2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunking and Noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 05:02 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonM
Copy and paste from a different unrelated thread, idk if anyone had seen it so gonna make a new one.

I’m at work and I’m going on my lunch break. When I started it, super loud knock for a good 1-2 maybe 3 seconds. Went away. As I’m driving, I’m pressing the gas down some on and off and I hear a loud click or bang towards the right side of the truck? Maybe directly under my seat I cannot tell. Not only that, when I turn it off. There’s a very loud clicking sound coming from where the starter is, or inside the oil pan. I have video footage of both things occurring. I do not have video of the knocking on start up. I will post to YouTube unlisted and link it, I have no idea what it could be and it just started happening like not even 2 hours ago.

edit: it also is hesitating a bunch. Takes more throttle to get going now. Super random

Alright, the first clip is when driving and the 2nd is after turn off. It’s not the cool down clicking you usually hear.

https://youtube.com/shorts/j64u_P3Kv60?feature=share

I have absolutely NO idea what this is. I pray it’s not super bad.
So we've got:
1) a loud knock for 1-3 seconds after starting. This makes me think no oil pressure or maybe starter sticking on, although the latter is more of a "GHAACK" (technical term of course). Could maybe be something banging around in the bellhousing, but this would likely persist

2) a loud "click or bang" somewhere under vehicle while driving that may be throttle dependent. Could be a u-joint or transmission mount or motor mount. OR could still be something swimming around in the bellhousing (this is kind of a reach). Could be some sort of misfire/ignition problem but this would usually result more in terrible bucking UNLESS it's backfiring (gunshot-esque)? Could be the starter trying to engage while driving but again this would be more of a GACK GACK GACK than a "click or bang"

3) a weird clicking once the engine has been shut down and reportedly not a normal cool-down tick. Starter solenoid partially engaging?? <---- huge reach. Electrical short? Probably not.

4) lack of power and poor throttle response. Possible fueling issue, maybe timing is off or engine control problem such as faulty TPS.

Is it possible for the timing chain to stretch so much you'd get backfires? @HeyYou Again, seems incredibly unlikely.

You can see that -- at least for me -- with the information provided I'm literally all over the place from engine controls to drivetrain to ignition to fuel. It might as well be aliens and that would be more plausible than some of my theories above....

Old 05-19-2023, 11:17 PM
BrendonM
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keith_L
So we've got:
1) a loud knock for 1-3 seconds after starting. This makes me think no oil pressure or maybe starter sticking on, although the latter is more of a "GHAACK" (technical term of course). Could maybe be something banging around in the bellhousing, but this would likely persist

2) a loud "click or bang" somewhere under vehicle while driving that may be throttle dependent. Could be a u-joint or transmission mount or motor mount. OR could still be something swimming around in the bellhousing (this is kind of a reach). Could be some sort of misfire/ignition problem but this would usually result more in terrible bucking UNLESS it's backfiring (gunshot-esque)? Could be the starter trying to engage while driving but again this would be more of a GACK GACK GACK than a "click or bang"

3) a weird clicking once the engine has been shut down and reportedly not a normal cool-down tick. Starter solenoid partially engaging?? <---- huge reach. Electrical short? Probably not.

4) lack of power and poor throttle response. Possible fueling issue, maybe timing is off or engine control problem such as faulty TPS.

Is it possible for the timing chain to stretch so much you'd get backfires? @HeyYou Again, seems incredibly unlikely.

You can see that -- at least for me -- with the information provided I'm literally all over the place from engine controls to drivetrain to ignition to fuel. It might as well be aliens and that would be more plausible than some of my theories above....
Edit: if the starter is the one clicking out of control, do I replace the whole thing?

yeah clicking provided in the video I linked is coming directly from the starter. Or in that very tiny area. It’s a super quick clicking RIGHT after turning the truck off and then slows down after a couple of seconds. Again, with my phone under the truck tracking the sound. It’s coming directly from the starter or again, in that very tiny area. Only other place I could think would be in the pan and I doubt that?

the bang while driving does kinds feel more like a gunshot type of bang. It just randomly started happening. It’s happened a total of 3 times. 2 times the night I recorded the provided video and 1 time today. It hasn’t happened in CL fully warmed only 5 to MAYBE 10 mins into driving. Or after idle.

the oil pressure thing I’m almost certain I need to fix up. I’m certain my sensor is dying. I want to do the whole thing with the sensor. Oil pan gasket. Oil pump and pickup screen.

Last edited by BrendonM; 05-19-2023 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:19 PM
BrendonM
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That needs replaced. It does NOT go to the negative terminal though, that would be far too exciting. Why they chose to use a black wire for a HOT lead is beyond me.......

Bad battery and charging issues will give ya some truly odd behavior though.

I would assume these big wires need a bigger crimp tool, I have one but it’s just a very big one. I can provide more info when I get home, currently at work.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:48 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BrendonM
Edit: if the starter is the one clicking out of control, do I replace the whole thing?

yeah clicking provided in the video I linked is coming directly from the starter. Or in that very tiny area. It’s a super quick clicking RIGHT after turning the truck off and then slows down after a couple of seconds. Again, with my phone under the truck tracking the sound. It’s coming directly from the starter or again, in that very tiny area. Only other place I could think would be in the pan and I doubt that?

the bang while driving does kinds feel more like a gunshot type of bang. It just randomly started happening. It’s happened a total of 3 times. 2 times the night I recorded the provided video and 1 time today. It hasn’t happened in CL fully warmed only 5 to MAYBE 10 mins into driving. Or after idle.

the oil pressure thing I’m almost certain I need to fix up. I’m certain my sensor is dying. I want to do the whole thing with the sensor. Oil pan gasket. Oil pump and pickup screen.
Well maybe you are getting a backfire. Has anyone done any ignition work lately? Mixing up certain plug wires will sometimes cause only an occasional misfire. Or maybe your wires are arcing, there was a TSB about wire routing which is often discussed here.

Before you condemn the starter for an odd clicking noise I'd want to lay fingertips on it while the noise is occurring. You should be able to feel it. Then I'd completely disconnect the negative battery terminal while it's occurring -- it should stop immediately. The starter is an electrical component (obviously) so with no power it should be completely incapable of doing anything.

Even if I determined the starter was doing this I'd then look closely at wiring, specifically both battery cables and grounds. If the starter is making said noise -- and I think it's a really big IF -- it sounds more like a partial voltage or ground issue, or maybe ignition switch.

Still, I think we're chasing four problems in four different directions when there may just be one big problem. I'd try to chase the loud bang when driving and see what happens once that is uncovered. It's just difficult to diagnose such a wide variety of symptoms, especially from afar over a keyboard.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:51 PM
BrendonM
Professional

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Well maybe you are getting a backfire. Has anyone done any ignition work lately? Mixing up certain plug wires will sometimes cause only an occasional misfire. Or maybe your wires are arcing, there was a TSB about wire routing which is often discussed here.

Before you condemn the starter for an odd clicking noise I'd want to lay fingertips on it while the noise is occurring. You should be able to feel it. Then I'd completely disconnect the negative battery terminal while it's occurring -- it should stop immediately. The starter is an electrical component (obviously) so with no power it should be completely incapable of doing anything.

Even if I determined the starter was doing this I'd then look closely at wiring, specifically both battery cables and grounds. If the starter is making said noise -- and I think it's a really big IF -- it sounds more like a partial voltage or ground issue, or maybe ignition switch.

Still, I think we're chasing four problems in four different directions when there may just be one big problem. I'd try to chase the loud bang when driving and see what happens once that is uncovered. It's just difficult to diagnose such a wide variety of symptoms, especially from afar over a keyboard.

I understand. The sound while accelerating just happened again otw to work. I pressed the gas to go from a red light and it was a little pop coming from the engine bay. Let go off the pedal. Pressed the gas again than a louder pop. Let go and repeat, didn’t happen a 3rd time. It kinda echos through the cab of the truck. I would like to start with this sound and my weird oil pressure issues. However, I’m broke as hell right now lol so it’s gonna have to wait.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:43 PM
BrendonM
Professional

After holding the starter in my hand with the clicking sound occurring. I cannot feel a click and with my ear directly next to it, it does actually sound like it’s coming from within my oil pan. Bottom end of the engine and that leads me to ask what the hell could be making a rhythmic clicking after turn off from within my oil pan with the engine off. As I said, within the first 5 seconds after shut off, it’s a super fast clicking. Then it clicks slowly. After about 1 min - 2 min it’s an extremely slow click lasting about 5-8 maybe even 10 mins after shut off and it sounds absolutely NOTHING like the exhaust cooling down.

my next question is.. could my pickup screen be in a somewhat clogged condition causing a sound to occur? Like oil trying to get past it or something.

I have to do the pan gasket so at this point I’m just gonna have to start looking around and really digging into it. Ima learn how to read ODB live data a little bettter and see if something is up with my O2 sensors and continue searching for vacuum leaks and such. I have yet to check my plenum so we’ll see how that goes

As for my ignition system, I have no idea. I did all spark plugs, wires, distributor and rotor. All myself. I did it all at once and the truck wouldn’t start and set for a week and it drove me insane and it ended up being the timing. It backfired with starting fluid so I knew it was the timing. We had good spark on all plugs and the coil as well. I didn’t touch timing or anything. Firing order was completely correct. Distributor wasn’t 180 out.

So with that said, my “family mechanic” came by while I was at work and did the timing. My dad said he flooded it a few times over. Cranking it and pressing the gas. Rotating the engine or whatever. I have no idea as I wasn’t home.

im almost somewhat certain some of my spark plugs are over torqued. I didn’t have a torque wrench at the time and just went with what i thought was right. After thinking about how tight I might’ve put them in and checking them, I checked them maybe 2 weeks ago and the gap definitely isn’t what it was supposed to be. From 0.40 out the box to about 0.35 or lower I’m not entirely sure how to the read this gap tool yet.

Last edited by BrendonM; 05-21-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

If you had the distributor out you may have fuel sync issues:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...fuel-sync.html

IMO spark plug torque with iron heads just ain't a big deal. Get 'em gutentight and move one. Plug torque does not affect gap-- if something is touching that plug when installed you have MUCH bigger issues.

As for your ticking noise, I have no further good or bad guesses

Old 05-21-2023, 08:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Never trust spark plug gap right out of the box. Given what I have seen various folks do with packages they are delivering, I would be stunned if they were all still accurate. I ALWAYS check plug gap before installation.

As for how tight.... if they are tapered seat plugs, screw 'em in until they are seated, that turn the wrench and additional five minutes. (like on a clock.) If they have the crush washer on the seat, tighten till the washer seats, then another quarter turn.

As for your ticking, there is nothing in the engine that would do that. I would suspect that what you are hearing is things cooling off, and contracting......

Quick Reply: Clunking and Noises