2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Ram 5.9 stalls antone have an answer

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 07:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by 78dave
Ok, the guy said "it was a communication problem" and I need a new PCM. He wants $1,000. Oh well niot sure he did anything to check why the PCM was bad. Anyway I see I can get a VIN matched PCM for about $225 or I can send in my old one and have it checked and then refurbished or replaced for $225. Thoughts on what to do? BTW they want $600 for the PCM and $300 to program in the Vin.
That's outrageous. I takes a few minutes to change the PCM, and a few minutes more to program the VIN. Tell them "No." Then do your own troubleshooting. Stalling is rarely a PCM problem.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:00 AM
78dave
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did ask them about their diagnosis and they ran it until it stalled. Their OBDII would not communicate with the PCM. That I think is a tip the PCM is bad - I also could not connect. They checked all the wiring and grounds too. Said when it stalled he tapped on the PCM and it re-started. That too makes me wonder. I drove it home and it died on the way home. This time my wife was following with the other truck and I hooked up the tow strap. Got back in and it started so I just drove it the rest of the way home. I think after talking to my other mechanic is to send in this PCM for a testing then see if they replace or send it back as good - that at least eliminates the PCM if it is still good which I doubt now. G7 does this out of NY

Old 08-26-2021, 09:17 AM
78dave
Amateur

I went ahead and ordered a programmed PCM. As I read more about the alternate idea of sending it in is states if the unity is beyond repair they send it back and charge $25, Just more possible cost without a fix. I'll let you know if this fixed my problem.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:04 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Watch this guy explain breakout boxes. This has to do with CAN busses in cars. I know you might not be an electronics whiz...but then again. If ya wanna spend around $50 on a breakout box, then this can help you find your no comm problem. Good luck, hope it helps.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:00 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

The OP never answered my questions (post #7) so we still don't know if it's a problem is with pcm. There are a few thread here on the communication issues with the pcm, Don't think the OP tried any of those either(witch may be the cause why he can't get the scanner to work).

Old 08-28-2021, 07:46 AM
78dave
Amateur

Thank you for the video. I will follow his lead especially if this PCM does not work. This is not my daily driver and it is really only for hunting. It is blistering hot here in Missori so I might wait until it cools some to spend time on this. Per #7 it stall while under way with the throttle. I have only once had it stall out when sitting idle, but this was after it had stalled before in the day. I will be sure to get back at you , but I do plan on testing the pins on the OBDII as soon as possible.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:08 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

This process is neither as difficult or painful as it sounds. It's actually very straight forward, even without a breakout box. You really only need a meter, the breakout box just makes it easier.

Old 08-29-2021, 07:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Per #7 it stall while under way with the throttle.
Did the gauges(speedo) drop after it died while still moving?

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram 5.9 stalls antone have an answer