2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water pump / timing cover torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 04:33 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Also my dad once knicked the o-ring on the heater hose tube that enters the wp and that caused a leak.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:25 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Also my dad once knicked the o-ring on the heater hose tube that enters the wp and that caused a leak.

Ah man that sucks. The new water pump came with new tube and o ring I feel like it's solid. Leak is coming from higher and trickling down the sides. Im thinking thermostat housing or the heater core hose is cracked next to it. I mean I hope!! Easiest fix

Old 11-17-2022, 08:28 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
The heater hose clamps are good things to check and possibly tighten as well, however, the bypass hose comes off the front of the intake and goes down into the water pump, just below the thermostat housing.

I just have the spring clamp style on all the hoses . And yes when I got the new water pump it came with a new tube and o ring I feel like it's good. Seems to be the leak is up higher. And the weird thing is it doesn't leak all the time sometimes thee is a pool around the thermostat and sensor areas sometimes not. Also a tricky coming down the sides of timing cover. I'm hoping it's from the leak above !

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (11-17-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 12:04 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

I use the worm style clamps when I replace hoses and/or the water pump, so that I can easily tighten them with a screwdriver/nut driver in the event of a leak.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:50 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spring clamps are the way to go.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Spring clamps are the way to go.
Those guys tend to bite me.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:31 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

I really would like to use Wurth zebra clamps, however, they are just a bit overpriced - I like the gear being on the outside of the clamp to keep the clamp band from digging into the hose over time - https://www.wurthusa.com/Service-and...SAAEgIZkvD_BwE

For most hose repair jobs, I just use the old-fashioned, tried and true Ideal worm clamps - https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...061/11863868-p

I typically replace the factory style spring clamps with worm clamps as repairs/replacements come up.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:37 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I really would like to use Wurth zebra clamps, however, they are just a bit overpriced - I like the gear being on the outside of the clamp to keep the clamp band from digging into the hose over time - https://www.wurthusa.com/Service-and...SAAEgIZkvD_BwE

For most hose repair jobs, I just use the old-fashioned, tried and true Ideal worm clamps - https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...061/11863868-p

I typically replace the factory style spring clamps with worm clamps as repairs/replacements come up.

Ya hey? I feel like the gear clamps wear out hoses faster because they can always be over tightened overtime or from the next guy. Where as the spring clamp is always the same tension. Either way they both hold good and will cause stress in that area first

Quick Reply: Water pump / timing cover torque specs