2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front shock install on 2gen RAM

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:23 PM
sysengr1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front shock install on 2gen RAM

I need some input on whether I want to attempt this project with 3 hrs. of sunlight left ;-). I installed my two rear Edelbrock IAS shocks yesterday afternoon and new diff cover/fluid in about 2 hours. It wasn't much of a problem, but the front shocks are making me nervous. From what I'm seeing and (from what I've heard) this can be done fairly easily also. Place front end on jackstands, floor jack under lower control arm for manipulating it, and remove the shock/replace, turning wheel right to left for each side. Am i missing anything or does anyone have more detailed instructions (link?).

Thanks!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 09:26 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Default RE: Front shock install on 2gen RAM

i'd pull off the wheels completely before you do the install. also it's only easy if they are not rusted. i'd say do it when you have more time. i'd check the mounts and see if they are rusted, if they are soak them up with some lube, wd40 works, and hit it with a couple more hours of light.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:35 PM
sysengr1
Rookie

You're right, I may just drop off at my mech tomorrow am and let him handle that end. My undercarriage is remarkable rust-free though. I don't think this truck has ever seen dirt. Bolt-seize shouldn't be a problem. A little PB "penetrating catalyst" (good stuff, by the way) made the rear super easy to change.

I'm kinda scared of the front end :-)

Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

eh you can do it save yourself some bank.. i'd just wait until i'd have a good six hours at least just to be on the safe side. never know when something might pop up.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:47 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

front end is just as easy... no worries... shoot that front up with some PB tonight and tackle it tomorow night... really dont have to put it jacks either.. just makes it a bit easier to get to the bottom bolts... IIRC the bottom nut is welded onto the mounted braket .. just gotta screw out the bolt ... top end... hold to VERY top of the bolt with vise grips ( youll see at the very tip it has a point on it that is flat sided on each side... you can grap ion there ..even a right size wrench would work) and start to bring up the nut... then there will be 3 bolts that hold the shock tower onto the frame... only bolt those nuts and slide the shock out... replace is backwards... pregrease the bushings so the slide in easier..they are gonna be fatter and thicker and will need some perswaysiion (sp?) to sit good... just soak up with some PB (worth its weight in gold BTW, and a bitch to find up here LOL) tonight and swap tomorow night

Old 04-19-2006, 10:07 PM
sysengr1
Rookie

yeaaahhh, with the rear, getting the new shock bushing to fit back into the mounts was the hardest part! Especially the exhaust (passgr) side, the top mount is UP IN THERE. And they're urethane mounts with the new shocks, even stiffer. Good info, I'm pushing it this afternoon. Started drinking the beer already, so it's probably best to wait till tomorrow. I'm going to give her a go tomorrow after work.... Thanks guys!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:37 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

BEER!!!

TOAST ONE FOR ME!!

damn homework and computer going out on me. gotta love having access at the labs on campus

Old 04-19-2006, 10:43 PM
sysengr1
Rookie

Lucky guy. If I was still in school..... Ahh, the times I had. SNAP!! Ok, back to reality. I need my front shocks installed!!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:47 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

luck has nothing to do with it. i've worked for it.

anyone want to buy a computer? only three years old!! GREAT working condition...... if you put it back together after i throw it out the window.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 PM
sysengr1
Rookie

ONLY 3 years old???? ;-)

Quick Reply: Front shock install on 2gen RAM