the little **** thats causing all of my issues? BTW, there was no piggyback.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Plug in with a scanner, and see what the sensors are telling the PCM. Seems something isn't working properly when cold, but, as the engine warms, starts playin' nice.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Do you know if the plenum gasket was replaced or does it have an M1? I second the scanner, There you see what's going on. Have a look at the map sensor readings also.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:01 PM
corsair231

I know I'm a little late to the party but I've got a 97' with a Kenne Bell and can give you a little insight. First, with the KB setup the stock injectors are still used. Extra fuel is supplied by a pair of piggyback injectors located on the back of the crossover manifold, just above where the throttle body would normally sit. There is a piggyback engine management system called the Optimizer on your passenger side fender that controls the fuel and timing for boost. As far as the water/meth kit, well most of them are either controlled by the MAP sensor or a Hobbs style switch. I can't be sure but it looks like a stock low boost pulley (around 6 lbs) on the supercharger itself so unless it is overdriven by the crank pulley, the truck really shouldn't need a meth kit at that boost as long as 91 plus octane fuel is used.

A bad temp sensor can make the truck think it is cold and add fuel but the supercharger install calls for a colder thermostat. Without a load on the engine, the stock radiator and fan can keep the engine right at the thermostat opening point for quite a while before starting to ease up, especially on a cool day. The plenum gasket can be a problem on these engines with a stock keg intake and add boost, well, even worse. If yours has never been changed, I would bet that yours needs some attention. It was the problem that caused me to have to pull the supercharger and the intake off my truck. I was under boost one day and the truck popped and pushed the gasket out. I had two bolts from the bottom of the intake just lying in my lifter valley from where the gasket let the bolts back out. They make a steel plate upgrade that is supposed to cure that issue and I recommend doing it even if you end up pulling the s/c and not putting it back on. The M1 solves this problem but they are rare and expensive and questionable performance gains if you do the kegger mod. I can't tell which one you have but I would bet on the stock keg if I had to guess.

The only other difference between yours and mine, other than the meth kit, is I don't see a fan shroud. I'm assuming that you have an electric fan conversion that is working correctly.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:48 AM
Completespaz

I'll pass that info on. I actually put the truck up for sale due to having a medical issue that put me behind on some things. I no longer can afford to put money into working on it sadly. Another possibility that was being tossed around was a possible boost leak somewhere as it seems to remain in vac even with a load. If anyone is in or around WA state and interested in the truck or parts from it, it is where I have it listed.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Completespaz
I'll pass that info on. I actually put the truck up for sale due to having a medical issue that put me behind on some things. I no longer can afford to put money into working on it sadly. Another possibility that was being tossed around was a possible boost leak somewhere as it seems to remain in vac even with a load. If anyone is in or around WA state and interested in the truck or parts from it, it is where I have it listed.
Have a link to the listing?

Quick Reply: Non running to now running, backfire issue with a previous Water/Methanol installed