2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 02:37 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
So I bought myself a parts truck today….02 1500 5.9 with 148k. Frame broke on both sides BUT I drove it onto trailer. Engine sounds great, trans went good, 4x4 worked….paid $400 and have clean title……has perfect set of rims, aftermarket tail lights, decent enough body where I’m going to fix bed sides and sell bed for $1000…..made out like a bandit. Going to throw that engine in my truck, rebuild my current engine with upgrades, and now that I have all kinds of spare parts I’m sending the spare tranny out to be re done to handle the new engine all while still being able to drive my truck……

I never find great deals so I’m pretty pumped about this
Congrats!

Old 11-04-2021, 07:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
So I bought myself a parts truck today….02 1500 5.9 with 148k. Frame broke on both sides BUT I drove it onto trailer. Engine sounds great, trans went good, 4x4 worked….paid $400 and have clean title……has perfect set of rims, aftermarket tail lights, decent enough body where I’m going to fix bed sides and sell bed for $1000…..made out like a bandit. Going to throw that engine in my truck, rebuild my current engine with upgrades, and now that I have all kinds of spare parts I’m sending the spare tranny out to be re done to handle the new engine all while still being able to drive my truck……

I never find great deals so I’m pretty pumped about this
That is what they call "Serendipitous". I have ran into deals like that, but, they are extremely rare, and ya gotta jump when they present themselves. Start a thread for your build project. You know how we are about pics.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:22 AM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That is what they call "Serendipitous". I have ran into deals like that, but, they are extremely rare, and ya gotta jump when they present themselves. Start a thread for your build project. You know how we are about pics.
could your tick/tap be a muffler deflector that is rattling by chance. Or a heat sheild deflector that vibrates more with that rpm. Just a thought

Old 11-04-2021, 02:01 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxv6
could your tick/tap be a muffler deflector that is rattling by chance. Or a heat sheild deflector that vibrates more with that rpm. Just a thought

no I checked everything with stethoscope, visual, and touching everything…..pretty sure it’s cylinder 8….but I’m pulling it regardless and rebuilding myself with non stock items lol….spare engine is going in my truck in meantime

Quick Reply: 5.9 engine noise