2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tuning on a 2nd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 08:19 PM
ParDaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning on a 2nd gen?

99 2500 QC 5.9 V8 HD, Currently the motor has EQ aftermarket heads, plentum repair done, ported TB, CAI, Shorty Headers, true dual exhaust w/H pipe, and a 160° thermostat..
the truck runs great, and the most noticable difference (aside from the plenum repair) was throttle response due to the ported TB..
I have another motor with some build up being done to go in, the regular stuff you know, +.30 high comp pistons, a .480 lift cam, Edelbrock Rpm heads, blah blah blah, anyway...

Ok so onto the topic, tuners/tunes for our (2nd Gen) trucks?
Where do I go, who do I talk to?
​​​​​​
...one guy says send in my ECM/ECU and others say I can plug and play... I just want the rest of my HP and Torque!
Few mpg be nice too...

Last edited by ParDaddy; 03-30-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

The two big names are Flyin' Ryan (FRPTuning) and Hemifever. I think Ryan actually wants to lay hands on your truck for the custom tunes. Hemifever I believe will do email updates. Both will require you have a wideband O2 sensor, and the capability for data logging.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:12 AM
ParDaddy

Capability to data log... Like a laptop? I have a generic obdll scanner, for looking up codes more or less..
can I buy a SCT hand held tuner for my truck is I guess what I'm asking? Like run a pre programmed tune, then have it modified later? And if so, the big ?, Which one?
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-30-2022, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, both hemifever, and Ryan, use the SCT tuner. They have canned tunes for stock motors, but, as yours isn't stock..... They likely wouldn't work well. Best bet would to contact them, tell 'em what ya got, and see what they have to say.

The following users liked this post:
ParDaddy (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:38 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't recommend flying ryan. He denied me service because I didn't have head and intake work done to write a custom tune for my mild engine work done. Hemi fever good luck trying to get ahold of. Reach out to marty at UTAwesome. He wrote my custom tune through a sct tuner and he's great to deal with !

Old 03-31-2022, 06:22 AM
ParDaddy

Yup, reached out to hemifever through email, nothing yet... I'm sure they busy and all... Utawsome I've felt with but didn't know they did it, solid info!
quick ? Tho... With what I've done I believe I need more fuel delivery, if I put larger injectors in it without changing anything farther.... Anybody?
I don't mind waiting, been slowly turning this into the truck out should have been stock...

Old 03-31-2022, 07:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Larger injectors will certainly deliver more fuel, though, they may also confuse the PCM. In closed loop, the O2 sensors will keep mixture where it should be.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:29 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

I've contacted HemiFever and at the time I contacted him a year or so ago, he only provides custom tunes for vehicles running premium fuel, as I'm trying to make as much power/torque as possible for low-midrange towing on regular fuel. Also, tried to contact Marty via his website, but he never replied back.

You can perform tuning yourself now via HP Tuners (finally added JTEC tuning capabilities for our trucks a few years ago) and a laptop, however, there is a cost and learning curve to go this route.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think a one-vehicle license for the software, is about the same cost as paying someone else to do custom tuning.....

Old 03-31-2022, 04:59 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I've contacted HemiFever and at the time I contacted him a year or so ago, he only provides custom tunes for vehicles running premium fuel, as I'm trying to make as much power/torque as possible for low-midrange towing on regular fuel. Also, tried to contact Marty via his website, but he never replied back.

You can perform tuning yourself now via HP Tuners (finally added JTEC tuning capabilities for our trucks a few years ago) and a laptop, however, there is a cost and learning curve to go this route.

I was able to keep in touch with him through his email. I even spoke to him on the phone once.

Quick Reply: Tuning on a 2nd gen?