2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Passenger Window Not Moving Up or Down

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 12:44 PM
latkelarry
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Passenger Window Not Moving Up or Down

Hi all,
This last week I've been working on replacing the speakers on my truck (2000 Ram 1500, 5.9L, 4x2 automatic trans, quad cab) and since I had the door panel off I figured I'd just go and replace the window motors and actuators since they had been making some sporadic movements and sounds as of late. I got the driver side window motor/actuator all installed and working, but my passenger side motor/actuator doesn't seem to cooperate. I first tested my old motor, which I knew had worked prior to taking anything apart, and it didn't work either. I followed this by testing the new motor/actuator on the driver side and it moved with no issue. I tested all the wires and signals coming out of the master switch (driver side), secondary switch (passenger side), and motor connector plug and I'm receiving power/up and down signal at all locations. I even checked the signal with the door fully open, ajar, and closed, to eliminate the possibility that the wire was damaged somewhere. I don't believe this truck has a master window lock button so I'm stumped as to what could be the issue. Finally I checked the fuse in the passenger compartment and it seems undamaged, and even if it were I wouldn't be able to use the driver window (which works) since both power windows have the same fuse. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Pictures of signal testing: https://imgur.com/a/hi0VFEY

Old 08-08-2022, 02:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Test at the motor connector. Put your test light across both pins, if its an LED test light, it is going to be polarity dependent. The window switch just reverses current flow for up/down operation.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:46 PM
latkelarry
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Test at the motor connector. Put your test light across both pins, if its an LED test light, it is going to be polarity dependent. The window switch just reverses current flow for up/down operation.
I don't believe I can get the tip of the test light to go across both pins of the connector at the same time as they're recessed in the plastic connector; I will try and report back. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 08-08-2022, 02:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Use a couple paper clips, inserted into the connector, don't short them together though. That would be bad. put the ground clip for the test light on one, and the probe end on the other. Hit the switch. Up and down. The test light *should* light up, on one, or both instances.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:00 PM
latkelarry
Professional

So just to confirm, something like this?

Old 08-08-2022, 03:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by latkelarry
So just to confirm, something like this?
Correct.

If you test light is LED, it will only work in one direction, have to reverse the leads for the other direction. If your test light is incandescent, it doesn't care about polarity, and should light up in both directions.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:43 PM
latkelarry
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Correct.

If you test light is LED, it will only work in one direction, have to reverse the leads for the other direction. If your test light is incandescent, it doesn't care about polarity, and should light up in both directions.
I finally got around to testing it, my light works in both directions, on both motor connector pins. Unfortunately that still leaves me as puzzled as before.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 373 Likes on 351 Posts

my light works in both directions
Is it a LED test light? Use a digital meter it will show the reverse in polarity or lack of.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have you replaced the motor?

A test light doesn't put much of a load on the circuit though..... enough to light a bulb, certainly, but, is it enough to turn the motor??

Old 08-11-2022, 10:35 AM
latkelarry
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
Is it a LED test light? Use a digital meter it will show the reverse in polarity or lack of.
This is the test light I bought; it doesn't specify LED but the circuit board the light is soldered onto makes me think it is an LED, however, the tester light lit up in both directions.

I'll test it with a digital meter and report back.

Quick Reply: Passenger Window Not Moving Up or Down