2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge V10 engine swap, in Alaska, I got it run n

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 10:07 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I pulled the fuel rail and brought it down to the boat when I had the engine out and soaked it in diesel. i bought another fuel rail and fuel line when I was in Seattle. i cut the fuel line in half so I could flare the ends and install a real fuel filter! plus it had to be cut in order to ship it on my barge load.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:09 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Gonna replace the pump and clean the tank. if it still runs like crap I will bite the bullet and pull the rails. plus I will clean my old injectors in the process! Baby steps I guess!?

Old 07-13-2021, 10:10 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Pulling that intake plenom is not my favorite task! however, I am getting pretty good at it!

Old 07-13-2021, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,294 Likes on 3,041 Posts

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
Pulling that intake plenom is not my favorite task! however, I am getting pretty good at it!
Repetition will do that for ya. Of course, you will have nightmares about it too.....

Old 07-13-2021, 11:01 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Repetition will do that for ya. Of course, you will have nightmares about it too.....
I have found that a gear wrench is the key tool to making the job a lot easier! That last bolt on the intake plenum is not exactly easy to get at!

Old 07-13-2021, 11:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,294 Likes on 3,041 Posts

Yeah, I am real curious who thought it was a good idea to hide a good chunk of the engine back underneath the cowl...... Makes workin' on 'em difficult, to say the least.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, I am real curious who thought it was a good idea to hide a good chunk of the engine back underneath the cowl...... Makes workin' on 'em difficult, to say the least.
Have to lay on top of the engine to get at the back plug on the driver side! Those headers dont make it an easier either. Almost burned thru my heater hose yesterday after the plug wire and coil pack swap! Glad I was standing there for the initial start up. Smelled plastic and rubber almost instantly! nothing a few black tape wraps couldnt fix!

Old 07-14-2021, 03:32 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Changed fuel pump and cleaned out the tank. holy you know what! there was atleast an inch of water in the bottom of the tank and dirt for days! Busted out the generator the shop vac and a few 5 gallon oil buckets and made short work of it! We dont drop tanks in Alaska! We just get the cut off wheel out and cut access holes in the bed to get to the top of the fuel tank! so much easier this way! So $334 later, have a new fuel pump and 35 gallons of fresh supreme unleaded!

I think my sluggish feeling of lack of power is the transmission? When I take off in drive, it feels like the tranny is maybe slip n? but when I take off in first gear it seems to get with it on demand! reverse seems snappy too! so my guess is the band on the drive gear is pretty loose or wore out? I will buy a fuel pressure guage tomorrow when I return the fuel pump!

Easy access and the fastest pump I know of, THE HANDY SHOP VAC!

Old 07-14-2021, 03:41 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default New seals and gaskets = no leaks

Kinda nice to have an engine that holds all its fluids! Its like a brand new truck! 204$ for a years worth of insurance and the DMV is shutdown so I dont have to worry about license tabs! (Been expired since Mar2020)

Nice to be back on the road! We shall see how long she continues to run with this engine swap! Fingers are crossed, for sure! cheers ya'll! should be some new problems to discuss once I start put n some miles on the odometer!

Old 07-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default New replacement engine, same old problem?

So 2 weeks into the donor engine running, I still have the same issue? On the cold start in the morning engine fires right up and idles great. About 45 seconds after starting it. The engine starts to idle rough, you can hear it start to suck more air and the exhaust is rich, makes your eyes burn. So, if I used all my original sensors and the donor engine has the same issue, could one assume it has to be one of the sensors? like a mass air flow or an air intake sensor? Lord knows I have changed almost every sensor on this truck before the old engine failed! The mystery continues...........

Quick Reply: 96 dodge V10 engine swap, in Alaska, I got it run n