2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What would you guys do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:49 PM
ybstuk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you guys do?

ok - i'm stuck on a decision, and i need some advice. i've asked several questions on this forum in various posts about a truck i'm looking into buying. i'll try to make this as short as i can - here's the specs on the truck:

2000 Dodge Ram
3/4 ton
Quad Cab
5.9L Gas, 4x4
Auto Trans
Sport (black in color)
139,xxx miles
Short Bed
Dana 60's w/ 4.10's F&R
matching topper

OK, here's my dilemma (also, once i make my decision, i promise not to post any more of these "what do ou think i should do?" threads - )

The truck is in BEAUTIFUL shape - i personally can't believe how pretty it is (both inside & out). it has a couple things mechanically that make me wonder though. when we drove it, the shifter is very stiff, and i couldn't feel any "positions" for the gears - it just had a constant tension on it, and i had to line up the little red tab with the gear, in order to know what gear to go in (does that make sense?). when driving it, the brakes felt soft, and we heard a whining noise from the rear end (ring and pinion, more than likely). it also had signs of a leaky pinion seal on the rear axle. now whenever i applied the brake, i heard a "click" coming from the rear - it's either something with the brakes, or it's something inside the rear end. it made that noise in both forward and reverse gear. initially, we got a little scared, so we ended the test drive, and left. i hadn't tried the 4wd, nor inspected it much further. the motor sounded great - i really dont have any worries about that. tires were in decent shape, maybe half life left. also - drivers side (power) window wouldn't roll down.

he's asking $8995. now with all the things that are *possibly* wrong with it, would you try to buy it? if so, what would you offer?

if i did get this truck, i'd probably have to rebuild the rear end rather soon, and re-do all of the brakes. i'm concerned about the shifter (is it a sign of the trans going south? or just tight linkage/cable?) if it's linkage - that's an easy fix... i do have the tools/means of doing all of this work myself - good moneysaver...

i'm guessing the truck was used for towing a trailer (no 5th wheel or anything - just normal frame hitch) - thus the reason for the rear end noise (probably worn out), and soft brakes.

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated. i'm trying to get myself a dodge (a good one), so i can partake in these great discussions on this site!

one other thing - i'm thinking if i got this truck at close to trade-in price (currently about $7600), i could easily get my money back if i discovered something i didn't like, or what have you) - but i'd like to get it for as cheap as possible (of course).

Thank you very much!

YB

Old 01-03-2006, 06:08 PM
V10
Professional
Default RE: What would you guys do?

I'd buy the black `99 Sport 2500HD on ebay, 50,000 less miles and V10 power. But thats just me

Old 01-03-2006, 06:33 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

doesnt sound bad... you gotta remember... dodgeform.com is one of the best tools you can have in your "toolbox" dont get crazy with the rearend quit yet..i think mine was on the outs.. then i stumbled on this

94-01 Squeaking/Clicking Noise From Rear Leaf Springs

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/02-04-00.htm

ran onto that and that was my exact problem that... i have fixed without the rebuild kit from the stealership and was good for about a year untill it started to get crappy and rainy and wet out now they are chattering again .. spring time ill get the bushing kit and do it right htis time... atleast i know how to get the rearend down..

when i bought mytruck i think in june of 03 maybe... i noticed that same pinion seal leack.. no drips.. just oil moister around the boot... still havnt gotten it fixed yet but still works great... and i need new seals on the front axle bad..but still works great...

when i put on all new brakes on the ram about 6 months ago... the stuff i took off looked brand new.. so i threw the new stuff on anyway... total cost i think was around 240 .. and thast WITH mopar bosche rear drums b/c auto and advanced was out... and after the new ones were one...the brakes were tight as hell for about 3 days..then went back to being a bit squishy... still stop me fine.. just not at the top of the pedal like brand new cars are... who knows... the clicking could ALSO be just the fact that the rear drums need to be adjusted... the self adjusters only adjust when the pbrake is applied..which mine is never done... haynes/chiltons/steve00's xmass present i think shows how to... or i can tell you how if you want...super easy... anyway... if you can get the price down to closer to 7..then yea... atleast you know you cant lose out TOO much money if you are really unhappy with it!!!!!!! just make sure you beat the hell outa it on another test drive.. thast when underlying problems that usually cost the most start to show there face.... test the four wheel out big time!!!!!!! id hate to see you buy a 4x4 and then end up being a broke *** 2x4

Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 AM
ybstuk

does anyone else have an opinion? i'm interested in getting all the opinions i can - thank you

YB

Old 01-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with my gut feeling. If you have so many misgivings about this truck, there must be a reason why. I would personally wait and buy something I am certain about rather than buying something that looks nice but may not be mechanically sound. After all, it is a truck to be used and driven, not looked at.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:41 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Here's my opinion. Obviously there are a few issues with it. Take some time and find out what these "problems" would cost to fix. Bring this information to the dealer/seller and explain them. Tell them you will give them $_____ if they fix these problems or you will give them $_____ if they don't. Do you really want to spend $9000 on a truck that needs $800 in repairs right away? Also take another test drive and test out the 4x4 and ride the truck rough. Make sure the tranny is stong and also the 4x4. Hope this at least gives a little something to think about.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Funny Man

I could have said it better than the above post.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:26 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

i would also keep checking around. im not sure where you are and how the truck market is, but i got my 99 quad, 5.9L 4WD with 77k on the clock for $8k.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy it but thats just me. Has too many problems for me but besides those I wouldn't get another one with an Auto Transmission or 5.9L I might get an auto if I couldn't find a manual but wouldn't want to. Of course I didn't want to this time either just couldn't find a fully loaded truck with a manual.

I'd look for one with a diesel or if you really don't want a diesel a V10. The V10 seems to get better gas milage than the 5.9L while having a lot more power.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman
I'd look for one with a diesel or if you really don't want a diesel a V10.
definitely...when i was looking for mine i couldnt find one, and the ones i found, i didnt want to pay that much.

Quick Reply: What would you guys do?