2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Non running to now running, backfire issue with a previous Water/Methanol installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 02:14 PM
Completespaz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Non running to now running, backfire issue with a previous Water/Methanol installed

So I have a '98 Ram 1500 with 74k miles on it with Kenne Bell supercharger on it. Basically somewhat gifted to me from a buddy of mine. It's the first truck I've ever owned and I'm in love with the damn thing. When I first got it, it wasn't running. I have heard and seen it run perfectly fine before but as soon as he got rough idle issues it sat for a while because he had no time to chase the issue. Well, I got it purring now except under load. I have some skillsets with vehicle mechanics but not as intricate as learning that some of the goodies under the hood are for a Water/Methanol injection system. All of it's disabled, had someone with more knowledge than me come take a look at it and he told me to hit the forums to see if anyone knew or had some possible solutions as to what could be causing my issue, also the one that taught me about the Water/ Methanol setup. Under load, it backfires quite a bit. The truck is running super-rich to where the new plugs are getting fouled. So far what I have done is: New crankshaft position sensor, new plugs, and wires, new TPS, EGR was good but I cleaned it up, New belt also, new tensioner (bounces more than I like). Things I am currently chasing down: Tach stopped working (it is the only gauge that isn't functioning, haven't been able to see if the speedometer is functioning), the backfiring issue... It took me a while to do a reset to get the computer to realize there are new sensors. Before it started purring, it was low surge idling (idle to where it's supposed to be to dropping and back up). Didn't think it was a vacuum leak because it would be high idle but checked anyway and nothing. With a new TPS, I could unplug it and it would idle normal. Plugging the TPS in it would go back to surging. Did the reset method for the new TPS but nothing changed. Unplugged the MAF sensor (truck wouldn't start and the sensor was new from the previous owner) plugged it back in, did a reset and suddenly it's idling as it should. Now the backfire issue didn't show until this point. Turning the steering wheel to activate the pump for a small load doesn't make it backfire but any acceleration does. Does anyone have any ideas? Wondering if it's possible that they may have had a canister or tank piggybacking off the main gas tank for more fuel with the water/methanol setup. What would it be called? Where would it be located? Also, could the PCV valve cause the backfiring issue? PCV valve I hadn't checked yet because I would have to pull the blower and everything else off to get to it basically making it a somewhat huge job. Any help is appreciated.

First peek under hood... when I first got it

Old 06-22-2021, 02:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

98 Shouldn't have EGR.

What plugs did you put in it?

Tried driving with the front O2 sensor unplugged?

Old 06-22-2021, 02:42 PM
Completespaz

Unplugged upstream O2 and downstream to see if there was a change, nothing. There is also no cat. Made the mistake of grabbing OE plugs but took the old ones and got the equivalent... nickel NGK's. I know Kenne Bell has specifics as to what plugs go well with their rig but figured taking the old ones was my best bet. My bad it was the IAC valve that i pulled and cleaned... had cleaned the EGR on my subie at the same time so got them mixed up.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Completespaz
Unplugged upstream O2 and downstream to see if there was a change, nothing. There is also no cat. Made the mistake of grabbing OE plugs but took the old ones and got the equivalent... nickel NGK's. I know Kenne Bell has specifics as to what plugs go well with their rig but figured taking the old ones was my best bet. My bad it was the IAC valve that i pulled and cleaned... had cleaned the EGR on my subie at the same time so got them mixed up.
I never get mixed up........ Uh huh. And if you believe that, I have some really nice ocean-front property in Nevada I would like to sell you.

These engines like copper plugs best. Adding the huffer in the mix though, not sure how that would change things.

Do you have a scanner that can read live data??

Old 06-22-2021, 03:09 PM
Completespaz

Ok.... complete brainfart. LOL Still learning here... Yeah I tried looking for copper but they only had nickel as the closest equivalent. The friend who told me to hit the forums plugged his scanner in. There was nothing that popped up down the line but one code P0132 is caused by an oxygen sensor circuit high voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1). The entire time there had been no check engine light except when I exchanged the sensors. Cleared that one to see if it would come up again and nothing. Live feed everything was fine from what he saw.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a look at short, and long-term fuel trims. See if anything interesting is going on there.

You may have a stock injector, or something similar.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:17 PM
Completespaz

Did notice there was an aftermarket fuel rail... looked like they installed it because the supercharger wouldn't fit with the OE rail. I'll look into it.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:29 PM
Completespaz

Thank you!

Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That should have been "STUCK" injector...... Darn keyboard.......

Old 06-22-2021, 05:19 PM
Completespaz

Knew what you meant lol ...Wouldn't it be a specific plug and not all that get fouled if an injector is stuck?

Quick Reply: Non running to now running, backfire issue with a previous Water/Methanol installed