2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Over drive switch bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 04:20 PM
Jasonclaeys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over drive switch bad?

I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9 gas I have the over drive switch on my dash the light always stays on and I can't go into over drive is the switch bad and not letting trans go into over drive ?

Old 01-25-2023, 07:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Maybe. Could try unplugging it, and see if you get O/D.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:51 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 305 Likes on 288 Posts

Also, if you have a code scanner, try checking for any trouble codes that might exist. If the transmission is throwing certain codes, it won't allow the transmission to go into overdrive to protect the transmission.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:57 PM
Jasonclaeys

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Maybe. Could try unplugging it, and see if you get O/D.
I will try that thanks

Old 02-09-2023, 11:15 PM
Jasonclaeys

Originally Posted by Jasonclaeys
I will try that thanks
well I'm at a loss changed switch tried code reader not getting any codes for trans engine light is on but no codes my temp light is on but sensors are good there new what wires should i look into trans switches gear great 1st 2nd 3rd and rpms at 2900 doing 90 k an hr fluid is full fresh oil filter and all not sure where els to look

Old 02-09-2023, 11:28 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Was the transmission in your truck rebuilt recently before this started happening? What are you using to scan for the codes?

Old 02-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Jasonclaeys

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Was the transmission in your truck rebuilt recently before this started happening? What are you using to scan for the codes?
odb2 scanner not sure of make was a freinds I swapped my trans the one I had before I had no first gear and no over drive so I swapped all the silanoids from what I was reading on forums didn't help and then my trans went into neutral had nothing so swapped trans with a fresh rebuild one drives and switches gears great just no over drive not sure if maybe there is a short in wire to pcm maybe but I would think a code reader would pick that up for engine codes my gen light is on as well but no codes for that I have a 02 sensor code that I reset and hasn't come on again but still engine light is on

Old 02-10-2023, 12:00 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Is the trans temperature light on as well as the overdrive light? If so, it sounds like you have later model electronics in that transmission. I had a similar issue right after installing my rebuilt transmission. After removing the battery cables for about 10 minutes to clear the codes, I drove the truck less than 10 minutes and the trans temp light would come on and then the overdrive light would come on right behind it locking out the overdrive. My transmission rebuilder installed later model year electronics causing the PCM to think that the transmission temperature was freezing/out of range in temperature. We drained the fluid, removed the valve body and installed the correct electronics needed for 96 - 97 46REs and all was fixed after that.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:07 AM
Jasonclaeys

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Is the trans temperature light on as well as the overdrive light? If so, it sounds like you have later model electronics in that transmission. I had a similar issue right after installing my rebuilt transmission. After removing the battery cables for about 10 minutes to clear the codes, I drove the truck less than 10 minutes and the trans temp light would come on and then the overdrive light would come on right behind it locking out the overdrive. My transmission rebuilder installed later model year electronics causing the PCM to think that the transmission temperature was freezing/out of range in temperature. We drained the fluid, removed the valve body and installed the correct electronics needed for 96 - 97 46REs and all was fixed after that.
mine is on all the time never shuts off my orignal trans temp light was on as well i tried unhooking battery didnt do anything then i seen unhook negative on battery turn key on for 30 seconds and then off hook battery and its supposed to restet pcm but that didnt work either the trans i have came out of a 97 and mine is a 96 but they are the exact same number on them are sam as well

Old 02-10-2023, 12:48 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Sounds like your PCM is producing codes which may be related to the issue you're having. Try finding someone with a decent OBD2 scanner to determine what those codes are (check both stored and pending codes), as that should help to better troubleshoot the issue.

Quick Reply: Over drive switch bad?