2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 dodge ram 1500 4wd front end issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 10:55 PM
KameronG11
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 dodge ram 1500 4wd front end issue

I just rebuilt my front end with new track bar, sway bar links, tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, steering stabilizer, replaced my shocks with rancho 5000s. Everything on it was original on the truck. I'm still having a rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the truck and there's sort of a clunk from the driver's side. Its only makes noise going down a rough road hitting bumps and Cracks and what not. I haven't got an alignment yet but I've also noticed that the truck will veer left then right real fast and was wondering if that's because I put the kyb steering stabilzer on it which looks small and I'm running 285/70/17.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:58 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Well you don't mention control arm bushings so we have to ask how they look?

Darting or poor tracking is going to be an alignment issue, or I suppose theoretically control arm bushings if they're REALLY bad

Old 03-03-2024, 11:04 PM
KameronG11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Well you don't mention control arm bushings so we have to ask how they look?

Darting or poor tracking is going to be an alignment issue, or I suppose theoretically control arm bushings if they're REALLY bad
welp i didnt replace them but im wishing i did now. Im sure theyre shot just like everything else was. I just didnt know they could make those rattling and clunking noises

Old 03-03-2024, 11:27 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

As mentioned, check closely those control arm bushings, in addition to the sway bar frame bushings.

Did you also replace the front axle U-joints behind each wheel, along with the wheel bearings?

Once you complete all of the suspension repairs, plan to have the front end of the truck aligned by a competent alignment shop.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:29 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by KameronG11
welp i didnt replace them but im wishing i did now. Im sure theyre shot just like everything else was. I just didnt know they could make those rattling and clunking noises
Not necessarily but you do need to inspect them. They locate the axle fore/aft so as you're driving forward and hitting bumps they get loaded, or when you brake.

I've personally never seen them need replacement on the 2nd Gens I service, but others here have.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

How are the u-joints in the front axle?

Old 03-04-2024, 10:09 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How are the u-joints in the front axle?
He said he did BJs which would require removing the shafts so I just ASSumed he would have run the joints through their paces then.

But yeah, while I've not seen control arm bushings need replacement (personally) virtually every D44 front I touch needs u-joints. They seem to take a lot more road spray than driveshafts by nature of their position, and they're often forgotten about compared to driveshaft joints, too.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:18 PM
KameronG11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Keith_L
He said he did BJs which would require removing the shafts so I just ASSumed he would have run the joints through their paces then.

But yeah, while I've not seen control arm bushings need replacement (personally) virtually every D44 front I touch needs u-joints. They seem to take a lot more road spray than driveshafts by nature of their position, and they're often forgotten about compared to driveshaft joints, too.
yeah the front axle u joints are good, both wheel hubs are brand new. The control arm bushings look decent. I'm not sure what else to check. I know I can push on my wheels and shake the whole truck which I'm not sure if that's normal or not. There's not any noticeable squeaking or thumping when I do it until I start driving over bumps and cracks in the road

Old 03-04-2024, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

If your front u-joints have grease zerks, hit 'em with some.

Quick Reply: 97 dodge ram 1500 4wd front end issue