2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

vibration on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 11:59 AM
NockedOut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vibration on acceleration

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 SLT 4x4 Lifted (6" not sure)

There is a vibration in what feels to be the entire truck when add any power to the motor while in Drive. If rolling down the road at 5, 20, 40mph and it is tossed into Numeral the vibration is completely gone.
(45 and up there is a constant but slight vibration. big tires or something idk).
Side note: I've put the rear end up on a jack stand so the tire can free spin and have observed the drive shaft spinning. No binding observed or heard. Tires seams to spin without looking like they were "off balance". Transfer case in neutral transmission in drive revving engine produces no vibration.

New transmission installed les then 10k mils ago. whole front end steering linkages replaced (<500 mils). ball joints looked good. all shocked replaced. (<500 mils) Just replaced the U-joints in rear drive shaft, transfer case side and axle side. Vibration greatly reduced but far from gone. (O'rilies "Precision" blew out less then 50 mils down the road (Axel side))

Last edited by NockedOut; 01-23-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Any warranty left on your trans? I would be tempted to take it back, show them what it is doing, see what they have to say.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:54 PM
NockedOut

The trans still has 2.5 year warranty on it thankfully. I will send the truck back to the transmission guys as soon as get a new drive shaft stuffed back in, see if they can check it out without removing it. that will take a month or so for them to get it in, they are crazy busy.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:45 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

So what if you're in D and put it to the wood? Will it downshift as it should and does the vibe then go away?

Old 01-23-2024, 06:49 PM
NockedOut

So once in "D" taking off slow or petal to the metal the vibration is consistent. Unfortunately, I cannot do any testing as the drive line is currently in the bed as it fell out once the U-joint busted. New one should be showing up in a few days.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:51 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Which U-joint failed - front or rear? Lastly, does the driveshaft have the center bearing in the middle?

Old 01-24-2024, 10:17 AM
NockedOut

So the drive shaft is a 1 part shaft I think but I'd call it 3 part, but what ever.
The U-joint at the rear flange blew up. also, flaring out the rear flange. no Carrier bearing/Center bearing.
Added the pic of the one that is in the truck now.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:24 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Good that the rear U-joint went out. I once lost a front U-joint that was installed incorrectly by a friend. When it went, it bent the output shaft of the transmission and busted the transmission case. That was some costly carnage.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:36 AM
NockedOut

Dear gawd, seems like I lucked out. hopefully with the new drive shaft I'll luck out and most of the vibration will be gone.
Also taking it in on the 26th of this month (Jan) to ensure that Axel is sitting at a correct angle. Basically I don't trust whoever put the 4-link and lift in the truck.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:11 PM
NockedOut

Update: Drive line has been ordered expected by the 31 of Jan.
- Last one bounced off the concreate and banged up the ears or lobes or whatever the holes for the U-joints are called, and the rear flange completely jacked.
- Next update will probly be a week or so out before I have any good updates on the shake.

Quick Reply: vibration on acceleration