2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Frame rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 10:47 PM
lkrides
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame rust

Hello folks,

My truck has not been used in a couple of years. I want to use it to haul some stuff from Maryland to Ohio. I went out today to have a look at the brakes because one of the front wheels was heating up the last time I used it. I took a look at all the rust and began to wander if it is time to let this truck go. I remembered that the last mechanic who worked on it years ago told me that I should have the frame welded to reinforce it if I intend to keep it.

It is a 96 Ram 1500 5.9l V8 4WD. The engine only has 60k miles and runs great. I believe the transmission has about 30k miles. This truck is so rusty because it's sole purpose was plowing snow for the first 10 years. I'd have to spend about $5k to get a similar truck, and it would have at least double the miles.

What would you do?

Old 04-24-2023, 12:08 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

You should have several folks in that area that perform frame repairs. With the cost of new trucks these days, I'd work on finding a good welder to repair your frame. I've had some places on my frame repaired and have been very happy with the repairs. I also took some time a while ago and took the bed off the truck to treat the frame (knock off the rust with a heavy wire brush in a grinder) and apply a product called Zero-Rust to stop rust from spreading on the frame. Lots of work, but much cheaper than another truck payment. I also don't drive my truck every day, just when I need to haul things.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:28 AM
lkrides

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
You should have several folks in that area that perform frame repairs. With the cost of new trucks these days, I'd work on finding a good welder to repair your frame. I've had some places on my frame repaired and have been very happy with the repairs. I also took some time a while ago and took the bed off the truck to treat the frame (knock off the rust with a heavy wire brush in a grinder) and apply a product called Zero-Rust to stop rust from spreading on the frame. Lots of work, but much cheaper than another truck payment. I also don't drive my truck every day, just when I need to haul things.
Thanks for your reply!

How much do you think I should be prepared to spend on frame repair? $1k, $2k?

Old 04-24-2023, 08:47 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

From what I've read sometimes the frame is bad enough the experts tell you there's nothing they can do. I don't know where that threshold is.

What's the configuration? Extra cab or regular? Short bed or long?

Old 04-24-2023, 12:30 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

DON'T drive that anywhere except the JY. The frame and especially the steering and suspension are rotted. Get a rolling frame and go from there. Pull the engine and transmission first. There is a lot more than $5K worth of corrosion damage. Keep it as an off road plow or on your property hauling junk around. My .02

Old 04-25-2023, 08:26 AM
lkrides

It is a regular cab with a long bed.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:29 AM
lkrides

Originally Posted by Keith_L
From what I've read sometimes the frame is bad enough the experts tell you there's nothing they can do. I don't know where that threshold is.

What's the configuration? Extra cab or regular? Short bed or long?
It is a regular cab with a long bed.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:30 AM
lkrides

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
DON'T drive that anywhere except the JY. The frame and especially the steering and suspension are rotted. Get a rolling frame and go from there. Pull the engine and transmission first. There is a lot more than $5K worth of corrosion damage. Keep it as an off road plow or on your property hauling junk around. My .02
Thanks.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:54 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by lkrides
Hello folks,

My truck has not been used in a couple of years. I want to use it to haul some stuff from Maryland to Ohio. I went out today to have a look at the brakes because one of the front wheels was heating up the last time I used it. I took a look at all the rust and began to wander if it is time to let this truck go. I remembered that the last mechanic who worked on it years ago told me that I should have the frame welded to reinforce it if I intend to keep it.

It is a 96 Ram 1500 5.9l V8 4WD. The engine only has 60k miles and runs great. I believe the transmission has about 30k miles. This truck is so rusty because it's sole purpose was plowing snow for the first 10 years. I'd have to spend about $5k to get a similar truck, and it would have at least double the miles.

What would you do?

Having been used as a plow truck with a salt spreader,, I can tell you there is rust you can't see in there too. What you have is a rolling parts truck. All it will take is one rough pot hole and the frame will snap. I'd find a good southern truck and use your parts to fix it up. Your drive train is worth a good chunk of change. The frame is barely good for scrap metal.

This is what will probably happen if you load your truck heavy.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

By the looks of it you have more than frame rust, rockers, floor pans, probably bed sides and lower door panels. Pull the drive train and put it in a different truck.

Quick Reply: Frame rust