2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Have some new problems after the truck sat

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 08:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,244 Likes on 2,993 Posts

Double roller timing set please.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:50 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Double roller timing set please.
is this easy to do without losing timing position? Also would it be worth getting an aftermarket cam and retiming it? I don’t mind doing it I just don’t have the equipment right now.
I was also gonna get a new intake manifold that supports a 4bbl 4150 throttle body but I want to keep efi and can’t find one for magnum heads only LA

Last edited by CheeseWheel; 11-11-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Unless you wanna do something with your tune as well, don't worry about the cam.

For the timing set, the trick is, once you have the cover off, turn the crank to line up the dots on the existing gears, then install the new ones the same way. (usually dot to dot) Might have to move one or the other a couple degrees to get 'em to line up nice, but, that is typical, and just not a problem.

Cleaning things up before you put it back together takes the longest....

Old 11-11-2022, 08:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Also, if you haven't done a tune up, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, for a while, it won't get any easier than when the intake is out of the way.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:57 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Also, if you haven't done a tune up, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, for a while, it won't get any easier than when the intake is out of the way.
I checked plugs when I bought the truck, they looked good but I’ve been debating replacing them just for peace of mind. I just want to squeeze more power out of the 5.2 for now until I’m ready to build a new motor. Just not sure what to do. I built the new transmission in it with the parts I’ve listed in previous posts and it should be able to withstand about 500-600hp

Old 11-11-2022, 09:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Stick with standard copper plugs, these trucks don't like the rare earth fellers.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:24 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Stick with standard copper plugs, these trucks don't like the rare earth fellers.
interesting, so no NGK iridiums

Old 11-11-2022, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Correct.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:26 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Correct.
alright, and any ideas on an intake manifold for a bigger throttle body?

Old 11-11-2022, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There isn't much available for performance manifolds for the magnum engines any more. There is the Hughes air gap, for around 600 bucks...... which is still available, or, if you can find one.... the Mopar M1 intake. It comes in two flavors, 2 or 4 barrel.... the 2 barrel feller would be ideal, but, good luck finding one, and please be sitting down when you look at the price. (trust me on this. )

For the money, to me, it just ain't worth it. It's a truck, the air-gap is pretty much a single plane intake, with a small plenum, so, you lose some low end torque, which is counter productive in a 6000 pound truck..... but, you gain in the mid, and upper RPM range. So, if you are building a mud truck, yeah, that'd work... otherwise... well, not so much.

Where you get the throttle body doesn't really matter. They come in various calibers, and folks have had good things to say about the 50mm guys. I don't know that going any larger really gets you anything. The 50mm will give you better off the line throttle response, which is a plus.

If you don't have headers yet, I think that would actually be the next improvement I went for. Lets the engine breath a bit better. (which means..... more power.....) Shorties are an improvement over the stock manifolds, long tubes can get you more power across the RPM range, but, can be complicated to install. Especially if you have to keep your cat.

Quick Reply: Have some new problems after the truck sat