2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My 01 Ram 5.2 won’t start but turns over fast as it ever did..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 04:57 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks HeyYou.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Could be a failing PCM......
There’s 2 grounds out of a dozen that I haven’t gotten to yet.
The ones on the front of the left head that I replaced 7-8 years ago but I didn’t soldier them. They broke while doing a water pump but the huge one is definitely making contact because it’s turning over strong.
And the one from the cowl or firewall going directly to the PCM.
I cleaned the end going to the cowl or firewall but I couldn’t get the little screw out of the computer because it really felt like i was going to snap the head off.
Would it be worth my while to try and get it off or drill it out if it snaps off and see if that would cure my old girl ??
Thanks very much 🙏🏻

Last edited by 2001RamGuy; 09-26-2023 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Those are fun. Aluminum case, steel bolt.... chemistry, and the two become one. Chemicals, and tapping it with a hammer might help..... Or, if it breaks off, could always try one of the other bolts.

The following users liked this post:
2001RamGuy (09-26-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 02:52 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thanks HeyYou, appreciate your help..

Unfortunately spraying chemicals on the ground bolt did not work and it snapped off at the head.
(Pic below)
But thanks for the advice HeyYou !!
I was able to get one of the ones on the left out though and cleaned up the screw on my grinder/wire brush wheel and sanded the PCM until it was shiny as a spoon before reattaching it.
It is definitely grounded.
Yesterday at 6pm it started for 15 mins and died, then it ran again for 15 mins and died.
The more times I kept restarting it and the hotter it got it kept shutting of more frequently.
Until eventually now after 8 Hours working on it it won’t even run for a minute.
I used my Mig welding tip cleaners to clean up some of the plugs on the harness plugs because they looked a bit black but that didn’t work either.
(Pic below)
Earlier when it was not so hot I touched the third plug (on the right)
and it shut down and then after it was down I wiggled it again and it would start back up, but once it got really hot that is not happening anymore.
That’s why I thought I should clean out all the female plugs on the right connector.
I’m seeing 5v at the TPS and the air flow sensor just next to it but (no spark and no fuel)
I saw a video on YouTube earlier where a tech said if the computer is gone you will not get a 5v reference on these 2 wires.. (Pic below)
I’m going to post 3-4 pictures so you or anyone can see and maybe in their situation it just might work if it is

a bad ground or contact on one of the plugs.
I’m not a electrical Wizz tech and never was much into diagnosing PCM and so forth issues but I’ve learned so much and I’m so great full for everyone help.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If wiggling one of the connectors can make it run, or not..... chances are it's a board level problem, and its time for a replacement PCM. Solder joints go bad, circuit boards crack, etc..... and the connection gets bad as things warm up.

Try this: Let it run until it quits, and is reluctant to start. Slap an ice pack on the pcm for a bit, see if it will start and stay running. If it will, there's the problem.

2001RamGuy (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 06:15 PM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thanks HeyYou 👍

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If wiggling one of the connectors can make it run, or not..... chances are it's a board level problem, and its time for a replacement PCM. Solder joints go bad, circuit boards crack, etc..... and the connection gets bad as things warm up.

Try this: Let it run until it quits, and is reluctant to start. Slap an ice pack on the pcm for a bit, see if it will start and stay running. If it will, there's the problem.
I guess I should grab a bag of ice next time I can borrow some wheels and give that a try.
Hopefully it was not just a coincidence that it shut off right when i touched the plug..
One time 2-3, weeks ago I thought banging on the gas tank was fixing it because it would start after hitting it but that turned out to be a coincidence.
I checked every sensor connection and a few others last night for corrosion or damage and all looks good.
Holy cow what a spot to put the crank position sensor plug 😲. Behind the distributor. It took me almost an hour to get it and the Cam position sensor plugs apart. The plastic locks on the connectors wouldn’t budge. I guess heat has dried up the plastic plugs on the vehicle’s harness and they are not so bendable anymore..
Thank You and everyone else for the help.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, dodge picked some cherry spots for a few of those sensors/connectors..... Just reinforces my belief that engineers HATE technicians.

2001RamGuy (10-01-2023)

Quick Reply: My 01 Ram 5.2 won’t start but turns over fast as it ever did..