2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What did i do wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 04:45 PM
ajp89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did i do wrong

Tranny (46RE) went in my 2001 2500 360. While having the tranny out, I did a little maintenance while I had the room: rear main seal, oil pan gasket, clean oil pan/oil pump, transfer case seals, ball valve delete, along with a rebuilt transmission.

After reinstalling, on initial startup, I blew out the seal on my engine oil filter. I was hoping maybe I didn’t have it on tonight enough or it was a defective filter but it’s not. I bought another and the same thing happened. I took a video of the filter on the second startup and as it builds oil pressure, you can actually see the bottom of the filter bubble out and then the seal gives loose and pukes oil everywhere. Yes, I instantly shut it off each time.

Did I do something wrong??? Could it be the PCV valve not letting enough pressure out? Should I have replaced the oil pump? I didn’t have oil pressure issues before so I’m assuming it’s something I did. Any help is appreciated!

Old 09-04-2021, 04:53 PM
ajp89

Originally Posted by ajp89
Tranny (46RE) went in my 2001 2500 360. While having the tranny out, I did a little maintenance while I had the room: rear main seal, oil pan gasket, clean oil pan/oil pump, transfer case seals, ball valve delete, along with a rebuilt transmission.

After reinstalling, on initial startup, I blew out the seal on my engine oil filter. I was hoping maybe I didn’t have it on tonight enough or it was a defective filter but it’s not. I bought another and the same thing happened. I took a video of the filter on the second startup and as it builds oil pressure, you can actually see the bottom of the filter bubble out and then the seal gives loose and pukes oil everywhere. Yes, I instantly shut it off each time.

Did I do something wrong??? Could it be the PCV valve not letting enough pressure out? Should I have replaced the oil pump? I didn’t have oil pressure issues before so I’m assuming it’s something I did. Any help is appreciated!
Tried uploading the video and can’t get it to work

Last edited by ajp89; 09-04-2021 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Video
Old 09-05-2021, 06:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

What did the oil pressure go up to on the gauge? You either have a blockage or a defective pump. In the pump there is a relief valve so the pressure doesn't go to high that's why i asked.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:08 AM
ajp89

Originally Posted by Moparite
What did the oil pressure go up to on the gauge? You either have a blockage or a defective pump. In the pump there is a relief valve so the pressure doesn't go to high that's why i asked.
not exactly sure. I saw the needle keep rising then I shut it off as soon as I heard the oil coming out.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:19 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Need to post the video on YouTube then post the link here. Did you install the oil pump right?

Old 09-05-2021, 10:45 AM
ajp89

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Need to post the video on YouTube then post the link here. Did you install the oil pump right?
doesn’t it only go on one way? It wouldn’t bolt on or even fit in the pan any other way?

Old 09-05-2021, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I have seen this particular issue before on a Honda. The oil pressure relief valve jammed, so the engine was getting pump pressure. (north of 1000PSI) Of course, the filter isn't rated for that kind of pressure, and it would go spherical, and then blow out the crimp seam, and oil went everywhere. Replace the oil pump, (which the relief valve is part of,) and the problem was gone.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:59 AM
ajp89

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have seen this particular issue before on a Honda. The oil pressure relief valve jammed, so the engine was getting pump pressure. (north of 1000PSI) Of course, the filter isn't rated for that kind of pressure, and it would go spherical, and then blow out the crimp seam, and oil went everywhere. Replace the oil pump, (which the relief valve is part of,) and the problem was gone.
it’s sounding like this is the issue. I’ve heard a few people mention this exact thing while doing some online research. I’m guessing after I cleaned the pump/pickup tube in a parts cleaner, I let it sit too long before oiling up and installing it. Maybe it got stuck inside after being dry too long.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:13 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Could be a stuck pressure release valve or maybe the bottom half of the dist shaft that does into the pump isn't connected?

Quick Reply: What did i do wrong