2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge V10 engine swap, in Alaska, I got it run n

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would be REAL careful about using a shop vac with a flammable liquid..... That could get REALLY exciting, very quickly.
The shop vac has been universal in removing oil, diesel and gasoline! I think there was enough water present to keep the flash point down? I tried using my electric fuel pump to empty the tank and it would only pump about a gallon an hour! shop vac handled it in a matter of seconds! You know "SHOP VAC" went out of business due to covid? This poor shop vac will never be the same! Walmart or Chinamart, as I like to call it, carries some chinese brand of vacuum now? Just more mass produced junk coming from China! Piling up our land fills!

New 02 sensors get here friday. Checked gas mileage with the donor engine. A pathetic 6.3 MPG! Ya know, at one point this truck got 13MPG after I put this aftermarket performance chip on it!? Even 13 sux! But better then 6.3! Gonna have to wait until the bilbical rains let up! Bet its rained 5 inches in 24 hours!? Joys of living in a temperate rain forest!

Old 08-06-2021, 09:02 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default Tranny just blew

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
The shop vac has been universal in removing oil, diesel and gasoline! I think there was enough water present to keep the flash point down? I tried using my electric fuel pump to empty the tank and it would only pump about a gallon an hour! shop vac handled it in a matter of seconds! You know "SHOP VAC" went out of business due to covid? This poor shop vac will never be the same! Walmart or Chinamart, as I like to call it, carries some chinese brand of vacuum now? Just more mass produced junk coming from China! Piling up our land fills!

New 02 sensors get here friday. Checked gas mileage with the donor engine. A pathetic 6.3 MPG! Ya know, at one point this truck got 13MPG after I put this aftermarket performance chip on it!? Even 13 sux! But better then 6.3! Gonna have to wait until the bilbical rains let up! Bet its rained 5 inches in 24 hours!? Joys of living in a temperate rain forest!
Was heading out north to retrieve my new O2 sensors and the transmission gave up the ghost! Just flipped 216k and all gears are neutral except park now. Pulled the dipstick and fluid is definitely burnt! Which transmission does the 8.0L V10 have? The 47RE? Trying to find a replacement. Never ending battle with this Dodge! New Transmission and rebuild the front end and this truck is almost brand new!

Old 08-07-2021, 08:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,294 Likes on 3,041 Posts

Yep, 47RE.

They really aren't that bad to rebuild, if you want to do it yourself. There are a LOT of resources out there to aid you.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:21 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, 47RE.

They really aren't that bad to rebuild, if you want to do it yourself. There are a LOT of resources out there to aid you.
Transmissions are one piece of the drivetrain I have never quite understood? Maybe a couple YouTube videos and a shop manual would advance my knowledge of it? I think there is only 1 transmission shop on this island. Called one of my shop owner buddies last night and he offered to order me a new one, but said nothing about rebuilding the old one. In the same breath said he was too busy to help but offered a parking spot in his back lot to store it in until I figure out what to do with it!? Wonder how much a rebuild kit costs compared to a new one?

Could there be a problem with the torque converter as well? After sit n in a park parking lot, I fired the truck up and it went into reverse and then went into gear for a few minutes. just long enough to get me back on the highway and go out again. i limped it closer to the shop parking lot. then eventually had to get towed the last half mile off the side of the highway.

Last edited by Stitch Mitchell; 08-07-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default v10 47RE tranny

Well, I wonder if there is a quick fix on thia 47RE? I was going up a hill and the truck just started slipping in gear. Then every gear was gone? Sat on the side of the road for a while, fired it back up and the gears worked for a minute amount of time. then began slipping in all gears again. replaced the fluid and filter when i replaced my engine. fluid was fine until slipage event. now fluid is definitely burnt. any ideas other then a smoked tranny?

Old 08-07-2021, 05:48 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Well, I wonder if there is a quick fix on thia 47RE? I was going up a hill and the truck just started slipping in gear. Then every gear was gone? Sat on the side of the road for a while, fired it back up and the gears worked for a minute amount of time. then began slipping in all gears again. replaced the fluid and filter when i replaced my engine. fluid was fine until slipage event. now fluid is definitely burnt. any ideas other then a smoked tranny?
unplug the plug on top of the trans and drive it like a manual, shifting from 1 to 2 etc see if it still does it

Old 08-07-2021, 06:28 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
unplug the plug on top of the trans and drive it like a manual, shifting from 1 to 2 etc see if it still does it
Yeah roger that! next time i get out to the truck i will try that. so far, found a replacement trans and torque converter out of minnesota for 1800$ plus 1000$ core charge!

Old 08-07-2021, 06:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yeah roger that! next time i get out to the truck i will try that. so far, found a replacement trans and torque converter out of minnesota for 1800$ plus 1000$ core charge!
Not to bad. I rebuilt three trans in my life and it was pretty easy. Then again around me is only $1000 for a stock rebuild

Old 08-09-2021, 08:18 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default V10 transmission

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Not to bad. I rebuilt three trans in my life and it was pretty easy. Then again around me is only $1000 for a stock rebuild
So I am trying to figure out which angle to take with this tranny situation? i found one from a 5.7L , 8/95 manufacturing date. its 600$ but i am not sure if the v8 trans will interchange with the v10 models?

Old 08-09-2021, 09:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

So I am trying to figure out which angle to take with this tranny situation? i found one from a 5.7L , 8/95 manufacturing date. its 600$ but i am not sure if the v8 trans will interchange with the v10 models?
It will not the V8s had a 46re the Cummins/V10 had a 47re. Even the Cummins won't fit I believe the input shaft is bigger

Quick Reply: 96 dodge V10 engine swap, in Alaska, I got it run n