2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge V10 engine swap, in Alaska, I got it run n

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 10:47 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 96 dodge V10 engine swap, in Alaska, I got it run n

HeyYou, I finally got this 96 dodge v10 run n. Between covid and the cold it only took 19 months, but hey, better late then never!

Ok, so here's my issue now. Truck runs like it did with the old engine in it? No power at all. Doesnt seem like its run n on all 10 cylinders? Everything is brand new except the fuel. The fuel is from december of 2019. Could that be my issue. I mean the truck runs terrible! It wouldnt move off the hill when I first started it. When I changed the radiator I lost all the fluid out of the cooler and the lines. it took another 7 quarts to get it to move. Tranny seems fine, but the engine sputters and wont even spin the tires in the dirt? Bad fuel hopefully?

The reason the engine wouldnt start when i finished the install in february was because the fuel gelled and plugged the line. I bought another line when i was in seattle and swapped it today. Truck fired right up. Ran good for a few minutes then started idle n rough? Now it starts fine but seems like its only run n on 6 to 8 cylinders. No power and real sluggish. I changed everything I could on this engine. Wonder if this donor engine is bad or my coil packs? It should be run n like a top all the work I did to it!

Old 07-12-2021, 12:16 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
HeyYou, I finally got this 96 dodge v10 run n. Between covid and the cold it only took 19 months, but hey, better late then never!

Ok, so here's my issue now. Truck runs like it did with the old engine in it? No power at all. Doesnt seem like its run n on all 10 cylinders? Everything is brand new except the fuel. The fuel is from december of 2019. Could that be my issue. I mean the truck runs terrible! It wouldnt move off the hill when I first started it. When I changed the radiator I lost all the fluid out of the cooler and the lines. it took another 7 quarts to get it to move. Tranny seems fine, but the engine sputters and wont even spin the tires in the dirt? Bad fuel hopefully?

The reason the engine wouldnt start when i finished the install in february was because the fuel gelled and plugged the line. I bought another line when i was in seattle and swapped it today. Truck fired right up. Ran good for a few minutes then started idle n rough? Now it starts fine but seems like its only run n on 6 to 8 cylinders. No power and real sluggish. I changed everything I could on this engine. Wonder if this donor engine is bad or my coil packs? It should be run n like a top all the work I did to it!
Ya know the plugs, the wires and the coils packs are about the only thing externally I didnt change? Its still odd to me how it started and ran good until i stepped on the throttle it revved up then coughed and sputtered then died. Barely started back up and blew a cloud of whiteish grey smoke out and has ran like crap ever since. Just like the old engine!?

Old 07-12-2021, 12:16 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default Tried to find all our old posts?

I was trying to find our old posts to continue to add this new info to it? Guess I better stick the fish n!

Made 25grand last week bonk n kingsalmon!

Old 07-12-2021, 12:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
I was trying to find our old posts to continue to add this new info to it? Guess I better stick the fish n!

Made 25grand last week bonk n kingsalmon!
What color is the spark?

Old 07-12-2021, 06:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Did you happen to check fuel pressure?

Old 07-12-2021, 08:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,400 Likes on 3,140 Posts

I would suspect there is still some crap in the fuel lines/injectors. May have to drop the tank, flush the lines, and clean the injectors. Get rid of the old fuel as well.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:54 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would suspect there is still some crap in the fuel lines/injectors. May have to drop the tank, flush the lines, and clean the injectors. Get rid of the old fuel as well.
I will get a fuel pressure guage today. i replaced the entire fuel line all the way up to the fuel rail. I was hoping none of that crap made it to my injectors, but the way this project has gone it wouldnt surprise me. Nobody in this town cleans fuel injectors. i saw that youtube video of the guy using a 9volt battery to clean injectors. I have the old ones from the original engine sit n here in a box next to me. so maybe i give it a whirl!? definitely gonna get rid of the old fuel. i can run it thru an old generator in have. The fuel pump is brand new. when i first started the engine the return line on the pump popped off and fuel was pour n out the back of the truck. I have an electric fuel pump to get rid of the old gas.

Well, glad to be back with a running rig. still not convinced this donor engine isnt roached? remember the thermostat had malfunctioned and there was moisture on the rocker arms. i am still see n moisture on the dipstick! Figured it was from sit n all those months? Maybe it goes away after run n it for a while? Will do more work to it today and get back to ya'll with my findings! Thanks as always!

Old 07-12-2021, 11:40 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

I am no expert, but even bad fuel would have a hard time flow n thru that filter! This pump was replaced in sept of 2019. Only way metal rusts in fuel is the presence of moisture! looks like I am gonna need another fuel pump!? Good thing Oreillys has a lifetime warranty! This will be the 4th fuel pump in like 4 years!

I changed the coil packs and plug wires today and it didnt change a thing. was pump n out the old gas and pulled the fuel pump and this is what i was delighted with! Something new every day with this Dodge!

Now i know what plugged my fuel lines! I wondered where all the rust came from! Now I know!

Old 07-12-2021, 11:58 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

The tank is full of water

Last time i checked water has a low octane level!

Old 07-13-2021, 07:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,400 Likes on 3,140 Posts

Yeah, water really doesn't burn all that well......

The tank should be plastic. Where did all the rust come from? Seeing that, I think you really need to pull the fuel rails, and flush 'em out.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge V10 engine swap, in Alaska, I got it run n