2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans keeps ruining fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 08:36 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
On page 6 of MonteC's Transmission corner thread, he has a list of suggested parts for a member that regularly towed a 7K lb trailer. At one time, I had a nice spread sheet with what the parts were, and pricing, but, that's been a few years, and a couple harddrives ago..... and I no longer can find it. Some of the parts were duplicates, as things changed in the trans over the years. (RH to RE mostly.) Of course, that wasn't inexpensive either, not even considering labor if you paid someone else to do it....

An interesting experiment would be picking up a cheap 47 from a local yard, pulling everything out of it, and see if it will indeed transfer to the 46 case.... (or even a 48, if you can find one for a reasonable price.....)

But yeah, rebuilding these transmissions certainly is not cheap. I was floored by how much it cost when I checked into it. I was used to what we charged at the Chevy dealer for a complete R&R..... under 1500 bucks.... parts, labor, taxes, the whole shebang. These days, you pay that much just for the parts for a 'stock' rebuild on one of ours. I feel old..... (I worked at the dealer back in the early 90's.)
dang, I’m really regretting my non Chevy purchase right about now. I might find a 47re on Facebook or something if I can get one cheap enough I’ll do the research for the forum! I’m sure someone’s done it and I think I have seen it before now that I think about it

Old 04-06-2022, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by CheeseWheel
dang, I’m really regretting my non Chevy purchase right about now. I might find a 47re on Facebook or something if I can get one cheap enough I’ll do the research for the forum! I’m sure someone’s done it and I think I have seen it before now that I think about it
That would be GREATLY appreciated. We would all love you for at least 10 minutes.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:40 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That would be GREATLY appreciated. We would all love you for at least 10 minutes.
I could really use that 10 minutes of fame

Old 04-06-2022, 08:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by CheeseWheel
I could really use that 10 minutes of fame
Everybody needs some love.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

My understanding the input shaft is bigger in a NV4500 from a diesel/V10 that can be changed though. Cheapest option is rebuild it. 545rfe is pretty pricey and most you find will need rebuilt.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:16 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Given the prices to get a good running transmission put into your truck with the least amount of hassle, the best option is likely to go back with the 46RE, but rebuild it with durability and performance in mind. I just had my 46RE rebuilt in this manner last year and its doing great and shifts firmly and reliably. My local builder installed a complete rebuild kit (all new seals, bushings clutches, bands and electronics), drums that added more clutches (in addition to adding more clutches to the overdrive setup), installed heavy duty planetary sets with added pinions, replaced the plastic pistons with aluminum pistons, used a thick heavy duty band strut, installed a Sonnax shift kit and a deep cast aluminum transmission pan with filter extension to hold an added 4 quarts of fluid. Last year's cost to rebuild/beef up the 46RE transmission was a little over $2,000 (parts & labor), which didn't include the cost of the RV torque converter from Precision of New Hampton, IA (5444HDRV). As was mentioned, many of the parts noted above can be found in the 47RE and 48RE transmissions, however, hard parts out of used transmissions need to be checked to determine if they can be used again during the rebuild process. Lastly, be sure to have a good core torque converter available when getting your replacement converter. Since cores are in short supply lately, most rebuilders want a core when purchasing a torque converter.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:30 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

How much do the bigger drum kits cost? I’d like to make the 46re as reliable and comfortable as my Honda Pilot transmission was, I was spoiled by it and I want that nice smooth but firm shift back
I already have the new electronics, I’m going to test them before reinstalling them but I just spent $300 on all new solenoids and sensors, although what else is in these transmissions? Governor switch/solenoid, TCC, OD, right? Everything else is hydraulic and runs on the TV CABLE?

Old 04-06-2022, 11:48 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Given that metal shards ran through your transmission, I personally would be hesitant to reuse the electronics/solenoids that have been run through that metal & muck. I really don't know what the prices are for the higher capacity transmission drums, since inflation is driving most things higher, including transmission parts. Here is a link to the Sonnax web site that lists things they carry for the 46RE - https://www.sonnax.com/units/400-46re. When I installed my rebuilt transmission, I ended up replacing my TV cable with a new one, as the old one seemed to have rust accumulated inside the cable, which caused it to bind up and caused inconsistent shifting. Once I replaced it, all of the inconsistent shifting issues went away - Throttle Valve (TV) cable 52079204. Whatever it Takes Transmission parts is also a good supplier of 46RE parts - https://www.wittrans.com/

Old 04-07-2022, 11:41 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

I found a 5 clutch drum from a 48re that says it fits all of the 4 speeds from that time for $90~ does this seem reasonable? I also don’t know automatics that well, is there only one basket for the gears? There must be a separate one for reverse and OD right? That’s why it’s a separate housing?

Old 04-07-2022, 11:55 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Does someone smarter than me know what stall I should get for torque converter? Also should I go big now so it’s ready for upgrade or wait until I’m upgrading everything?
currently I have 3.55 rear gear and 32” tires
but eventually the truck will have 38” tires and possibly 4.10 gears
the only one I can find that isn’t 2500 stall is a 1600-1900 stall and that seems too low for my truck, but 2500 seems too high considering the truck cruises at around 1700rpm

Last edited by CheeseWheel; 04-07-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans keeps ruining fluid