2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Have some new problems after the truck sat

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 09:35 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There isn't much available for performance manifolds for the magnum engines any more. There is the Hughes air gap, for around 600 bucks...... which is still available, or, if you can find one.... the Mopar M1 intake. It comes in two flavors, 2 or 4 barrel.... the 2 barrel feller would be ideal, but, good luck finding one, and please be sitting down when you look at the price. (trust me on this. )

For the money, to me, it just ain't worth it. It's a truck, the air-gap is pretty much a single plane intake, with a small plenum, so, you lose some low end torque, which is counter productive in a 6000 pound truck..... but, you gain in the mid, and upper RPM range. So, if you are building a mud truck, yeah, that'd work... otherwise... well, not so much.

Where you get the throttle body doesn't really matter. They come in various calibers, and folks have had good things to say about the 50mm guys. I don't know that going any larger really gets you anything. The 50mm will give you better off the line throttle response, which is a plus.

If you don't have headers yet, I think that would actually be the next improvement I went for. Lets the engine breath a bit better. (which means..... more power.....) Shorties are an improvement over the stock manifolds, long tubes can get you more power across the RPM range, but, can be complicated to install. Especially if you have to keep your cat.
I was looking at a set of equal length headers but would short tubulars be better than equal lengths?
im just looking for more power because right now my manual CRV beats it in a race and it doesn’t have a second gear

Last edited by CheeseWheel; 11-11-2022 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Equal length is always better. But, even shorties *should* be equal length.... Shorties are better than the stock cast iron fellers in any event.

Use GOOD gaskets for them though. Remflex Dead soft copper, or aluminum. Install 'em once, forget about 'em. No leaks.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:49 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Equal length is always better. But, even shorties *should* be equal length.... Shorties are better than the stock cast iron fellers in any event.

Use GOOD gaskets for them though. Remflex Dead soft copper, or aluminum. Install 'em once, forget about 'em. No leaks.
Fel pro gaskets ok? I get a discount at AutoZone

Old 11-11-2022, 09:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

So long as they are some variety of soft metal. Those gaskets (even the el-cheap-deluxe versions) are the best. Paper gaskets suck, metal-clad paper aren't much better.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:59 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

So long as they are some variety of soft metal. Those gaskets (even the el-cheap-deluxe versions) are the best. Paper gaskets suck, metal-clad paper aren't much better.
ok I’ll make sure they’re good before getting them

Old 11-11-2022, 11:59 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CheeseWheel
3.55 and 32x7 they’re just rollers basically from my old car
If you plan to keep 32" or taller tires on the truck, you might also want to consider upgrading the gears in the front and rear differentials to 4.10 (must upgrade both to the same gear ratio since the truck is a 4x4). This will certainly enhance your stop light performance, however, upgrading the gears isn't cheap, especially on a 2nd gen Ram 1500. If the differentials were Dana 60s, you can find good used gearsets pretty cheap, since the gears are strong and quite plentiful.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:00 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
If you plan to keep 32" or taller tires on the truck, you might also want to consider upgrading the gears in the front and rear differentials to 4.10 (must upgrade both to the same gear ratio since the truck is a 4x4). This will certainly enhance your stop light performance, however, upgrading the gears isn't cheap, especially on a 2nd gen Ram 1500. If the differentials were Dana 60s, you can find good used gearsets pretty cheap, since the gears are strong and quite plentiful.
I will probably approach this route once I’m ready to get a new diff, my LSD is seized and I haven’t been able to get it to engage with just friction modifiers

Old 11-12-2022, 12:04 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Lightbulb

ok I’ll make sure they’re good before getting them
I use these with my headers along with copper silicone sealer around the ports. No leaks to-date.

https://www.scegaskets.com/store/chr...t-number-4169/

Old 11-12-2022, 12:08 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
I will probably approach this route once I’m ready to get a new diff, my LSD is seized and I haven’t been able to get it to engage with just friction modifiers
I also purchased a new LSD (Dana 60 Power-Lok) since my truck didn't have a LSD in the rear when I had the gear swap done. Very happy once the gears and LSD were installed.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:09 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I also purchased a new LSD (Dana 60 Power-Lok) since my truck didn't have a LSD in the rear when I had the gear swap done. Very happy once the gears and LSD were installed.
what do the Dana 60’s have stock? 3.73?

Quick Reply: Have some new problems after the truck sat