2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

this should work, right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:24 PM
daimler_ch5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this should work, right?

so, solid axle swap. right. these are expensive.

im thinking i should be able to get just the axleshafts for a 93- solid axle 4x and put them into my 95. i know the output shafts from the tranny run on opposite sides, but if they are around the same dimensions i should just be able to flop them and change the pinion gears so the spin the right way, shouldnt i?

i know that dynatrac makes a kit for solid axleshaft conversions, but besides that i dont have $3000 to spend, im running a dana 44 and the dynatrack kit is for the 60's.

if you now anything about the axleshaft dimensions on both the 93- and 94+ dana 44's for dodge, please tell me. i really think this could work, but i need some measurements first.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: this should work, right?

Huh? You already have solid axles. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. [>:]

If you're just trying to use the shafts, then you'd be better off having custom ones made. And you're still gonna run into a problem with the hubs. You'd basically be running in 4wd all the time. [>:]

Also, they've been using CAD since 1985 (it was called Ram-Trac back then IIRC).

Old 02-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Tani1500
Champion

are you talking about going to manual hubs?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:02 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yea im way confused of what your trying to accomplish

Old 02-10-2006, 02:51 AM
daimler_ch5

sorry for the confusion.

i want to swithc out my shafts so that i have a one peice axleshaft on each side that disconnects with a selectable hub rather than a two peice shaft on each side that disconnects from the center. i basically want to get rid of the cad system all together. i didnt know they use it since 85, so thanks for that info anyhow.

i hope this clarifies things a little. ask again if you are still confused.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:21 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i see now...youd have to search around for a dana that doesnt have the cad device in it...

Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 AM
daimler_ch5

right right, but my biggest question is on the length and spline count of the solid shafts. i need to know if when i go to the scrapyard or online to buy new crhommoly ones from a truck made before i guess 1985 according to Burning Rom, that they will fit in my axle housing without any major modification. i plan on having to change the pinions anyhow, and probably a ring gear with that, and i realize that i basically have to do a lot of measuring to find a seal that will fit, but will the shafts themselves fit in the space allotted without dramatically changing where my wheels sit?

i know this all sounds kind of strange, but i think if i can get enough information on all the different 44's i can convert to one piece axleshafts without spending an arm and a leg for a newer 60 or something that will fit that doesnt have cad. i know a lot of guys have done swaps for ford axles, or at least ford steering gear, but i just dont have that kind of money, and im not afraid of all the work this will involve.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:55 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I guess I'm still not understanding WHY you want to go to one piece shafts. Is it just to eliminate the CAD? If so, there are ways to go about doing that without changing shafts. ( http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/ for example )

As for the older axles, I think the axle tube lengths on the older Dana 44s (with the passenger side drop) were different than the lengths on the newer driver side drop CAD axles. If it wasn't snowing out right now [:'(], I'd go measure the Dana 44 on my Ramcharger for you....it's non-CAD. And the gen 1 forum is usually dead around here, otherwise you could go ask someone there to measure their axle.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:15 PM
daimler_ch5

its really more that im worried about breaking shafts, and the cad systems, wheather vacuum or manually controlled, seem to be a lot weaker. im in a slow process of building up my truck to the point where it wont get much highway use, but rather be able to do some serious off roading, and i dont want to spend a ton on brand new axles.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Tani1500
Champion

if you going to be doing offroading like that. i would just swap in a 60 and be done with it. ive never heard of anyone really breaking the cad system offroading. i wouldnt worry about it. i think if anything its going to be the u joints that will fail first.

Quick Reply: this should work, right?